All things strings

Started by Florestan, April 28, 2007, 09:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

A topic for string chamber music aficionados. Post here anything related.

I, for one, need recommendations for lesser known trios, quartets, quintets, sextets etctets from the Gurnian Period (1750-1828). Thanks in advance for any help.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on April 28, 2007, 09:39:31 AM

I, for one, need recommendations for lesser known trios, quartets, quintets, sextets etctets from the Gurnian Period (1750-1828). Thanks in advance for any help.

I will not be responsible for your financial downfall, so no recommendations from me! $:)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on April 28, 2007, 09:39:31 AM

Florestan - I'm sure that you've seen this THREAD, already - dozens of composers listed from this period, and many already w/ their own threads - should be TONS of recommendations to sort out -  ;D

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan on April 28, 2007, 10:43:26 AM
Florestan - I'm sure that you've seen this THREAD, already - dozens of composers listed from this period, and many already w/ their own threads - should be TONS of recommendations to sort out -  ;D

That will be his absolute downfall Dave! ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on April 28, 2007, 10:10:31 AM
I will not be responsible for your financial downfall, so no recommendations from me! $:)
Harry, my friend, one of these days the Dutch TV will run a headline about the biggest bank hold-up in the Romanian history... so you'll be, eventually, responsible for my going to jail... ;D

SonicMan, thanks for pointing me that thread, I didn't noticed it... shame on me!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Maciek

Nothing wrong with that thread of course but I do not see Józef (Jozef) Elsner (Chopin's teacher) or Ignacy Feliks Dobrzyński (Dobrzynski, Chopin's colleague from Elsner's class) listed there. Acte Préalable have released some of their string chamber works. I often complain about the performances on AP but these are recorded by the Wilanów String Quartet and by Camerata Vistula - two excellent ensembles. And anyway, if you decide to buy and don't like them, I will be more than happy to supply my mailing address (so far I only have these as radio recordings). ;D

Another good performance but a slightly less interesting composer (Franciszek Lessel, Haydn's pupil):

Cheers,
Maciek

SonicMan46

Quote from: MrOsa on April 28, 2007, 01:35:31 PM
Nothing wrong with that thread of course but I do not see Józef (Jozef) Elsner (Chopin's teacher) or Ignacy Feliks Dobrzyński (Dobrzynski, Chopin's colleague from Elsner's class) listed there. Acte Préalable have released some of their string chamber works. I often complain about the performances on AP but these are recorded by the Wilanów String Quartet and by Camerata Vistula - two excellent ensembles. And anyway, if you decide to buy and don't like them, I will be more than happy to supply my mailing address (so far I only have these as radio recordings). ;D

Another good performance but a slightly less interesting composer (Franciszek Lessel, Haydn's pupil):

Maciek - please add to the other thread, as your list of 'missing' composers from this era continues - think I added nearly a dozen, myself so far to the original listings - I'm sure there are plenty more composers of to add - thanks.   :)  Dave

Brian

Very much enjoying this CD of light, predominantly sunny romantic music:

... even though I was originally going to wait for Harry's judgment before buying it!

Harry

Quote from: brianrein on April 29, 2007, 06:04:19 PM
Very much enjoying this CD of light, predominantly sunny romantic music:

... even though I was originally going to wait for Harry's judgment before buying it!

You must have been asleep Brian! for a long time.
Several times I reviewed this fine disc, and told everyone how good a follow up this was on their Schumann SQ recording.
So absolutely recommended lads! ;D
Or are you pulling my leg huh? $:)

Brian

Quote from: Harry on April 30, 2007, 12:15:59 AM
You must have been asleep Brian! for a long time.
Several times I reviewed this fine disc, and told everyone how good a follow up this was on their Schumann SQ recording.
So absolutely recommended lads! ;D
Or are you pulling my leg huh? $:)
Oh dear, it seems I was asleep  :-[  ;) going to hunt down your reviews now ...