Handel...The Harmonious Blacksmith Of Music

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 06, 2007, 06:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Nice, I didn't know Pinnock recorded any of them. Going to check that out.

Jo498

That's the reissue original issue of the Pinnock. He also played the complete 5th suite on an earlier anthology (there is another anthology on crd with older music (Byrd etc.) which I prefer). (The Archiv disc titled Harmonious Blacksmith only has the variations that was included in the Handel re-issue)

[asin]B000024247[/asin]
[asin]B00000E2O2[/asin]
[asin]B00004UB8B[/asin]

NB the d minor suite with the famous Sarabande (orchestrated version used in Barry Lyndon and a Levi's commercial) is not included by Pinnock. It's on the set you already have with an ultra slow performance by Gavrilov
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

I stumbled across this article on the BBC's website.  It's about the clocks at the various British palaces and the horologist who is currently looking after them.  One thing that I read is about a clock that contains (plays) pieces (4) composed specifically for the clock by Handel.  Perhaps one can hear them online?  Or maybe not?  Neat story in any event.  Nice article and beautiful clocks to look at too.  :)

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-54387428

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Handelian

Handel was an amazing man and not just as a composer. He was a real entrepreneur who hired his singers, rehearsed them and the music, produce the operas and put them on and conducted them. And in his spare time he would compose more operas and more music! He really was quite phenomenal. He seem to have not only a musical genius but the genius for organisation as well. I have found reading Dr Jane Glover's book 'Handel in London' very illuminating and would recommend it to anyone. It's very interesting to compare him with Beethoven. Whereas if Beethoven tried to organise a concert he would create chaos, Handel had everything organised to the fingertips. And it can't be that it is because Handel was German because so was LvB

The new erato

I saw your introduction and want to welcome you from a Norwegian Handelian.

Handelian

Quote from: The new erato on November 04, 2020, 01:43:34 PM
I saw your introduction and want to welcome you from a Norwegian Handelian.

Thanks! Your set-up appears more ordered than mine!  :D

Rosalba

Quote from: Handelian on November 04, 2020, 12:18:51 PM
Handel was an amazing man and not just as a composer. He was a real entrepreneur who hired his singers, rehearsed them and the music, produce the operas and put them on and conducted them. And in his spare time he would compose more operas and more music! He really was quite phenomenal. He seem to have not only a musical genius but the genius for organisation as well. I have found reading Dr Jane Glover's book 'Handel in London' very illuminating and would recommend it to anyone. It's very interesting to compare him with Beethoven. Whereas if Beethoven tried to organise a concert he would create chaos, Handel had everything organised to the fingertips. And it can't be that it is because Handel was German because so was LvB

I have been wondering about this book, so thanks for the recommendation.

Happy New Year to all Handel-lovers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y56mMUIn9fY
George Frideric Handel - Concerto Grosso, Op. 6, No. 01 in G Major (HWV 319): Allegro

bhodges

From a January 2 livestream at Wigmore Hall, Harry Bicket and The English Concert in an all-Handel program. Have to say (speaking as a listener for whom Handel is a bit out of my zone), the Concerto Grosso alone is thrilling.

Concerto Grosso in D Op. 6 No. 5 HWV323
Silete venti HWV242
Apollo e Dafne HWV122

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyx2gvJ9yd0

--Bruce

Abdel Ove Allhan

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on April 06, 2007, 06:36:56 PMThis one ought to be a sticky!

But until enough folks catch the Handel bug it will undoubtedly fluctuate.

My newest Handel arrival is a selection from the Concerti Grossi, Op.6 (Manze). Central works in Handel's oeuvre but until now overlooked by yours truly in favor of the operatic works, which, of course, are titans of the stage.

Fine works, the Op.6, and worth every inch of their popularity. Even so I feel the tug of the stage works at every turn. Something missing, I suppose, when 'endless' appoggiaturas (vocal, that is...) are left out of the picture. 8)

Handel's Opus 3 and 6 CG are the Crown Jewels of the Baroque. Corelli's Opus 6 is lovely but I would say they are more like pearls, round, smooth, predictable whereas Handel's encompass dramatic vistas quite beyond Corelli's abilities. Bach's Brandenburgs I would say are the next in line after Handel's Opus 6. I think only Brandenburg 6 achieves parity with the overarching completeness of Handel's Grand Concerti. But mine is of course the minority opinion that strays from the established scholastic norm so deeply ingrained in our pedagogic and academic conventions. I do take comfort from the company of those great artists outside of our contemporary inherited prescriptions: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, G.B. Shaw, Gluck and...Bach himself reportedly said, "[Handel] is the only person I would wish to see before I die, and the only person I would wish to be, were I not Bach."
His opera, oratorios, anthems and secular cantatas alone could cement his status as "...the master of us all!" as Haydn declared. But the instrumental works push him to an unheard of realm. The Academy of Ancient Music recordings with Andrew Manze, Op.6 and Richard Egarr, Op.3 are, for me, the gold standard.  Handel's humanity, drama, sex, epiphanous grandeur and supreme compositional chops gush forth from Manze/Egarr's 13 strings and two continuo players with an "INCOMPARABLE" dash, musicianship, élan, in short, they are as tight as a frog's bu** cheeks.
Music is the most essential yet practically useless endeavor in the entirety of human existence.Yet without music our existence would be comparable to the world of insects."The man that hath no music in himself Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils, Let no such man be trusted."W. Shakespeare

Abdel Ove Allhan

This is a sublime example of Handel's exquisite vocal/orchestral writing.It contains  Silete venti, HWV 242 - Sinfonia and Cecilia, volgi un sguardo, HWV 89
Silete has the transcendently glorious aria "Date serta and the Cecelia has "Tra amplessi innocenti", a deliciously sensuous yet ostensibly chaste duet.

Music is the most essential yet practically useless endeavor in the entirety of human existence.Yet without music our existence would be comparable to the world of insects."The man that hath no music in himself Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils, Let no such man be trusted."W. Shakespeare

The new erato

Thank you for these fine posts about a favorite composer. Much appreciated.

Abdel Ove Allhan

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 25, 2020, 04:48:59 PM400 pages for Havergal Brian and 5 pages for Handel is a crime...  :o

... anyway, I need some more Handel in my life... particularly interested at the moment in his choral music. I love the Coronation Anthems; I finally ordered a Messiah (Pearlman/Boston Baroque recording, which sounded great to my ears)—what are some other great choral works by Handel? Oratorios, cantatas, whatever you've got, I'll take it. Suggested recordings would also be appreciated.

I also really want to hear more of the concerti, especially the organ concertos. Who has made a good recording of these?

Choral music you say? Here is  a choral tour de force by Herr Handel. The 10 plagues of Egypt...pure choral splendor.
You can't go wrong with the AAM (Academy of Ancient Music) with Richard Egarr at the positiv for the complete organ concerti.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U32v8nMLpiQ

The new erato

The Hyperion series of oratorios is very good, and you cannot go wrong with McCreesh on Archiv.

vers la flamme

Bump for the one composer commanding the majority of my attention over the past week.

New discovery is the oboe concertos, beautiful; but I'm also revisiting Messiah and the Latin sacred music (Dixit Dominus, etc). For both, it's Andrew Parrott with his Taverner groups. Stunning performances.

Florestan

This box has been a source of much pleasure as of late.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vers la flamme

I've got two discs of Handel's Italian cantatas, one with Emma Kirkby, the other with Magdalena Kozena. Both are very good, I can't decide which I like better.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 26, 2023, 02:30:03 PMI've got two discs of Handel's Italian cantatas, one with Emma Kirkby, the other with Magdalena Kozena. Both are very good, I can't decide which I like better.
I don't know the Kirkby one, but I recall enjoying Kozena's CD.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Abdel Ove Allhan

Happy Father's Day, Handel!

...Your son,
Franz Joseph Haydn

P.S.-I'm a father too...of the symphony, which makes you the Grandfather of the Symphony.

Abdel Ove Allhan

Handel - Op. 4 Organ Concertos...the very 1st published keyboard concertos. Accept no substitutes.
What glorious, tragic or ebulliant melodies and the development (or not) of them. Richard Eggar delivers masterful solos replete with ingenious and effortless embellishments with tasteful registrations on a crisp, sweet chamber organ rather than earlier efforts on flabby, wheezy instruments. The AMA is brilliant as usual. Everything they touch is pure gold.

DavidW

I love his organ concertos and that recording.  I should try to give it a listen sometime this week.