Krystian Zimerman

Started by ezodisy, May 15, 2008, 02:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ezodisy

Quote from: MISHUGINA on May 15, 2008, 06:31:53 PM
Thank Cthulhu for YouTube. Watch him really sizzle in the 3rd Prelude and tell me your jaws ain't droppin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSDUW8PhK7A

wow that's great! Thanks for linking, wasn't aware of these videos. Bit of a downer reading this comment on the Beethoven video:

"You know what's really sad? In the words of Krystian Zimerman himself about this recital, he had to cancel plans to release this concert on DVD in HD because it already appeared here on YouTube. What a shame. Would have been great to hear this in really great, non-YouTube sound."

Thanks Maciek. I'll dig up the Chopin CD for you guys and would take the live performances over a studio recording any day (sound is pretty good for a bootleg too).

ezodisy

That is a truly aristocratic Pathetique. Outstanding!

Maciek

Hm, as I've expressed earlier somewhere on this board (or was it on the old one?) I think Poblocka's two recordings (especially the one with Kord) have a slight edge over Zimerman. In comparison to Poblocka, Zimerman seems at times uncertain of what to do with the music (interpretatively, he sort of plays it safe). Personally, I wouldn't call the Piano Concerto Lutoslawski's most engaging work but I'd much sooner believe that based on Poblocka's version anyway.

As for coupling Lutoslawski with the "older" classics, I'm not sure if that would really work, since the sound worlds are entirely different. I know it is customary to "sneak" new music into regular concerts by sandwiching it between "older" pieces but, as far as I know, it was a custom Lutoslawski did not approve. I have a disc containing Lutoslawski's Preludes and Fugue coupled with Tchaikovsky's Serenade - it is unbearable. The Tchaikovsky piece simply sounds silly in that coupling (and conversely, the Lutoslawski sounds silly next to the Tchaikovsky). Maybe Bartok or even Prokofiev would work, maybe not, but I think the others you mention really wouldn't go well with Lutoslawski. But that's just my opinion. Maybe if I heard a disc done that way I'd change my mind.

(BTW, if you'd like to continue this conversation, I think the Lutoslawski thread might better serve that purpose - though that depends where we go exactly.)

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Purusha

Somebody needs to convince Zimerman to do a Beethoven set. His style seems perfect for it.

Wanderer

Purusha

For a moment i got excited, but i take it you are referring to his concertos.

My bad, i forgot to specify i was talking about the piano sonatas.

Todd

Quote from: Purusha on December 17, 2014, 10:42:17 AM

Considering Zimerman has made, or approved for release, only two solo piano recordings in the last twenty-three years - Webern works for the complete edition, and the Bacewicz Second Sonata - I wouldn't count on any major solo piano projects from him in the future.  I hope I'm wrong.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Todd on December 17, 2014, 07:26:56 PM
Considering Zimerman has made, or approved for release, only two solo piano recordings in the last twenty-three years - Webern works for the complete edition, and the Bacewicz Second Sonata - I wouldn't count on any major solo piano projects from him in the future.  I hope I'm wrong.

Lupu is nearly in the same boat. Strange to think about such fine artists nixing everything solo for commercial release.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Wanderer

Yes, I thought you were referring to the concerti.

He should definitely record those, but I gather he's rather a hypochondriac when it comes to his recording anything. I still remember the back and forth in the release date of his Brahms First Concerto with Rattle.

Todd

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on December 17, 2014, 08:05:23 PM
Lupu is nearly in the same boat. Strange to think about such fine artists nixing everything solo for commercial release.

Lupu announced that he will not record again at all.  At least Zimerman hasn't done that.  Yet.  Throw in Argerich refusing to record solo repertoire for decades, and classical listeners have lost out on who knows what goodies.

Todd

Resurrecting a dead thread.  I listened to the interview with Mr Zimerman linked in the below article.  I do not hold out hope for m/any new recordings going forward.

Krystian Zimerman on Szymanowski, conducting and retirement

Atriod

The Szymanowski album having a combination of old and new recordings was strange and with some of Szymanowski's more underwhelming works.

My one desert island Zimerman album and one of the greatest Brahms albums I've heard. A real shame he never recorded any late solo piano pieces.