Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 02:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Banfield and Dickinson rather sound like these 'chaps'

[Waldorf and Statler]

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spenserian

Sad to hear about the Banfield book, but is it still worth acquiring and reading? Does anybody have experience with the later Diana McVeagh biography, does it fare better?

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Spenserian on August 24, 2023, 10:35:43 AMSad to hear about the Banfield book, but is it still worth acquiring and reading? Does anybody have experience with the later Diana McVeagh biography, does it fare better?

Don't get me wrong, Banfield's book is very valuable, it's just I have a feeling that he doesn't like Finzi's music much. Also there's an argument about the English pastoral school and the figure of the minor composer going on that isn't very interesting to me.

McVeagh's book is delightful, she loves Finzi's music. It isn't quite as long or as a detailed as Banfield's book. Both are worth reading though.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Spenserian

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 24, 2023, 05:33:34 PMDon't get me wrong, Banfield's book is very valuable, it's just I have a feeling that he doesn't like Finzi's music much. Also there's an argument about the English pastoral school and the figure of the minor composer going on that isn't very interesting to me.

McVeagh's book is delightful, she loves Finzi's music. It isn't quite as long or as a detailed as Banfield's book. Both are worth reading though.
All right, thanks a lot, I will get both! Are you still willing to sell the book of leters too? I can basically only find it new and very expensive.

Finzi is among the first classical composers that grabbed me as a teenager, next to Copland and Mozart. Someone on Youtube uploaded a lot of his works and their emotional sincrity and sweep captivated me, as did his setting of English poems, as I went on to study English. I've longed to study him in more detail.