Classical Guitar Recordings

Started by Bogey, February 10, 2008, 01:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

I was just going through my collection and I noticed something interesting - I have not one guitar player anywhere in my classical colection. None! So I was thinking it might be nice to have some. Well I stumbled across this on Amazon, and as it seems to be inexpensive (and I like what I heard on youtube), I am likely to get it.
[asin]B006CAXP18[/asin]

But this is more transcriptions, so I came to GMG looking for a thread of guitar recommendations. This has some good ones, but I thought I would bump it to see if there were any more recommendations here. I think I'd love a compilation of Spanish popular guitar works, but not sure which that would be (so any help in this direction would be appreciated).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SonicMan46

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 02, 2013, 11:57:40 AM
I was just going through my collection and I noticed something interesting - I have not one guitar player anywhere in my classical colection. None! So I was thinking it might be nice to have some. Well I stumbled across this on Amazon, and as it seems to be inexpensive (and I like what I heard on youtube), I am likely to get it.
[asin]B006CAXP18[/asin]

But this is more transcriptions, so I came to GMG looking for a thread of guitar recommendations. This has some good ones, but I thought I would bump it to see if there were any more recommendations here. I think I'd love a compilation of Spanish popular guitar works, but not sure which that would be (so any help in this direction would be appreciated).

Hi Neal - well, just go the the first page of this thread and look at my post of works listed by composer & then by performer - there are plenty of choices there to satisfy your needs - BUT, this list is 5 years old - so for my own interest, I'll take a quick look @ my database to see what has been added that might be of interest to readers of this thread?  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Well, I just quickly reviewed my 'updated' database and since 2008, I've only added the guitar recordings below (about 1 a year - BOY - neglecting a favorite instrument - shocking!  ;)) - and except for Albeniz, the other composers were unknown to me @ the time of purchase, SO must have been highly recommended in either the American Record Guide or in Fanfare - for those wanting the 'usual suspects' (either composer and/or performer), then check out my previous list - BUT I have enjoyed these new additions.  NOW, there are plenty of other outstanding guitarists & recordings so I hope others will 'chime in' on this thread - Dave :)

Albeniz, Issac - Iberia (Guitar Suite) w/ Trio Campanella on Naxos
Albeniz, Issac - Echoes of Spain w/ John Williams on Sony
Arcas, Julian - Guitar Works w/ Stefano Grondona on Stradivarius
Heinrich, Albert - Guitar Duos w/ Heinrich-Albert Duo on MDG
Mertz, Caspar - Guitar Duos w/ Prunnbauer-Tappert on MDG
Milan, Luys - Guitar (Vihuela) w/ Moreno et al on Glossa
Torroba, Morena - Guitar Music V.1 w/ Ana Vidovic on Naxos

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 02, 2013, 04:28:34 PM
Hi Neal - well, just go the the first page of this thread and look at my post of works listed by composer & then by performer - there are plenty of choices there to satisfy your needs - BUT, this list is 5 years old - so for my own interest, I'll take a quick look @ my database to see what has been added that might be of interest to readers of this thread?  Dave :)
Yes - your list was very helpful. But as someone who NEVER listens to guitar, it is hard to know where to start - I've heard of Segovia, Williams and Bream, but that is about it. SO picking among the various choices is a bit like throwing a dart. Nonetheless, I think I found a few that I will like (as a place to start).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

My all-time favorite.
The head of the guitar department at Juliard plays exquisite 20th century compositions with impeccable execution.
Oblique and dark. The recording offers nocturnal beauty.

NikF

Ruiz-PipĆ³: Complete Works for Guitar - Jean Bruno Dautaner.

I like this. It kind of sounds straightforward, but as I've become further acquainted with it there's clearly something more going on. At least, within my frame of reference.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Spineur

I like Manuel Ponce, mexican composer (neo-classical style)

[asin]B00MI6DK06[/asin]

For Villa Lobos cycle, my preference goes to filomena Moretti (so lyrical)

[asin]B000EVQ5P4[/asin]

For the spanish repertoire Segovia is the best, but there are actually a number of excellent recordings.

NikF

Quote from: Spineur on March 12, 2017, 07:46:44 PM
I like Manuel Ponce, mexican composer (neo-classical style)

[asin]B00MI6DK06[/asin]

This is on my list. I think I remember you mentioning it before and as a result I added it.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Spineur

Quote from: NikF on March 12, 2017, 08:01:18 PM
This is on my list. I think I remember you mentioning it before and as a result I added it.
I like Manuel Ponce.  I imagine him playing the piano to some rich american visitors in one of this colonial hotel at La Havana at the time of the Batista regime.  A bit of a Chopin born in Mexico.  I have his song cycles and a piano CD very chopinesque with Mazurkas and the likes.  Not the most innovative composer maybe, but with a geat sense of the musical form.  One of his best known guitar piece is the suite antigua which is an hommage to Scarlatti and was commissioned by Segovia.

Spineur

Another guitar CD I keep coming back to, because of the repertoire is

[asin]B00MV5LQJG[/asin]

French music Poulenc, Sauguet, Pierre Wissmer, Albert Roussel ...
Pretty far from the usual spanish classical guitar.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

These all look interesting since I like Ponce and Poulenc.  I will buy them soon. Thanks a lot.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

This recording is not well-known. The player either.
But all the compositions are sophisticated and somewhat dark.
Ivanovic's performance is nuanced, intelligent, and delicate.

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Recital-VARIOUS-ARTISTS/dp/B00006B1KQ/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

NikF

Quote from: Spineur on March 13, 2017, 02:09:54 PM
I like Manuel Ponce.  I imagine him playing the piano to some rich american visitors in one of this colonial hotel at La Havana at the time of the Batista regime.  A bit of a Chopin born in Mexico.  I have his song cycles and a piano CD very chopinesque with Mazurkas and the likes.  Not the most innovative composer maybe, but with a geat sense of the musical form.  One of his best known guitar piece is the suite antigua which is an hommage to Scarlatti and was commissioned by Segovia.

That conjurs up a cool image. And it makes me more intrigued. I'll definitely check out the Brilliant Classics set. Cheers.

Quote from: Forever Electoral College on March 13, 2017, 03:13:57 PM
This recording is not well-known. The player either.
But all the compositions are sophisticated and somewhat dark.
Ivanovic's performance is nuanced, intelligent, and delicate.

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Recital-VARIOUS-ARTISTS/dp/B00006B1KQ/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

This looks interesting too.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Kontrapunctus

I posted this elsewhere, but the playing must be heard to be believed! He plays transcriptions of "Capriccio Espagnol," "Pictures at an Exhibition" and " The Firebird Suite Round Dance of the Princesses."

Kontrapunctus

I'm working on Nikita Koshkin's "The Fall of Birds," a very demanding passacaglia and toccata piece. I can only dream that it will ever sound this good!

https://youtube.com/v/UXEu7toCwnU

He's one of my favorite contemporary composers. This is an excellent recording, particularly of his monumental Sonata for Guitar:

James

3 of my favorite players are Paul O'Dette (his Dowland for Lute is incomparable), John Williams (great guitar player, super-human technique, his Bach, Albeniz & many others) and David Russell (very deep & expressive player, his Baroque & Spanish/Latin classical series & others) .. Paco de Lucia is one of my all-time favorite guitarists as well, although not really associated with classical music his performance of Rodrigo's famous Guitar Concerto is a thing of beauty.
Action is the only truth

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on March 19, 2017, 09:35:14 AM
I'm working on Nikita Koshkin's "The Fall of Birds," a very demanding passacaglia and toccata piece. I can only dream that it will ever sound this good!

https://youtube.com/v/UXEu7toCwnU

He's one of my favorite contemporary composers. This is an excellent recording, particularly of his monumental Sonata for Guitar:

I'd love to hear you play it! Koshkin is a terrific composer (a little shit of a human being thiugh). I think Papandreou also recorded a concerto of his.

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: jessop on March 19, 2017, 03:29:42 PM
I'd love to hear you play it! Koshkin is a terrific composer (a little shit of a human being thiugh). I think Papandreou also recorded a concerto of his.

She has. What has Koshkin said or done to make you say that about him? I've corresponded with him a few times and he was perfectly nice to me.