Best classical music track in under 5 minutes.

Started by Sungam, April 27, 2007, 08:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on April 27, 2007, 09:47:44 AM
Edward, I honestly forgot the Opus 11 Toccata is that short; it feels like such a big piece!

Prokofiev's d minor Toccata op. 11 was the first thing to come to mind . . . . . (I listened to it earlier today)

Steve

Endymion

marvinbrown

Easily each one of Bach's Goldberg Variations would qualify

marvin 

S709

Alfred Schnittke's Minuet for violin, viola & cello. It is about 2 minutes and 30 seconds, and the conclusion (last 40 seconds or so) is amazing.

I strongly second the mention of Alexander Mosolov's "Zavod" (Iron Foundry). :)

There is also Arthur Honegger's Pacific 231 -- another short and exciting early modernist sort of piece.

BachQ

Quote from: Sungam on April 27, 2007, 08:26:48 AM
the most insane, off the wall, or just plain incredible, under-5-minute-classical-track.

Prokofiev, The Enemy Of God And The Dance Of The Black Spirits from Schythian Suite . . . . . . .

Gurn Blanston

"Le Ronde de Lutins" (The Dance of the Goblins, I believe) - Bazzini. Pretty super violin work!   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

PaulR

I can't believe I forgot the last movement of the 1st Violin Concerto From Shostakovich-4 mins and 35 sec.

Symphonien

val

ROUSSEL: 3rd movement of the 3rd Symphony. Takes only 2,30'.

Siedler

Quote from: bhodges on April 27, 2007, 08:29:58 AM
John Cage: 4'33"

;D

--Bruce
Sorry, the question was for the best, not the worst.  :D

Mayfielder

Steve

hornteacher

Quote from: bhodges on April 27, 2007, 08:29:58 AM
John Cage: 4'33"

;D

--Bruce

Perfect, you could just turn in a blank sheet of paper and tell the teacher she has to imagine the essay in her mind.

The Mad Hatter

Erlkönig, by Schubert.

(It's been on my mind lately...)

But the way it's composed is just so tight - so much variation within the same overall soundworld.