Classical Guitar Recordings

Started by Bogey, February 10, 2008, 01:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Brahmsian

The sound samples for this though...I find quite intriguing!  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 27, 2023, 02:28:02 PMThe sound samples for this though...I find quite intriguing!  :)

This is most likely going into the shopping cart.  :)

Brahmsian

Cross-posted from the purchases today thread:

Bachtoven

This is very well played and recorded. I may grow to like the Leisner at some point, but it didn't immediately grab me. At the moment, it seems to be available only from Native DSD, but it will eventually be available on streaming platforms. I opted for the DSD64 version. Here's a link with some samples:https://www.nativedsd.com/product/e183hr-steve-cowan-plays-weiss-ponce-leisner/

Brahmsian

First listen yesterday to this wonderful disc (performance and the two concerto themselves).  Thoroughly enjoyed!  :)

Brahmsian

Having additional listens to my recently arrived purchases, and I just got to say what tremendous enjoyment I am getting out of these.  The performances, the music, just all outstanding.  :)

Is there one disc that is my favourite right now?  No, it is simply what I am currently listening to that takes top billing!  8)

These all comes as very strong recommendations from me, I guess, especially for those who are new or newish to classical guitar music.

One particular recording deserves a special mention for its outstanding, crystalline sound - The Mercury Living Presence Pepe Romero Flamenco! recording.  Amazing sound, and just jaw dropping performances of infectious music!!  :D

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I know a professional guitar player and educator, who was a student of Pepe Romero. He told me that Pepe always emphasized the importance of keeping ego out of performance.
Villadangos is a nice player. I think the album below is vg too. There is a different album with the same title, same artist, and from the same label, but with a colorful cover art. That's Vol. 2 and very nice, but I prefer the Vol. 1 below.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Another album by Kaya. Very likable music while I want more fire and vibe in the performance.

Brahmsian

Replaying this yet once again, because it is such bloody fun!  :) Particular standout tracks are Fiesta de Jerez and Garrotin.

Deserves a special mention for its outstanding, crystalline sound - The Mercury Living Presence Pepe Romero Flamenco! recording.  Amazing sound, and just jaw dropping performances of infectious music!!  :D

Brahmsian

Finally cracked open the tantalizing Panorama de la Guitare box set, and chose disc 6 as my first listen.  Barbara Polášek on the guitar.  Beautiful playing!  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Bachtoven on March 08, 2023, 01:22:21 PMEvery piece isn't wildly virtuoso in a show-off manner, but believe me, every piece is plenty hard to play! He has an all-baroque recording coming out on DG at the end of March. Should be a winner. By the way, I met him after a concert a few years ago--he's just as nice as he is talented.

As you mentioned, officially released today.

Bachtoven

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 31, 2023, 05:37:38 AMAs you mentioned, officially released today.
Indeed, and it's fantastic! He's easily the most technically and musically gifted guitarist they have ever signed. Excellent sound, too.

Brahmsian

Now listening to disc 2 from the box, mainly music from various Renaissance and Baroque composers.  So lovely!  :)

Brahmsian

I cannot stop myself, thus I am on to Disc 8 (my third disc from the box today).   :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Nice record for spring, I think.

Bachtoven

An excellent live performance by Jorge Caballero playing his own arrangement.

Brahmsian

Now listening to two discs of Studies for the guitar.  Marvelous!  I seem to be particular drawn to the E minor etudes.  Sor's Etude in E minor, Op. 6, No. 11 made probably the greatest impression amongst the lot here!  Both discs provide a wonderful array of etudes from the early 19th century to the late 20th century.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Enjoyed the album in this past weekend.

Brahmsian

Another marvelous etudes CD from the Panorama set, Disc 1 - the Villa-Lobos 12 Etudes!  Gosh @Brian I am so loving this set!  :)