Classical Guitar Recordings

Started by Bogey, February 10, 2008, 01:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

^ Very interesting. I will check it out!

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 15, 2022, 01:26:01 PM
^ Very interesting. I will check it out!

It is the same, but different, as we say here in Ireland  ;D
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

#203
^ As always Galbraith's execution is solid and natural. I didn't know that he held guitars perpendicularly, but it may enhance the coverage of such a wide neck with 8 strings.

If you lay the guitar down like a Hawaiian steel guitar and place the left-hand fingers from above, it will optimize the area of coverage on the neck and possibly will facilitate the finger movement as well.

Bachtoven

Purists will probably object to the numerous added notes and even musical lines (He goes way beyond Segovia!), but there's no doubt he's a brilliant player. The woman on the cover is a "prop"--this is a solo guitar recording. 
Audio gear by B&W, McIntosh, Esoteric, Chord, VPI, Ortofon, Sennheiser, Audeze

Bachtoven

Marko Topchii from Ukraine is one of my favorite guitarists. All three works are very difficult, but Rodrigo's "Toccata" is insanely demanding. He wrote it 1933 but it lay neglected until its publication in 2006. If you want to skip ahead, it starts at 20:40.
Audio gear by B&W, McIntosh, Esoteric, Chord, VPI, Ortofon, Sennheiser, Audeze

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Bachtoven on November 23, 2022, 08:26:09 AMPurists will probably object to the numerous added notes and even musical lines (He goes way beyond Segovia!), but there's no doubt he's a brilliant player. The woman on the cover is a "prop"--this is a solo guitar recording.


Looks interesting. I'll check the recording!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Bachtoven on November 23, 2022, 09:24:53 AMMarko Topchii from Ukraine is one of my favorite guitarists. All three works are very difficult, but Rodrigo's "Toccata" is insanely demanding. He wrote it 1933 but it lay neglected until its publication in 2006. If you want to skip ahead, it starts at 20:40.


Very good performance and nice tone. Is the body spruce top? Thank you for the post.

Bachtoven

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 23, 2022, 02:20:45 PMVery good performance and nice tone. Is the body spruce top? Thank you for the post.
No, it's cedar and made by Julian Dammann.
Audio gear by B&W, McIntosh, Esoteric, Chord, VPI, Ortofon, Sennheiser, Audeze

Bachtoven

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 23, 2022, 10:13:14 AMLooks interesting. I'll check the recording!

If you subscribe to any streaming platforms, it should be available. I know that Qobuz has it. I might order the CD from him. If you are feeling especially ambitious, he has published his transcriptions--Amazon has the score.  :)
Audio gear by B&W, McIntosh, Esoteric, Chord, VPI, Ortofon, Sennheiser, Audeze

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Bachtoven on November 23, 2022, 02:54:02 PMIf you subscribe to any streaming platforms, it should be available. I know that Qobuz has it. I might order the CD from him. If you are feeling especially ambitious, he has published his transcriptions--Amazon has the score.  :)

His attack is a little too strong for my personal taste as of now. I will check his next recording.

Bachtoven

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 23, 2022, 02:58:30 PMHis attack is a little too strong for my personal taste as of now. I will check his next recording.
Interesting. Then I guess you must really dislike Eliot Fisk!!  ;)
Audio gear by B&W, McIntosh, Esoteric, Chord, VPI, Ortofon, Sennheiser, Audeze

Bachtoven

I like this fellow quite a bit, too. He has a CD on Naxos that is also available on streaming platforms. I'm considering ordering arrangement of this wonderful Schubert lieder. (It's not on the recording.)
Audio gear by B&W, McIntosh, Esoteric, Chord, VPI, Ortofon, Sennheiser, Audeze

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Bachtoven on November 23, 2022, 05:39:42 PMI like this fellow quite a bit, too. He has a CD on Naxos that is also available on streaming platforms. I'm considering ordering arrangement of this wonderful Schubert lieder. (It's not on the recording.)


Sounds very good!


Quote from: Bachtoven on November 23, 2022, 05:34:41 PMInteresting. Then I guess you must really dislike Eliot Fisk!!  ;)

I like Fisk's arrangements, but not a big fan of his playing. But his dexterity is amazing! Please don't take my opinion seriously. It's just a personal, and capricious, preference. I may change my mind tomorrow. I'm not a serious music listener.

Bachtoven

Audio gear by B&W, McIntosh, Esoteric, Chord, VPI, Ortofon, Sennheiser, Audeze

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Leo Brouwer: La Ciudad De Las Columnas / Nuevos Estudios Sencillos. Graham Anthony Devine.
Not a fan of Devine, but nice recording.



Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Charmes de la guitare; Alberto Ponce. Fun recording. Nice primitiveness.



Bachtoven

Audio gear by B&W, McIntosh, Esoteric, Chord, VPI, Ortofon, Sennheiser, Audeze