Classical Guitar Recordings

Started by Bogey, February 10, 2008, 01:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Simon Wynberg – A Bach Recital. Amazing dexterity and good sense of time.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Carlo Domeniconi - Sindbad. Guitar and composition: Carlo Domeniconi.
Ambitious and exquisite composition. Impeccable execution.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 06, 2023, 01:22:50 PMCarlo Domeniconi - Sindbad. Guitar and composition: Carlo Domeniconi.

Hadn't heard of him before now.  Did a bit of googling on youtube and found an upload of it.  Currently listening to and enjoying the first part ("Baghdad").  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 10, 2023, 09:49:02 AMHadn't heard of him before now.  Did a bit of googling on youtube and found an upload of it.  Currently listening to and enjoying the first part ("Baghdad").  :)

PD

I wish the cover art were more aesthetic. It doesn't do justice for the music.

Brian

Just listened to this:

There is a joyous, charming selection of five Contradanzas from the 51 by Manuel Saumell. I wish someone would record the whole batch in a complete edition. It might be too much to listen to 51 of these super tuneful works in a row, but I want to find out!

(Also, Brouwer is one of the great living genius musicians so his recordings are essential as either composer or pianist - or in this case, both!)

aligreto

Turina: Music for Guitar [Costanzo]

Sevillana Op. 29
Fandanguillo Op. 36
Ráfaga Op. 53
Sonata Op. 61
Homenaje a Tárrega Op. 69

Brahmsian

In light of my "de Falla" guitar transcriptions discoveries, I might now be perusing this thread.  ;D

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 07, 2023, 12:21:12 PMIn light of my "de Falla" guitar transcriptions discoveries, I might now be perusing this thread.  ;D

You will be mot welcome here. Post copiously and frequently  :)

Papy Oli

Listened to this one yesterday for the first time in years. A gorgeous antidote to Scott Ross  ;D

Olivier

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 07, 2023, 12:30:44 PMListened to this one yesterday for the first time in years. A gorgeous antidote to Scott Ross  ;D

Oh?  No love for Scott Ross on the harpsichord?  :(

Papy Oli

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 07, 2023, 12:38:51 PMOh?  No love for Scott Ross on the harpsichord?  :(

Oh no, I love Scott Ross, Ray. I just wasn't in the mood for his style yesterday. I enjoyed Tipo's and the above instead  ;)
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 07, 2023, 12:30:44 PMListened to this one yesterday for the first time in years. A gorgeous antidote to Scott Ross  ;D

I was convinced that I had that CD in my collection but it appears not to be so.

Bachtoven

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 06, 2023, 01:22:50 PMCarlo Domeniconi - Sindbad. Guitar and composition: Carlo Domeniconi.

This new recording of it comes out March 24th. Based on his other Domeniconi release, this should be an automatic purchase! (Although the "World Premiere" statement is obviously not accurate.)

Bachtoven

Quote from: aligreto on March 07, 2023, 01:13:25 PMI was convinced that I had that CD in my collection but it appears not to be so.
If the CD is hard to find/pricey, it's available on Qobuz and presumably other streaming platforms. I love it!

aligreto

Los Romeros

Telemann: Concerto in D maj. [originally for 4 violins]
Loeillet: Cibel
D. Scarlatti: Sonata in E maj.
J. Clarke: Ayre
J. Barrett: The St. Catherine [Rigaudon]
D. Scarlatti: Sonata in D maj. [transcription from C maj.]
JS Bach: Allegro from Brandenburg concerto No. 3

aligreto

Quote from: Bachtoven on March 07, 2023, 02:49:27 PMIf the CD is hard to find/pricey, it's available on Qobuz and presumably other streaming platforms. I love it!

Cheers and thank you.

Bachtoven

Sadly, Gilardino died a little over a year ago. He wrote well over 100 high quality works for solo guitar, guitar ensembles, chamber music, and concertos. His music is freely tonal and often makes huge demands on the players. Some of the works on this recording have a manic intensity. I streamed it on Qobuz.

Brahmsian

Well...I did my first perusal of this classical guitar thread.  :-\

@Dry Brett Kavanaugh
@aligreto

Brian

This is really good. This guy is the real deal - poetic, graceful touch and many of his own transcriptions. Much of the repertoire is romantic rather than overtly virtuoso. I say that, but the next track is the Rachmaninov so I could be wrong!