Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conor71

Quote from: George on July 16, 2011, 05:55:06 AM
As much as I love their big hit single, I never bothered to get an album. Let me know if any of them rise to the level of that song?

The Album (with Under the Milky Way) Starfish is excellent and would be a good starting point George (it was for me too!) :)

[asin]B000002VF0[/asin]
[/size]
[/size]I also like Heyday and Gold Afternoon fix as well - I would recommend any of these 3 and think if you ever find one in a bargain Bin you wouldnt be disappointed! :D

George

Quote from: Conor71 on July 16, 2011, 07:14:34 PM

The Album (with Under the Milky Way) Starfish is excellent and would be a good starting point George (it was for me too!) :)

[asin]B000002VF0[/asin]
[/size]
[/size]I also like Heyday and Gold Afternoon fix as well - I would recommend any of these 3 and think if you ever find one in a bargain Bin you wouldnt be disappointed! :D

Thanks!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Conor71

More albums by the Church (I have quite a bit of catching up to do with this band!) :):

Mirror Image

My first non-classical purchase in quite some time:

Bought this for $30 brand new, sealed from Newbury Comics and it was the last one they had.

George

Quote from: Conor71 on July 16, 2011, 08:41:51 PM
More albums by the Church (I have quite a bit of catching up to do with this band!) :):

Good thing it's Sunday.  0:)

Conor71

Bought this today:

[asin]B001UXJQHY[/asin]

Mirror Image

Bought these two today:

[asin]B004Y1USJE[/asin]

This is the band's first official studio recording in more than decade. In this recording, they have returned to their sound from Drama.

[asin]B004UHPU1I[/asin]

This isn't "King Crimson" per se, but a King Crimson Projekct recording. The recording has received mixed reviews, but I'm always up for seeing what one of my favorite groups has been up to. Got to love the Fripp!

Conor71

A couple more to satisfy my recent obsession with The Church!  :D :

George

Quote from: Conor71 on July 28, 2011, 12:59:40 PM
A couple more to satisfy my recent obsession with The Church!  :D :

From henceforth, ye shall be known as Cardinal Conor. :)

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 25, 2011, 09:33:52 AM
[asin]B004UHPU1I[/asin]

This isn't "King Crimson" per se, but a King Crimson Projekct recording. The recording has received mixed reviews, but I'm always up for seeing what one of my favorite groups has been up to. Got to love the Fripp!

That disc is on my wishlist but it is very expensive so I haven't bought it yet. Interested to hear your opinion of it.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on July 29, 2011, 06:49:47 AM
That disc is on my wishlist but it is very expensive so I haven't bought it yet. Interested to hear your opinion of it.

Will do, 71 dB. As you know this is a departure for the typical King Crimson sound, so much so that Fripp called this a King Crimson Projekct. It's supposed to be a very textural, laid-back album.

The 2-CD deluxe edition is expensive, but the normal standard CD release isn't a bad price.

Conor71

Quote from: George on July 28, 2011, 01:14:09 PM
From henceforth, ye shall be known as Cardinal Conor. :)

I like it!  :D   ;)

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 29, 2011, 06:31:26 PM
Will do, 71 dB. As you know this is a departure for the typical King Crimson sound, so much so that Fripp called this a King Crimson Projekct. It's supposed to be a very textural, laid-back album.

There is a typical King Crimson sound?  ;D

I have these ProjeKcts:

ProjeKct One - Live at the Jazz Cafe
ProjeKct Two - Live Groove
ProjeKct Two - Space Groove
ProjeKct Three - Masque
ProjeKct Four - West Coast Live

Textural? Sounds good. Laid-back? Ok, sounds like a relaxing album.

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 29, 2011, 06:31:26 PMThe 2-CD deluxe edition is expensive, but the normal standard CD release isn't a bad price.

You are right. I didn't even realize there is a CD only version too. I have had the CD+DVD version on my wishlist. The DVD might be interesting, at least for the multichannel version of the album.

Just recently I got into Carly Simon. Also, I just bought my first Blu-ray player. So, there's tons of stuff to buy...  ???

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on July 31, 2011, 01:05:07 AM
There is a typical King Crimson sound?  ;D

I have these ProjeKcts:

ProjeKct One - Live at the Jazz Cafe
ProjeKct Two - Live Groove
ProjeKct Two - Space Groove
ProjeKct Three - Masque
ProjeKct Four - West Coast Live

Textural? Sounds good. Laid-back? Ok, sounds like a relaxing album.

You are right. I didn't even realize there is a CD only version too. I have had the CD+DVD version on my wishlist. The DVD might be interesting, at least for the multichannel version of the album.

I haven't heard this new recording yet, but as I have said it got very mixed reviews, which, for me, is a good thing, it means it stirred up, at least, some controversy amongst King Crimson fans.

Usually, I'm not interested in the deluxe sets UNLESS I can get the set for a good price, if not, I just opt for just the one CD.

Speaking of KC, do you have a favorite recording?

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 31, 2011, 07:15:55 PM
I haven't heard this new recording yet, but as I have said it got very mixed reviews, which, for me, is a good thing, it means it stirred up, at least, some controversy amongst King Crimson fans.

Yeah, mixed reviews means usually bolder, more creative work. Many fans want their favorite bands to make the same album that made them fans in the first place over and over again.  ???

Fans often think they know better than the band. That's crazy. Fans are entitled to dislike any album of a band but saying that album is made a wrong way is lunacy. Robert Fripp can say a KC album is a mistake.  :D

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 31, 2011, 07:15:55 PMUsually, I'm not interested in the deluxe sets UNLESS I can get the set for a good price, if not, I just opt for just the one CD.

In most cases I can get those "deluxe" sets for reasonable price. If not then I might go for the "standard edition". In this case I wasn't even aware of the CD only version because Amazon recommended the CD+DVD version for me and I just added it in my wishlist (where I can easily monitor the prices of the products I want).

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 31, 2011, 07:15:55 PMSpeaking of KC, do you have a favorite recording?

There is not one superior KC album as all of them are more or less great. Lizard is one that I am especially fond of. In general I like the Lizard - Red period because of stronger classical/jazz influences. On the other hand I like The ConstruKction of Light and The Power to Believe very much for their futuristic nature. My least favorite KC album is perhaps In the Wake of Poseidon.

I don't have that many live recordings yet (I found the damn band just 3 years ago!) but Heavy ConstruKction 3 CD set kicks ass!  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2011, 01:49:08 AM
Yeah, mixed reviews means usually bolder, more creative work. Many fans want their favorite bands to make the same album that made them fans in the first place over and over again.  ???

Fans often think they know better than the band. That's crazy. Fans are entitled to dislike any album of a band but saying that album is made a wrong way is lunacy. Robert Fripp can say a KC album is a mistake.  :D

As long as the band maintains a high artistic integrity and ingenuity, then I'm onboard all the way. I may not like what they're doing, but these kinds of things can change. I remember when I first heard Radiohead's The Bends, I absolutely hated it, but now I consider it a classic of Alternative rock.

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2011, 01:49:08 AMThere is not one superior KC album as all of them are more or less great. Lizard is one that I am especially fond of. In general I like the Lizard - Red period because of stronger classical/jazz influences. On the other hand I like The ConstruKction of Light and The Power to Believe very much for their futuristic nature. My least favorite KC album is perhaps In the Wake of Poseidon.

I don't have that many live recordings yet (I found the damn band just 3 years ago!) but Heavy ConstruKction 3 CD set kicks ass!  :)

I'm a big fan of the Adrian Belew period (Disciple through The Power to Believe). I remember liking Red a good deal and Larks' Tongues in Aspic, but it has been a few years since I've listened to any of their 70s albums. I think I may start with Lizard since you enjoy it so much.

A few live KC albums I liked that you may want to check out:

[asin]B00064WSOG[/asin]
[asin]B000F3A7LY[/asin]
[asin]B000V8MRBG[/asin]

Conor71

Purchased a couple of downloads today:

Mirror Image

Just bought the new Paul Motian recording with Bill Frisell:

[asin]B004LE10SM[/asin]

karlhenning

Although I went to the Cambridgeside Galleria to visit Sears, I did step into Borders [non-classical phase] . . . .

[asin]B00000JC6D[/asin]
Béla Fleck, The Bluegrass Sessions: Tales From The Acoustic Planet, Vol. 2

[asin]B000002AHM[/asin]
Jn McLaughlin, Al Di Meola & Paco de Lucia, Friday Night in San Francisco - Live

[asin]B004NTMNB8[/asin]
The Cars, Move Like This

[asin]B000002JUC[/asin]
Jim Croce, Photographs & Memories: His Greatest Hits

Two of these (the Bela Fleck & the McLaughlin/Di Meola/de Lucia) are restorations to the library. $21.25 total for the four albums.