Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geo Dude

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2012, 09:20:20 AM
Sorry for the late reply, Geo Dude. Woody Shaw's style falls somewhere between hot/cool and his style depends all on the music he's playing and/or who he's playing with. He mostly falls in the bebop style. He's one of the more lyrical trumpeters of his time. He had a great sense of melody and his improvisations are always on a high level. Sometimes pretty daring harmonically. I would start with either Solid or Imagination. I recently listened to a little bit of In My Own Sweet Way and it's quite good as well, but I would definitely start with either of the albums I mentioned.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I enjoy a lot of different types of jazz, but I have difficulty with some of the more abstract, free jazz material and also with machine gun players like Coltrane.  This guy seems right up my alley and I'll look into those two albums.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on March 10, 2012, 10:24:06 AM
Thanks for the recommendation.  I enjoy a lot of different types of jazz, but I have difficulty with some of the more abstract, free jazz material and also with machine gun players like Coltrane.  This guy seems right up my alley and I'll look into those two albums.

Yeah, I think you'll dig him, Geo. A young Woody Shaw can be heard on Horace Silver's Cape Verdean Blues recording which introduced me this truly great trumpeter.

Henk

Quote from: Geo Dude on March 10, 2012, 10:24:06 AM

Check out this album. I think you will like it. I think it's one of the best albums in jazz ever. Very beautiful music. 

[asin]B006CVOJWG[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on March 10, 2012, 10:42:48 AM
Check out this album. I think you will like it. I think it's one of the best albums in jazz ever. Very beautiful music. 

[asin]B006CVOJWG[/asin]

I'm quite familiar with Paolo Fresu. I have many of his recordings. Great trumpeter. His albums that did for Blue Note Records with a quintet were really enjoyable.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Henk on March 10, 2012, 10:42:48 AM

[asin]B006CVOJWG[/asin]

Well, this is certainly more lush than what I'm used to in jazz, but the samples are fascinating.  It's been wish listed.

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2012, 03:14:40 PM
I'm quite familiar with Paolo Fresu. I have many of his recordings. Great trumpeter. His albums that did for Blue Note Records with a quintet were really enjoyable.

Care to name some of his quintet recordings that you enjoyed?

Geo Dude

After starting Calculus For Dummies and the accompanying workbook I realized that my TI-83 was out of commission, so I picked up an update on E-Bay:

TI-84 Silver Plus edition, $55 shipped.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on March 11, 2012, 05:52:19 AM
Well, this is certainly more lush than what I'm used to in jazz, but the samples are fascinating.  It's been wish listed.

Care to name some of his quintet recordings that you enjoyed?

I would just checkout his quintet albums on Blue Note:

[asin]B00076QGJQ[/asin]

[asin]B000OCZBTE[/asin]

[asin]B000FDJ4J0[/asin]

[asin]B000JUBHOY[/asin]

[asin]B000BAQQDO[/asin]

Just to throw another name out there, checkout this album by trumpeter Tim Hagans:

[asin]B000B2YQLG[/asin]

Hagans is a trumpeter you have to watch out for he's very inconsistent, but this album I linked above hits all the right spots. 8)

Henk

Philip Roth - The Human Stain

I want to read something by Roth, and this novel seems to me one of his best.

nico1616

Quote from: Geo Dude on March 11, 2012, 05:01:15 PM
After starting Calculus For Dummies and the accompanying workbook I realized that my TI-83 was out of commission, so I picked up an update on E-Bay:

TI-84 Silver Plus edition, $55 shipped.

Great price, and even a greater calculator.
As a maths teacher, I would never want to be parted from my TI84  :D

Nico
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

DavidW

The 84 is what my students use, and after the latest firmware update is a fantastic calculator.  I personally use the 89.

Geo Dude

It's good to see some calculator appreciation! ;D

David, what do you teach?

DavidW

Geo Dude

Henk

Quote from: Geo Dude on March 13, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

Should be interesting...

I have only the download, I consider to get the disc as well. It's an album to cherish, an enrichment to have in your living room and to spin in your cd-player.

Henk

Geo Dude

Henk

A major release by Bibb.

[asin]B0074LIVNG[/asin]

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2012, 03:14:40 PM

John, don't miss this recording! And, if you dig some blues, get Bibbs' as well!

Henk

Geo Dude

The new erato

[asin]B0018LMZO4[/asin]
[asin]B000UMXCTY[/asin]
[asin]B005KGPLJ4[/asin]

Geo Dude