Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Purchased some more Iona (two of these I already owned, but they have been remastered on the band's Open Sky label). The other one is a live album I didn't own:

Karl Henning

Landed yesterday:

[asin]B0000009SB[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Quote from: George on December 06, 2011, 08:43:54 PM

Nous arrivâmes, ma Rolls et moi, dans une zone dangereuse....  8)

great album  ;D
Olivier

George

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 07, 2011, 11:59:22 AM
Nous arrivâmes, ma Rolls et moi, dans une zone dangereuse....  8)

great album  ;D

Haven't heard it yet, but I am surprised to see it's so short. 27:57  :o

Papy Oli

Quote from: George on December 07, 2011, 12:55:36 PM
Haven't heard it yet, but I am surprised to see it's so short. 27:57  :o

don't worry, you won't be short-changed... you'll find you might just press replay quite often...    ;)
Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on December 07, 2011, 08:49:12 AM
Landed yesterday:

[asin]B0000009SB[/asin]

Nice, Karl. :D I haven't heard that box set in many years. I told you the story of myself running across about 40-50 Zappa recordings in a used CD store right? I hit the jackpot that day. 8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on December 06, 2011, 08:43:54 PM

You know, George, the gatefold LP version of that recording has a a prominent place in my music library.

My first wife spent 1968/69 studying in France. She brought back a love of French pop. I caught the disease: Piaf, Jacques Brel, Serge Reggiani, Georges Moustaki, France Gall, Jane Birkin, Gainsbourg.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 08, 2011, 04:18:21 PM
I need those DVDs, too: are they a box set, Sarge?
Laura Antonelli is one of my all-time favorite actress, too.
Favorite movie: Wife-Mistress, when she was already a lovely mature lady.

No, not a box set. Individual DVDs but all quite cheap (average price 6, 7 Euro).

Yeah, Wifemistress is one of my favorites too along with The Innocent, Malizia, and Il merlo maschio (Secret Fantasy) about a frustrated cello player, with a hot wife, who never gets to play the solos...until the film's end when Antonelli provides quite a denouement  ;D

Quote from: Coopmv on December 08, 2011, 04:29:32 PM
I first saw her on the silver screen in the mid to late 70's as a young man and she was such a turn on ...    :P

Oh yeah, she was

My first Antonelli film was Malizia (Malicious). I saw it with my first wife in March 1975 (yeah, I even remember the month  :D --it was a memorable evening in so many ways).

Quote from: Bulldog on December 08, 2011, 04:35:33 PM
I never heard of her, but some photos of her as a young woman are stunning.  I'd ask her out.

Only a handful of her films are known in America. She has a quite extensive filmography though. Her career ended in 1991 at age 50 when she was convicted of cocaine possession (the conviction eventually overturned).

Here are the DVDs (another one, Tigers in Lipstick, arrived today). Le spie vengon (Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs) is the Italian remake of Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine. Both star Vincent Price...although somewhat surprisingly his name doesn't appear on the Italian cover.

Sarge

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 09, 2011, 12:43:37 AM
You know, George, the gatefold LP version of that recording has a a prominent place in my music library.

8)

QuoteMy first wife spent 1968/69 studying in France. She brought back a love of French pop. I caught the disease: Piaf, Jacques Brel, Serge Reggiani, Georges Moustaki, France Gall, Jane Birkin, Gainsbourg.

Sarge

What about Francoise Hardy? I have (and love) her 1962-67 4CD set, The Complete Vogue Recordings.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on December 09, 2011, 04:20:02 AM
What about Francoise Hardy? I have (and love) her 1962-67 4CD set, The Complete Vogue Recordings.

Don't know her music at all. I'll have to check it out.

Sarge

George

Let me know if you have trouble finding it. It's apparently the best mastering of her best work.

Here's some info on it - http://www.allmusic.com/album/integrale-disques-vogue-1962-1967-the-complete-vogue-recordings-r237575

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on December 09, 2011, 05:10:20 AM
Let me know if you have trouble finding it. It's apparently the best mastering of her best work.

Here's some info on it - http://www.allmusic.com/album/integrale-disques-vogue-1962-1967-the-complete-vogue-recordings-r237575

Haven't found it yet. Did find this which seems to be a reissue of those four CDs plus four more includng her English versions.

Sarge

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 09, 2011, 05:18:47 AM
Haven't found it yet. Did find this which seems to be a reissue of those four CDs plus four more includng her English versions.

Sarge

Yeah, I saw that when I did a search. I haven't heard it, so I don't know how good the sound is.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on December 09, 2011, 05:23:57 AM
Yeah, I saw that when I did a search. I haven't heard it, so I don't know how good the sound is.

Neither Amazon FR nor DE have clips (not that they'd help much). At Amazon FR Dunis Gilles seems to think it sounds good:

Superbe remastérisation, beaucoup de titres en VRAI stéréo,d'autres en bi-monoral quelques VRAI mono,du travail soigné etle cd6 en Anglais,stéréo very good indeed...

Love the English at the end  :D  Amazon FR offers it much cheaper than DE: just 30 Euro for 8 CDs. I'll probably order it.

Sarge

kishnevi

Arrived yesterday, complete with the Field Guide to Frostbite Falls:

I remember watching these as a kid; I didn't realize that they were reruns even then, since the original broadcasts began the year I was born, and ended when I was 5.

But watched the first hour last night, and it's still great.

There is btw a connection to opera: Boris Badenov's name was meant as a twist on Boris Godunov.

And much of it was produced in a Mexican studio, so apparently the US was outsourcing fifty years ago.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 09, 2011, 07:45:30 AM

I remember watching these as a kid; I didn't realize that they were reruns even then, since the original broadcasts began the year I was born, and ended when I was 5.

But watched the first hour last night, and it's still great.

There is btw a connection to opera: Boris Badenov's name was meant as a twist on Boris Godunov.

And much of it was produced in a Mexican studio, so apparently the US was outsourcing fifty years ago.

Partly as a result of your pull of the trigger, Jeffrey, I've resumed my gradual revisit through this.  Just began season 2 last night.  This is the best sort of nostalgia.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 09, 2011, 07:45:30 AM

Great television. I'm old enough to recall the show from the original broadcasts (1959-64). Does anyone remember a sort of Rocky spin-off called Hoppity Hooper that was also produced by Jay Ward's team?

The style was similar to Rocky and I think I even liked it better. But I haven't seen it since its first run (1964-67). I wonder if it really was as good as I remember...or whether I'm just fonder of frogs than squirrels  ;D

Sarge

Karl Henning

Well, I went to F.Y.E. with an eye to picking up some Bach. However, where through yesterday the store was having a Renovation Sale (30% off everything on the fourth and fifth floors, incl. classical music), now they're running a Liquidation Sale, 20%-50% everything in the store.  Curiously, the result is that items in the classical music department which I might have bought at 30% off yesterday, are marked down only 20% to-day.

. . . which brings me to the present thread.  This summer past, I picked up the first, second, fourth & fifth seasons of Columbo . . . I think that even then, I suspected that I was skirting The Rabbit-Hole.  So, now that the DVDs are 30% off at F.Y.E., I fetched in:

[asin]B0009NZ36O[/asin]

[asin]B000HT3Q1Y[/asin]

[asin]B001JNNDRY[/asin]

With my 10% loyalty discount, these came to $71.

God bless us, every one!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Do we have to stick with music in this thread? If not, then checkout this Christmas gift....