Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on September 03, 2014, 04:36:31 PM
Latest purchases:

Great haul, Conor, especially the Bill Evans (my favorite jazz pianist). Can't say I'm too crazy about Mike Oldfield's music, though. His music is quite boring to me, but to each their own.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 03, 2014, 05:30:23 PM
Great haul, Conor, especially the Bill Evans (my favorite jazz pianist). Can't say I'm too crazy about Mike Oldfield's music, though. His music is quite boring to me, but to each their own.

Ditto on the Bill Evans.
  I don't listen to Oldfield, but respect him for achieving instrumental crossover success.
It's all good...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 03, 2014, 07:00:42 PM
Ditto on the Bill Evans.
  I don't listen to Oldfield, but respect him for achieving instrumental crossover success.

I respect Oldfield for what he's achieved, but his music never has done much for me.

Night Vision

^^Thanks for your comments about the Bill Evans purchases guys :D I really love Tubular Bells - I am somewhat fascinated by it at the moment  ???. I haven't heard any of Mike Oldfield's other albums. I do like these ones a lot though!

Mirror Image

I couldn't resist any longer, so I bought:

George

Quote from: Conor71 on September 04, 2014, 04:02:36 AM
^^Thanks for your comments about the Bill Evans purchases guys :D I really love Tubular Bells - I am somewhat fascinated by it at the moment  ???. I haven't heard any of Mike Oldfield's other albums. I do like these ones a lot though!

Bill Evans is one of my all time faves.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 04, 2014, 06:12:03 PM
I couldn't resist any longer, so I bought:

Wow, excellent! - I hope you enjoy these as much as I did. Smashing Pumpkins were a very prolific band - they have tonnes of B-Sides and Out-takes to explore. I was fascinated to hear these - some of their throw-away tracks are as good as anything that made it to the final album I think. If you don't have it aready MI I would recommend the Pisces-Iscariot album which is all their offcuts from the first 2 albums - I think this is their best out-takes compilation. There is a deluxe version of Pisces Iscariot too if you are interested - happy listening! :)

Night Vision

Quote from: George on September 04, 2014, 06:16:46 PM
Bill Evans is one of my all time faves.

I agree Bill Evans is awesome! - Im still fairly new to Jazz and working out what I do and don't like but Evans is definitely in the "like very much" category :)

George

Quote from: Conor71 on September 05, 2014, 03:57:19 AM
I agree Bill Evans is awesome! - Im still fairly new to Jazz and working out what I do and don't like but Evans is definitely in the "like very much" category :)

I recommend these two:

Night Vision

Quote from: George on September 05, 2014, 04:00:19 AM
I recommend these two:

Thanks George :) - I have the Village Vanguard recording already. I cant remember it so I need to listen to it again soon I think. The other one I don't have - I will see if I can download this one from somewhere!

George

Quote from: Conor71 on September 05, 2014, 04:08:15 AM
Thanks George :) - I have the Village Vanguard recording already. I cant remember it so I need to listen to it again soon I think. The other one I don't have - I will see if I can download this one from somewhere!

I like it because it's unlike his other albums, in that he really swings. You can hear the whole album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWKVLeN8YWE

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on September 05, 2014, 03:53:03 AM
Wow, excellent! - I hope you enjoy these as much as I did. Smashing Pumpkins were a very prolific band - they have tonnes of B-Sides and Out-takes to explore. I was fascinated to hear these - some of their throw-away tracks are as good as anything that made it to the final album I think. If you don't have it aready MI I would recommend the Pisces-Iscariot album which is all their offcuts from the first 2 albums - I think this is their best out-takes compilation. There is a deluxe version of Pisces Iscariot too if you are interested - happy listening! :)

Thanks, Conor. 8) I already own Pisces Iscariot, but it has been years since I've listened to it. I do recall enjoying it. What do you think about Gish? Anyway, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness were my favorite albums from them, so why not get the deluxe treatment for these? ;D

Mirror Image

Henk

A pity you did not buy the fourth volume. That one's supposed to be essential.  :D
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on September 05, 2014, 09:56:55 AM
A pity you did not buy the fourth volume. That one's supposed to be essential.  :D

It's not out yet, Henk. I already own all of the Zeppelin albums of course (own the Complete Studio Recordings box set), but have been eagerly anticipating these new remasters. IV and Houses of the Holy will be out next month in the US.

Night Vision

Quote from: George on September 05, 2014, 04:15:38 AM
I like it because it's unlike his other albums, in that he really swings. You can hear the whole album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWKVLeN8YWE

Thanks George I will check this out!

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 05, 2014, 05:25:51 AM
Thanks, Conor. 8) I already own Pisces Iscariot, but it has been years since I've listened to it. I do recall enjoying it. What do you think about Gish? Anyway, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness were my favorite albums from them, so why not get the deluxe treatment for these? ;D

I love Gish! - it has some killer tracks, particularly Snail, Rhinoceros and Daydream. I got the deluxe version of this album too. Some of the off-cuts for Gish are on the Pisces Iscariot album as well :)

Bogey

Quote from: George on September 05, 2014, 04:00:19 AM
I recommend these two:

I have the first...desert island material.  Just added the second to my list.  So many....but grab this one if you dig the live stuff:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

kishnevi

I have the California CD.  There is also this,  and a few other issues listed on Amazon using the key words Bill Evans Village Vanguard, so you may want to explore. I am posting this one because I have seen it at Barnes and Noble.