Classical Guitar Recordings

Started by Bogey, February 10, 2008, 01:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 18, 2020, 05:35:03 AM
Has anyone here already mentioned this album?  I found it to be quite enjoyable:

It was recommended to me for the Brouwer concerto in particular.

PD

Yes, Elegiaco is a great composition. I have these two recordings in different discs. Brouwer's other concertos are excellent as well.

Que

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 18, 2020, 11:59:06 AM
I don't know that musician Que.  Have you heard any other recordings by him?

PD

Oh yes, José Miguel Moreno is kind of THE man in Spanish Renaissance and Baroque repertoire!  :)
He also plays the vihuela, lute and theorbo.
I have several of the recordings included in the box, but fortunately not enough to dissuade me from buying this boxset.
It contains quite a few that are OOP and includes the pdf of all liner notes.

I would recommend trying some of his recordings.  :)

Q

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on November 19, 2020, 09:03:56 AM
Oh yes, José Miguel Moreno is kind of THE man in Spanish Renaissance and Baroque repertoire!  :)
I have several of the recordings included in the box, but fortunately not enough to dissuade me from buying this boxset.

Q
Thank you for the info Que!  I'll see if I might be able to find something on youtube by way of introduction.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

milk

Quote from: Que on November 19, 2020, 09:03:56 AM

Q
I like the vihuela recordings I have by Moreno.

Mandryka

This may be a rewarding label to explore

https://www.edition-gerung.de/gerung-arts-music/

I got to know about it from the disc of music by Oehring

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Will check out Moreno's recordings...thanks!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

milk

I've been trying to get into romantic guitar stuff. These three recordings stand out for me. I'm new to the composers and to Espi. I'm a fan of Carter and Cherici for their baroque guitar and vihuela recordings.

milk

I've been searching out these period romantic guitar recordings lately. Lots of it I don't like. But there are some things that speak to me. I guess I like delicacy and vulnerability in the music and I like the technique and sound of these period instruments.
This is another recording that touches me. It purports to trace the influence of Sor on South American musicians. The guitarist, Schebor, plays according to the technique Sor employed and taught:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Great compositions and nuanced performances.

aligreto

Concertos Pour Deux Guitares [Presti/Lagoya]

The two Vivaldi Concertos on this LP are taken at breakneck speed. They would put any ardent modern HIP ensemble to shame! There is still very fine guitar playing throughout.

prémont

Quote from: aligreto on February 28, 2021, 05:56:47 AM
Concertos Pour Deux Guitares [Presti/Lagoya]

The two Vivaldi Concertos on this LP are taken at breakneck speed. They would put any ardent modern HIP ensemble to shame! There is still very fine guitar playing throughout.

And not to forget Kurt Redel, who was an outstanding musician.

Welcome back, aligreto, nice to see you here again.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

aligreto

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 01, 2021, 05:54:20 AM

Welcome back, aligreto, nice to see you here again.  :)

Thank you. Like an old short wave radio station I will be fading in and out  ;D

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Wonderful arrangement and incredible performance.

GioCar

Free download on Qobuz till April 22

:-*

milk

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Daverz

Quote from: GioCar on March 29, 2021, 06:57:15 AM
Free download on Qobuz till April 22

:-*

Got the free download.  Would it be churlish to say I don't like the sound of the instrument.  >:(

milk

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Joao Carlos Victor, Laureate Series. Enjoying this disc. Wonderful compositions and great techniques and dexterity. Amazing music.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 24, 2021, 05:31:16 PM
Joao Carlos Victor, Laureate Series. Enjoying this disc. Wonderful compositions and great techniques and dexterity. Amazing music.

I cannot comment on Rios Filho as I do not know that composer's music but otherwise one has some guaranteed listening pleasure on that CD methinks.