Classical Guitar Recordings

Started by Bogey, February 10, 2008, 01:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bachtoven

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on March 11, 2023, 04:26:28 PMNikita Koshkin Usher Waltz.
Oh my, how did I omit Koshkin from the favorites guitar works post?? I love his two Sonatas and the Prince's Toys. He's the closest we have to Prokofiev and Shostakovich. I highly recommend these recordings:

(Includes Sonata No.1, a 30 minute blockbuster!)

(Contains The Prince's Toys and is more readily available than the Mikulka recording.)

(Contains Sonata 2.)

Bachtoven

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 12, 2023, 05:48:56 AMWell, that "you know" was rhetorical and not really directed at anyone but myself as I don't think I ever mentioned here that I play. But yes, classical guitar does seem to be a world unto its own, as for whatever reason it's kind of seen separately from the other classical strings (maybe because of a few differences in the instrument itself from the violin, cello etc; it's plucked rather than bowed, and with a fretted neck?). Anyway, just a reminder to myself to hear some more classical guitar music. 
I think part of the insular world of the guitar is due to none of the historic "great" composers (Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms et al) composed for it. Of course, Bach wrote several works for the lute, thank goodness, and they work well on the guitar. Several "important" 20th and 21st century composers have written wonderful works for the guitar, but it still struggles against other string instruments and certainly the piano for full acceptance in the classical world. (I'm sure many nay-sayers associate it with rock/pop/blues/folk and country music.)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Bachtoven on March 12, 2023, 09:13:00 AMI'm sure many nay-sayers associate it with rock/pop/blues/folk and country music.

Admittedly, I myself have had this preconceived notion.

On a specific composer topic, I see that Mexican composer Manuel Ponce composed quite a bit for the guitar. His music seems to appear in many sets in bits and pieces. There is a complete set on Brilliant Classics, performed by Gérard Abiton. However, it is on the pricey side.

Bachtoven

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 12, 2023, 09:46:33 AMAdmittedly, I myself have had this preconceived notion.

On a specific composer topic, I see that Mexican composer Manuel Ponce composed quite a bit for the guitar. His music seems to appear in many sets in bits and pieces. There is a complete set on Brilliant Classics, performed by Gérard Abiton. However, it is on the pricey side.
Admission is the first step.  :)

Oh yes, he wrote a number of works for Segovia. I particularly like his Sonata III and Theme, Variations, and Fugue on La Folia. Mario Castlenuovo-Tedesco and Alexander Tansman, among others, also wrote a large number of good works for Segovia. It's too bad that Segovia had such conservative tastes and didn't ask Schoenberg and Berg to write for him. Of course Ravel and Debussy would have been great, too, even though several of their works transcribe well on the guitar. Thank goodness Julian Bream had more adventurous tastes and commissioned major works from Britten, Tippett, Walton, Henze, and many others.

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 12, 2023, 09:46:33 AMOn a specific composer topic, I see that Mexican composer Manuel Ponce composed quite a bit for the guitar. His music seems to appear in many sets in bits and pieces. There is a complete set on Brilliant Classics, performed by Gérard Abiton. However, it is on the pricey side.

The music of Ponce is well worth investigating.
This one may be more readily available on streaming services for you to sample so that you may make a decision

Fear not, if you fear such things, the harpsichord makes limited appearances on the CD but I find it pleasurable when it does.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on March 12, 2023, 02:58:23 PMThe music of Ponce is well worth investigating.
This one may be more readily available on streaming services for you to sample so that you may make a decision

Fear not, if you fear such things, the harpsichord makes limited appearances on the CD but I find it pleasurable when it does.

Thanks. I do not fear the harpsichord. Only fear the dreaded recorder.

Bachtoven

This is an excellent selection of Ponce's works. Hoppstock uses the original manuscripts in places where Segovia made editorial changes to facilitate playing some of the more difficult passages. It's available on Qobuz if nowhere else.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Enjoying albums by Shinichi Fukuda.

San Antone

Quote from: Bachtoven on March 12, 2023, 09:13:00 AMI'm sure many nay-sayers associate it with rock/pop/blues/folk and country music.

You say that as if it is a bad thing.  ;)

Those genres contain some of the greatest music ever made.  And you forgot flamenco, fado and bossa nova.

Brian

I love that Japanese guitar disc.

I know I am supposed to be giving Ray advice on recordings to buy, but I accidentally fell down a rabbit hole and now I am thinking about exploring the works of Fernando Sor. Are there particular works or cycles from him that are considered to be the most essential, enjoyable, etc.? Any volumes of the Naxos series that feature especially good guitarists?

Bachtoven

Quote from: Brian on March 12, 2023, 07:59:54 PMI love that Japanese guitar disc.

I know I am supposed to be giving Ray advice on recordings to buy, but I accidentally fell down a rabbit hole and now I am thinking about exploring the works of Fernando Sor. Are there particular works or cycles from him that are considered to be the most essential, enjoyable, etc.? Any volumes of the Naxos series that feature especially good guitarists?
This is a good collection of his Sonatas:

And this is a good collection of some Fantasies and Etudes:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on March 12, 2023, 07:59:54 PMI know I am supposed to be giving Ray advice on recordings to buy,

Ha! That's quite alright Brian. I have received quite a number of recommendations already. I've got my hands full for awhile. 😎

Brahmsian

In looking for a complete set of the Granados Spanish Dances played on guitar, I came across this and sampled:

Unfortuately, it didn't impress me much.  The performances seem to be overly on the slow tempi side.  More importantly, I didn't enjoy the sound of the 10 string guitar (perhaps it was this particular guitar).  I found that it had a thinner sound than a standard guitar (missing the deep golden tone).  Just my two bits.  :) Perhaps I just need to become more accustomed to the sound of the 10 stringer.

Bachtoven

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 13, 2023, 04:33:35 AMIn looking for a complete set of the Granados Spanish Dances played on guitar, I came across this and sampled:

Unfortuately, it didn't impress me much.  The performances seem to be overly on the slow tempi side.  More importantly, I didn't enjoy the sound of the 10 string guitar (perhaps it was this particular guitar).  I found that it had a thinner sound than a standard guitar (missing the deep golden tone).  Just my two bits.  :) Perhaps I just need to become more accustomed to the sound of the 10 stringer.
Theoretically, a ten string guitar should produce a richer, fuller tone, but I agree that Miolin's tone is a bit thin. You might try to sample this one played on a 6 string guitar. (It's available on most streaming platforms.) He doesn't race through the pieces exactly, but his playing is excellent. I used to have the same type of guitar at one point.  :) (Made by Antonio Marin Montero.)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Brian on March 12, 2023, 07:59:54 PMAny volumes of the Naxos series that feature especially good guitarists?

Bachtoven

Quote from: Brian on March 12, 2023, 07:59:54 PMAny volumes of the Naxos series that feature especially good guitarists?
In addition to some already mentioned:

Bachtoven

A few more:

(They also recorded Suites 4-6.)

(Played by Koshkin's ex-wife!)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Bachtoven on March 14, 2023, 10:49:41 AMA few more:

(They also recorded Suites 4-6.)

Oooh.  I love Bach's English Suites on the piano.  They are close to my favourite of his piano works.  Transcriptions for guitar definitely sounds intriguing!

Brian

I actually meant the Fernando Sor series...I don't know if there are particular Sor works/collections that are considered to be his masterpieces, or if there is a volume that is the best introduction to him.

But I appreciate all the other recommendations equally!! ;D  I do love that Adam Levin series (and even traded a couple emails with him about it), and the Nikita Koshkin preludes & fugues disc is extraordinary, one of my favorite contemporary works for any instrument. I also saw and saved your Topchii recommendation when you posted about it a few weeks ago.