Haydn Piano Trios

Started by Steve, February 09, 2008, 07:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Looking to explore these acclaimed works. Any suggestions?

Harry

Quote from: Steve on February 09, 2008, 07:24:37 AM

On the label Philips and Brilliant you find all you want to have Steve!
Both budget, I might add.

Gurn Blanston

There are 3 good choices. Depends if you prefer modern instruments or period.

First, Beaux Arts Trio. The ultimate modern instrument version. Can't go wrong.

Trio 1790 on cpo is up to volume 7 of their complete cycle. I have all 7 and am very pleased with them. On the chronologically earliest ones (vol. 7, #34-39, IIRC) they use a harpsichord, but the first 6 are on fortepiano, and very nice.

Finally, the Van Sweiten Trio on Brilliant, complete set. I have read nothing but good about these (here and elsewhere) but I haven't heard them personally. This might be your best choice for value, too.  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Debussy Piano - Cédric Tiberghien - Debussy Images for Piano book 1 pt 3
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Harry

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 09, 2008, 07:37:19 AM

Trio 1790 on cpo is up to volume 7 of their complete cycle. I have all 7 and am very pleased with them. On the chronologically earliest ones (vol. 7, #34-39, IIRC) they use a harpsichord, but the first 6 are on fortepiano, and very nice.

Finally, the Van Sweiten Trio on Brilliant, complete set. I have read nothing but good about these (here and elsewhere) but I haven't heard them personally. This might be your best choice for value, too.  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Debussy Piano - Cédric Tiberghien - Debussy Images for Piano book 1 pt 3

Agreed on all counts. I forgot the CPO, which I bought extremely cheap last year.
So Philips/Brilliant/CPO. ;D

rubio

Quote from: Harry on February 09, 2008, 07:44:50 AM
Agreed on all counts. I forgot the CPO, which I bought extremely cheap last year.
So Philips/Brilliant/CPO. ;D

This HIP set is just fabulous!

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

head-case

Beau Arts is a standard recommendation, but I found them too heavy in Haydn, not the required sparkle and rhythmic verve.  Trio 1790 is the way to go, superb on all counts.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: head-case on February 09, 2008, 07:52:41 AM
Beau Arts is a standard recommendation, but I found them too heavy in Haydn, not the required sparkle and rhythmic verve.  Trio 1790 is the way to go, superb on all counts.

Yes, I would agree with that. I wish I could compare van Sweiten with Trio 1790, but alas, not yet. Trio 1790 is superb though... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Haydn Baryton Trios - Hsu Miller Arico - FJH Trio #087 in a for Baryton, Viola & Cello H 11:087 1st mvmt

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bogey

Quote from: head-case on February 09, 2008, 07:52:41 AM

I would agree that they are not light.  However, I would say they have a shadowy darkness about them rather than a heavy handness.  Just my take.  Having said this though, I absolutely love this Beau Arts set Steve.  
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on February 09, 2008, 07:57:57 AM
I would agree that they are not light.  However, I would say they have a shadowy darkness about them rather than a heavy handness.  Just my take.  Having said this though, I absolutely love this Beau Arts set Steve. 

Well, there is certainly nothing heavy-handed about their playing. It is the sound of modern instruments that adds weight to these works, which weren't built to carry that much. Obviously why I prefer the HIP sets... ;)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Haydn Baryton Trios - Hsu Miller Arico - FJH Trio #087 in a for Baryton, Viola & Cello H 11:087 2nd mvmt

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 09, 2008, 08:09:45 AM
Well, there is certainly nothing heavy-handed about their playing. It is the sound of modern instruments that adds weight to these works, which weren't built to carry that much. Obviously why I prefer the HIP sets... ;)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Haydn Baryton Trios - Hsu Miller Arico - FJH Trio #087 in a for Baryton, Viola & Cello H 11:087 2nd mvmt

Does not really matter when you got

playing my friend!  :D

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on February 09, 2008, 08:11:38 AM
Does not really matter when you got

playing my friend!  :D

:D

True enough, who can argue with that?   ;)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
K 196c/292 Sonata for Cello & Bassoon - Hübner / Latzko - K 196c/292 Sonata in Bb for Bassoon & Cello 1st mvmt - Allegro

Haffner

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 09, 2008, 07:37:19 AM

8)

----------------

Gurn
said it!

Sean

Quote from: Steve on February 09, 2008, 07:24:37 AM

As with most Haydn these works lack much individuality, but as a whole inhabit a particularly refined and cool minded world.

Steve

Quote from: Harry on February 09, 2008, 07:36:21 AM
On the label Philips and Brilliant you find all you want to have Steve!
Both budget, I might add.

There's only a single recording on both labels?

FideLeo

Quote from: Sean on February 09, 2008, 10:23:22 AM
As with most Haydn these works lack much individuality, but as a whole inhabit a particularly refined and cool minded world.

True...the reason may be that Haydn was more accustomed to the pattern of conceiving and writing his works in groups (of 3 or 6) than either Mozart or Beethoven.  
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Steve

Any thoughts on the Vienna Trio? I generally prefer my Haydn, "hip", so I'm going to be looking into the Swieten.

Harry

Quote from: Steve on February 09, 2008, 10:44:20 AM
There's only a single recording on both labels?

Brilliant has one complete recording, and Philips also, so far as I know. together with the CPO recordings, it is the best on the Market Steve.
The Van Swieten, and the CPO recordings are both HIP, and very good.

Bogey

Hey Steve,
A while back DavidW sent me a single disc from the Beaux Arts Trio.  Since then I have purchased the entire set.  I am sure he would not mind me passing it on, so you are welcome to the cd if want to give this ensemble a try.  Just drop me a PM.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Harry on February 09, 2008, 11:00:46 AM
Brilliant has one complete recording, and Philips also, so far as I know. together with the CPO recordings, it is the best on the Market Steve.
The Van Swieten, and the CPO recordings are both HIP, and very good.

Steve - I'd have to go along w/ Harry and some of the others; if you want a HIP version, the 10-CD Brilliant Box is hard to beat! (mid-$30 range on the Amazon marketplace, and excellent reviews there, also) - it's the one I have currently; also have a Beaux Arts disc and prefer the early instrument approach for these works (but HEY, I have a lot of Beaux Arts CDs and love the group - would not hesitate to duplicate these works if the price was right); I've not heard the CPO offerings, but I do have the Trio 1790 on other CPO recordings and enjoy them tremendously - my bottom line is that I'd likely be 'happy' w/ any of these performances -  :)

Steve

Quote from: SonicMan on February 09, 2008, 11:26:58 AM
Steve - I'd have to go along w/ Harry and some of the others; if you want a HIP version, the 10-CD Brilliant Box is hard to beat! (mid-$30 range on the Amazon marketplace, and excellent reviews there, also) - it's the one I have currently; also have a Beaux Arts disc and prefer the early instrument approach for these works (but HEY, I have a lot of Beaux Arts CDs and love the group - would not hesitate to duplicate these works if the price was right); I've not heard the CPO offerings, but I do have the Trio 1790 on other CPO recordings and enjoy them tremendously - my bottom line is that I'd likely be 'happy' w/ any of these performances -  :)

Thanks, Dave

$33.29! What a bargain. Although, I'd still be interested in a 'modern' rendition, I'll be adding this one to the cart very soon.