Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: HIPster on April 26, 2014, 03:35:36 PM
Awesome cover, Bogey!

I hope to have my turntable back up and running soon. . .  ;)

This one is a cd good brother.  Surf's up!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Just bought:

This is Fripp's debut album. My dad owns it but this is the newly remastered, 2-CD edition.

Mirror Image

Bought this last night but forgot to post it:

NJ Joe

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 22, 2014, 06:04:46 PM
Just bought:

One of two Ozric Tentacles albums I was missing. The other being Become The Other. If you like psychedelic/space rock, then check out the Ozrics.

I own a few of their albums, but they've never really clicked.  Listening to them only makes me want to listen to Gong.

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 28, 2014, 01:04:54 PM
Just bought:

This is Fripp's debut album. My dad owns it but this is the newly remastered, 2-CD edition.

I enjoy this one.  Have you listened yet? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Mirror Image

Quote from: NJ Joe on April 30, 2014, 05:13:36 PM
I own a few of their albums, but they've never really clicked.  Listening to them only makes me want to listen to Gong.

I enjoy this one.  Have you listened yet? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

I really like Ozric Tentacles. Now granted, I don't listen to them very much, but if I'm in the mood for some outlandish, psychedelic space rock, then they usually fit the bill quite nicely. I can't say Gong have ever clicked with me, but I'm curious to give them another go at some point. I have a few of their albums.

I've heard Fripp's Exposure years ago, but I don't remember it too well. Whenever I receive my copy and give it a spin, I'll let you know.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 30, 2014, 05:21:19 PM
I've heard Fripp's Exposure years ago, but I don't remember it too well.

Gosh!  That was an album grabbed my by the collar at the first listen!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on May 02, 2014, 08:31:55 AM
Gosh!  That was an album grabbed my by the collar at the first listen!

Yeah, but it's just been a long time since I've heard it. It's hard to believe all the music I've listened from the time of that album until now. Makes me dizzy just thinking about it. :)

Mirror Image

I'm finally clicking with Van der Graaf Generator, so as a result, here's what I bought today:

nico1616

The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

Ken B

A sampler before deciding on the 20 disc box or not

[asin]B00005JA24[/asin]

George

Quote from: Ken B on May 04, 2014, 01:02:31 PM
A sampler before deciding on the 20 disc box or not

May I strongly urge you (and anyone else) to get the 20 disc set? Probably my purchase of the year last year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ELZNH0/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Ken B

Quote from: George on May 04, 2014, 01:25:35 PM
May I strongly urge you (and anyone else) to get the 20 disc set? Probably my purchase of the year last year.

I cancelled the above and got this

[asin]B007IH646W[/asin]

Mostly 50s hard bop but also Kind of Blue (I'll give it another chance), Porgy, and Spain

DavidW

Radiohead Hail to the Thief arrived a few days ago, haven't listened yet.

George

Quote from: DavidW on May 04, 2014, 04:42:52 PM
Radiohead Hail to the Thief arrived a few days ago, haven't listened yet.

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Bought all of the newer 40th Anniversary CD/DVD-A sets from King Crimson 1969-1981 (so far):

My dad already owns the 30th Anniversary series, but I figured I would pick these up since they are new stereo remixes/remasters from Steven Wilson and I'll probably collect the 80s albums as they're released.

Update:

Went ahead and bought the 40th Anniversary CD/DVD-A set of Discipline, but Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair haven't been released yet.

Mirror Image

Bought the 'Deluxe Edition' of Camel's Moonmadness (my favorite Camel album):

Mirror Image

Bought Camel's first three albums plus some more Van Der Graaf Generator:

Moonfish

I wish I had your income MI! But then I would probably need a new house to accommodate all the albums...   ;D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on May 11, 2014, 12:40:34 PM
I wish I had your income MI! But then I would probably need a new house to accommodate all the albums...   ;D

Well, you have to look at it this way: my CD collecting habit is my smoking and drinking money. ;D