Classical Guitar Recordings

Started by Bogey, February 10, 2008, 01:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on March 19, 2017, 10:58:30 PM
She has. What has Koshkin said or done to make you say that about him? I've corresponded with him a few times and he was perfectly nice to me.
Well he's said some homophobic things to my friends, from what they've told me..... ::)

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: jessop on March 20, 2017, 12:53:33 AM
Well he's said some homophobic things to my friends, from what they've told me..... ::)

Well, that topic never came up between us! He's fairly fluent in English, but perhaps it was a language issue? (Just to give him the benefit of the doubt.) I still like his his music--one often has to examine the musical and human traits of a musician and decide what is most important!

Back to the primary topic of this thread, this is a wonderful new release:

aligreto

An old one but one that I often return to....

aligreto

Giuliani wrote very well for the guitar. I have the following two sets which are most enjoyable....

This first one uses modern instruments....

The second one uses period instruments....

The music is the same obviously and it is charming and very engaging. The main sonic difference between this set and the Philips one is the sound and texture of the guitar. The orchestral tuttis are on a similar level sonically and dynamically.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: aligreto on March 21, 2017, 01:16:09 PM

The music is the same obviously and it is charming and very engaging. The main sonic difference between this set and the Philips one is the sound and texture of the guitar. The orchestral tuttis are on a similar level sonically and dynamically.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the Romero/Marriner version uses a very different version of the first concerto which I would argue is kiiiinda obvious due to cuts to the score and no wind instruments in the orchestra.........?

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Oh btw these friends of mine are gonna play as a duo at GFA 2018 8)

https://www.youtube.com/v/gTWstbrJxVU

I saw them play at the Melbourne Recital Centre last night. Programme featured this suite as well as some other works for guitar duo by Assad, Brouwer and Pujol.

aligreto

Quote from: jessop on March 21, 2017, 07:22:10 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the Romero/Marriner version uses a very different version of the first concerto which I would argue is kiiiinda obvious due to cuts to the score and no wind instruments in the orchestra.........?

You are of course correct jessop and what I should have said was that the works in both sets are duplicated. Apologies if I upset your guitarist sensibilities  :)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: aligreto on March 22, 2017, 08:57:45 AM
You are of course correct jessop and what I should have said was that the works in both sets are duplicated. Apologies if I upset your guitarist sensibilities  :)
Ah of course! Sorry for misunderstanding!

Kontrapunctus

This guy is a fantastic player and transcriber.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

This CD features my personal favourite recording of Brouwer's (first?) sonata

And you can see her play the third movement here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JFmZN1s5sF8

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Toccata&Fugue........have you heard this?

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: jessop on March 22, 2017, 01:54:53 PM
Toccata&Fugue........have you heard this?

I've heard excerpts. If memory serves, he played them on a smaller, old instrument. I prefer them on a modern guitar.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: jessop on March 22, 2017, 01:46:48 PM
This CD features my personal favourite recording of Brouwer's (first?) sonata

And you can see her play the third movement here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JFmZN1s5sF8

I was wondering about the cd. Thanks for the info.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Forever Electoral College on March 22, 2017, 05:33:54 PM
I was wondering about the cd. Thanks for the info.
Personally I really enjoy her clarity and tone. It'd a short disc though!

Kontrapunctus

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 23, 2017, 06:35:28 PM
Jessop, you're familiar with Takemitsu's guitar works right?  ;)
Indeed I am! I like them very much but he really seems to avoid open strings so much that I avoid playing any! I'm one of those guitarists who likes open strings and lots of it I guess :P

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: North Star on March 24, 2017, 03:38:26 AM
I think it's time for a thread merge..
Thank you for your concern. Certainly I will follow a moderator's decision.

Kontrapunctus

The other guitar forum has been dead for about 6 years!

In the meantime, I've been enjoying this recording. I'm working on Carlo Domeniconi's massively challenging Chaconne. He basically took Bach's Chaconne and replaced all of the notes but kept the note values and rhythms (for the most part). Parts are much harder to play than transcriptions of Bach's piece, but it's also far more guitaristic, and dare I say it, more harmonically and contrapuntally interesting?

And a an audio-only video:
https://www.youtube.com/v/L0R7laZ0UCY

And another performance. I prefer Kavanagh's
https://www.youtube.com/v/fyRsRSj5s7k

ComposerOfAvantGarde

^^^^^ I'll check that out when I can. I don't know the piece but I'm very intrigued!