Python, Monty

Started by karlhenning, February 11, 2008, 03:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

It's not a critique of religion; it's a critique of the more idiotic breed of religious followers.

What's the blinking difference?

QuoteSee Michael Palin's comments about the film; he was asked if it was blasphemy and answered that no, Brian did not criticize the religious doctrines themselves so much as the absurd ways in which many people interpret and act upon them.

Again, what's the difference between doctrine and ossified principles, and real life?

It is a brilliant film, and a product of the quality thinking of the '70s. My top films are The Wicker Man, The Devils and Apocalypse now redux.

Ephemerid

"He's not the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy!"

karlhenning

Quote from: Sean on February 12, 2008, 08:57:18 AM
What's the blinking difference?

You're an intelligent chap, Sean.

Consider the difference between arguing the theory, stories and morality of, for instance, Eastern religion, and pointing out the specific absurdities of a certain Westerner's slapdash, cultural-self-loathing embrace of a cafeteria-smattering of Eastern religion.

karlhenning

Quote from: Ephemerid on February 12, 2008, 09:04:05 AM
"He's not the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy!"

If it's not a personal question, are you a virgin?

Sean

And you're intelligent enough Karl. Just enough. Once anyone sees beyond principles and dogma, they get closer to Hinduism; the Abrahamic religions of Christianity, Islam and Judaism are asking for it.

Ephemerid

"If it's not a personal question'? How much more personal can you get? Now, piss off!"

Sean

You don't need me! You're all individuals!

Yes, we're all individuals! (in unison).

I'm not (isolated individual).

Shhhh (crowd).

karlhenning

Quote from: Sean on February 12, 2008, 09:15:49 AM
Once anyone sees beyond principles and dogma, they get closer to Hinduism.

Ah, I was forgetting that you do speak for the entire planet.

Your trouble is that, exactly, Sean.  We all see past your weird, navel-gazing dogmata.

But you're enjoying your tunnel-vision too much to care.

Sean

Ephemerid

"Brothers! We must all struggle together!"

"WE ARE!!!"

karlhenning

I understand affection for the TV series; but my introduction to the Pythons was for a time confined to LPs and a book or two.

When I actually saw them on the small screen, I was surprised at how rough-hewn it all looked.  Didn't change the brilliance of the act; it was just a visual shock.

karlhenning

It brought forth Juniper berries, it's a sign!

Ephemerid

Quote from: karlhenning on February 12, 2008, 09:26:40 AM
When I actually saw them on the small screen, I was surprised at how rough-hewn it all looked.  Didn't change the brilliance of the act; it was just a visual shock.
Low budget of course, but also just the way it was haphazardly just thrown together is what made it even more hilarious. 

karlhenning

Quote from: Ephemerid on February 12, 2008, 09:33:22 AM
Low budget of course, but also just the way it was haphazardly just thrown together is what made it even more hilarious. 

Yes, it really is tout comme il faut.

At first it was a shock;  I'd constructed this very smooth Python of the Mind, and the theory barked its shins against the glorious realities.

Intercourse the penguin!

Ephemerid

Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door. Line on the left. One cross each.  $:)

lukeottevanger

Sean

Their deaths should inspire us against the Romans! (after the Judeans killing each other).

jwinter

She turned me into a newt!!!

um, I got better.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

karlhenning

We did do the nose.

– The nose?

And the hat. But she's a witch!

karlhenning

And what do you burn apart from witches?

More witches!