Classical Guitar Recordings

Started by Bogey, February 10, 2008, 01:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: Florestan on May 19, 2023, 10:04:56 AMDid they wet your appetite or not?

Oh yes, enjoyed them! I heard them through a guitar recital I attended recently!  :) Featuring Polish guitarist Anna Pietrzak.

Florestan

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 19, 2023, 10:08:04 AMOh yes, enjoyed them! I heard them through a guitar recital I attended recently!  :) Featuring Polish guitarist Anna Pietrzak.

Excellent. Barrios' music is very poetic, sort of a Chopin of the guitar, not least for promoting the music of his native country and continent, such as polca paraguayo and vals criollo. A most interesting artist and person.

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: Florestan on May 19, 2023, 10:24:06 AMExcellent. Barrios' music is very poetic, sort of a Chopin of the guitar, not least for promoting the music of his native country and continent, such as polca paraguayo and vals criollo. A most interesting artist and person.

Do you have any particular favourite Barrios compositions?

Florestan

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 19, 2023, 10:35:01 AMDo you have any particular favourite Barrios compositions?

I haven't listened to all of them yet, Ray, but of what I heard, I particularly liked La Catedral, Una limosna por el amor de Dios, Arnonias de America, Aire popular paraguayo and Un sueño en la foresta. This is not to say that the other pieces were less beautiful --- actually, I have yet to hear a dull and uninspired Barrios work.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Bachtoven

I like Barrios' music and learned La Catedral, Las Abejas, and Preludio in c. Most of his music is quite difficult to play even though he was an experienced guitarist.

Bachtoven

OK, here's one to AVOID! Her playing is adequate, but most of the pieces are trite and use every conceivable guitar cliché. The cover alone should be a warning! (The title refers to the all female composers.)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Sunday morning with this charismatic music.

Bachtoven

Moran Wasser hasn't made a commercial recording yet, but he has several high quality YT videos. This one is especially mind-blowing! He's playing an 11-string guitar.

Franco_Manitobain

Just arrived on my doorstep, so I'm diving in to disc 3 and 4 of this set, which includes transcriptions by Tarrega on music by Chopin, Schumann, Beethoven, Schubert, Berlio, Grieg and Weyrauch on disc 3, while it includes the music of Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Handel, Bizet, Wagner, Boito, Meyerbeer, Mendelssohn, Henselt, Bolzoni, Gomez, Capua, Valverde, Tolsa, Iradier and Albeniz.

All performed by guitarist Giulio Tampalini on Brilliant Classics

Atriod

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 23, 2023, 11:12:44 AMJust arrived on my doorstep, so I'm diving in to disc 3 and 4 of this set, which includes transcriptions by Tarrega on music by Chopin, Schumann, Beethoven, Schubert, Berlio, Grieg and Weyrauch on disc 3, while it includes the music of Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Handel, Bizet, Wagner, Boito, Meyerbeer, Mendelssohn, Henselt, Bolzoni, Gomez, Capua, Valverde, Tolsa, Iradier and Albeniz.

All performed by guitarist Giulio Tampalini on Brilliant Classics

Wulfin Lieske has a superb CD featuring some Tárrega, he is also active in his Youtube channel's comment sections answering questions on these pieces if you had any.

Bachtoven

This is a wonderful new release. (Qobuz 16/44.1.)

atardecer

This is one of my favorite classical guitar recordings. Ducharme plays each work with a lot of care, sensitivity and expressivity. I especially like the pieces by Rodrigo, Dunne and Hétu from this recording. Dunne's Appalachian Summer was composed specifically for this GFA competition, I find it an outstanding piece of music.

"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: atardecer on August 15, 2023, 04:09:32 AMThis is one of my favorite classical guitar recordings. Ducharme plays each work with a lot of care, sensitivity and expressivity. I especially like the pieces by Rodrigo, Dunne and Hétu from this recording. Dunne's Appalachian Summer was composed specifically for this GFA competition, I find it an outstanding piece of music.

Nice recording!

Papy Oli

Some Villa-Lobos guitar music to kick off the day:

This:

from this:

Olivier

Florestan

(Cross-post from the WAYLTN thread)

Maiden-listen

Lyrical, poetic, intimate music. Right up my alley.

BWV 1080

My new favorite Bach album - Alan adds implied counterpoint to the Chaccone & prelude from the first Cello Suite, much as a keyboard player would. 

an example of one of the Chaccone variations:

BWV 1080

Quote from: Bachtoven on August 23, 2023, 12:24:13 PMDo you have the CD? It contains many more mind-blowing arrangements, including the Violin Sonata No.3. Streaming platforms also have the recording if you are so inclined.

Yes, and the BWV 996 is also great

AnotherSpin

Qobuz has this, and there is something on bandcamp too.

Florestan

Been re-listening to these last week. Wonderful music and music-making. My favorites are No. 5 and No. 6.

Bachtoven

Wow--no posts since 8/28? It's a good thing I came back! ;)

This is an excellent new release, although the sound is too reverberant/distant for my taste.