Classical Guitar Recordings

Started by Bogey, February 10, 2008, 01:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Bream: Rodrigo, Britten & Vivaldi:

Rodrigo's Concierto De Aranjuez and Vivaldi's Concerto in D for Lute and Strings are standard fare but are obviously played very well and enjoyable here. Bream plays guitar for Rodrigo and a lute for both Britten and Vivaldi on the album. I particularly liked The Courtly Dances from "Gloriana" by Britten; it has a fine atmosphere and presence to it. I found it to be most engaging.

The album cover art is, unfortunately, despicably kitsch!!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on June 24, 2022, 08:18:12 AM

Rodrigo's Concierto De Aranjuez and Vivaldi's Concerto in D for Lute and Strings are standard fare but are obviously played very well and enjoyable here. Bream plays guitar for Rodrigo and a lute for both Britten and Vivaldi on the album. I particularly liked The Courtly Dances from "Gloriana" by Britten; it has a fine atmosphere and presence to it. I found it to be most engaging.

Excellent recording by my favorite guitarist!

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 24, 2022, 10:09:09 AM

Excellent recording by my favorite guitarist!

I am pleased that you approve of my choice today  :)

aligreto

Carlos Bonell: Guitar Music of Spain

Bonell was born in London of Spanish parents. He began to learn to play the Spanish guitar from his father at an early age. He ultimately went on to record my favourite version of the Rodrigo Concierto De Aranjuez. However, that is something of an aside and this album demonstrates his inherited cultural appreciation of the love of the music of Spain. The music chosen [Rodrigo, Torroba, Sanz, Sor, Pujol and Tarrega] is always very interesting and engaging. Technically and aesthetically, I perceive the playing here to be impeccable as well as being inherently lyrical and sensitive to the featured music! This is an album that I have always been particularly fond of due to both the quality of interpretation and playing. This is a most engaging listening experience. These are really wonderful performances!

San Antone

This was among my first Classical music purchases, back in the early '70s:

I also like Bream's account of Britten's Nocturnal, found on several of his recordings, one live.

While Bream performed Leo Brouwer's El Decameron Negro, AFAIK he never recorded it.  However Sharon Isbin has, and it is very good.

Jo498

Quote from: aligreto on June 24, 2022, 08:18:12 AM

The cover art is so bad, it's almost good!
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: San Antone on June 28, 2022, 02:51:43 AM
This was among my first Classical music purchases, back in the early '70s:

I also like Bream's account of Britten's Nocturnal, found on several of his recordings, one live.

While Bream performed Leo Brouwer's El Decameron Negro, AFAIK he never recorded it.  However Sharon Isbin has, and it is very good.

Both the albums are excellent. El Decameron Negro by Elena Panpadreou is wonderful as well.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Bach, J.S.: Guitar Transcriptions. Enno Voorhorst.
Likable music and good performance. 

aligreto

Villa-Lobos: Five Preludes played by John Williams

This wonderful music is eloquently played with consummate ease and elegance by Williams.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Julian Bream: Sonata. Aesthetic performance.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The first album of Ana Vidovic was recorded when the Croatian guitar player was 18 years old. I purchased the album right at the time it was released. Great execution and nice deep tone.

Mandryka

What's the best recording of Mauric Ohana's Si le jour paraît?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on September 01, 2022, 12:28:18 AM
What's the best recording of Mauric Ohana's Si le jour paraît?

I only know the recording by Graham Anthony Devine, and it is mediocre. How about Stephan Schmidt?

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 01, 2022, 01:26:07 PM
I only know the recording by Graham Anthony Devine, and it is mediocre. How about Stephan Schmidt?

Shame that Yepes didn't record it. I will listen to Schmidt tomorrow.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on September 01, 2022, 01:52:17 PM

I'll do so too!

Mandryka

In fact the one which caught my imagination most was Alberto Ponce.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on September 02, 2022, 01:39:51 PM
In fact the one which caught my imagination most was Alberto Ponce.

The Ponce sounds better than the Schmidt.

Quote from: Mandryka on September 01, 2022, 01:52:17 PM

British humor?   ;D

aligreto

Choros Do Brasil played by Turbio Santos

This LP is a collection of guitar music from various Brazilian composers. It is very well played by Santos. There is both wonderful music and great virtuosic playing in evidence on this album. The divine Latin American rhythms are greatly reflected in both the music and the playing here. This is a favoured album in my guitar catalogue.

Peter Power Pop

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter