Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Peter's Us is absolutely essential. Gorgeous and mature.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on April 20, 2014, 09:51:55 AM
Peter's Us is absolutely essential. Gorgeous and mature.

Oh yeah, George, I've heard Us many years ago and really enjoyed it (the best I can remember anyway).

George

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 20, 2014, 09:56:08 AM
Oh yeah, George, I've heard Us many years ago and really enjoyed it (the best I can remember anyway).

I've enjoyed most everything I have heard by him, but Us is something very special.

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on April 20, 2014, 09:58:28 AM
I've enjoyed most everything I have heard by him, but Us is something very special.

I'm really curious to hear the first four albums as I do know No. 1 and Security, but haven't heard Scratch or Melt. I recall reading mixed reviews about them (per usual with such a great musician as Gabriel). You either get him or you don't. I've always loved his work with Genesis, so this seemed like a natural progression. I suppose you could say I've been exploring the various outputs of ex-Genesis members. Lately, I've really been enjoying Anthony Phillips' albums: The Ghost and the Geese, Wise After The Event, and Sides. Have heard any of these, George?

George

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on April 20, 2014, 10:18:48 AM
No, I have,'t, sorry.

No worries. Check those albums out sometime. If you like early Genesis (mainly Trespass period) you may enjoy these albums, although his inherent style has changed quite a bit.

Thread duty:

Again, my dad owns the original of this album (which used to be pretty rare to hunt down -- not sure about now), but I figured I'd buy since I'm an admirer of his own writing and keyboard playing. It's also the 30th Anniversary Edition which features a deluxe packaging and a new remaster. Can't go wrong there. 8)

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Both ...And Then There Were Three and Duke are the newer 2007 remixes/remasters, so I definitely had to pick these up. As for the book Chapter And Verse, I had to have at least one Genesis biography in my collection since this is my favorite band.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on April 21, 2014, 07:01:19 PM
All great stuff, John.

Indeed, Bill. Genesis are my favorite band. 8)

Mirror Image

Just bought:

One of two Ozric Tentacles albums I was missing. The other being Become The Other. If you like psychedelic/space rock, then check out the Ozrics.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Hocus Pocus aside, this is a great album and I'm surprised I didn't own it in my collection already. Eruption is some classic prog rock.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Bought for a great price considering it's pretty rare. Being a Genesis fan, I had to have it.

Mirror Image

Okay, I just couldn't help myself...

Just bought:

All of their live albums with new remixes and 5.1 surround sound mixes. There's a bonus 1973 live concert also that's never been released before. Bought this one for $79 (w/ free shipping) from Newbury Comics via Amazon Marketplace.

Karl Henning

Good deal . . . I may just think about that one eventually . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on April 25, 2014, 05:40:28 AM
Good deal . . . I may just think about that one eventually . . . .

Indeed, Karl. I bought it while I still could. It seems these box sets have been known to disappear and sell for outrageous prices. So I definitely pounced on this bargain.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

HIPster

Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Ken B

Might belong in classical, might not.

[asin]B008LSVL2O[/asin]

Plus another box in the same series of 8 Ellington albums. Good price, 9 each box plus shipping from Azon vendor.

Moonfish

Hmm, is this thread just for music?   Anyways, I could not resist.... 

[asin] B00E5G03I4[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

mn dave

Quote from: Ken B on April 26, 2014, 09:26:46 PM
Might belong in classical, might not.

[asin]B008LSVL2O[/asin]

Plus another box in the same series of 8 Ellington albums. Good price, 9 each box plus shipping from Azon vendor.

Nice!