Author Topic: How YOU can Support GMG  (Read 98266 times)

karlhenning

Re: How YOU can Support GMG
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2011, 05:42:56 AM »
I assume subscriptions are in place until cancelled or changed.

You show as a subscriber.

Mn Dave

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2011, 05:44:16 AM »
You show as a subscriber.

Yes, thank you. I am. I'm just wondering if my subscription will be renewed automatically each year and am too lazy to read the fine print.

karlhenning

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2011, 05:45:30 AM »
Ah.  Annually I get an e-mail alert that the subscription is about to expire, and I have to re-up.

Mn Dave

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2011, 05:48:39 AM »
Ah.  Annually I get an e-mail alert that the subscription is about to expire, and I have to re-up.

Oh, okay. Thank you, kind sir.

Offline Chaszz

• Untitled I, bas-relief, 51" x 25" x 10", 2014
    • Art by Charles Zigmund
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2011, 07:31:15 AM »
I buy from Amazon regularly, not just music but you name it, it seems sometimes almost every day some small item. Sometime ago I found a way to contact the GMG administrator to ask: if I went thru GMG to buy non-musical items, would GMG get a small cut also? I never got the courtesy of a reply. Now I have tried to find that link to contact the board admin again but can no longer locate it. Can anyone tell me the answer to my question? Perhaps there's a moderator here. If I can't get an answer, I will no longer go to the trouble of going thru GMG to get to Amazon except for CDs. Also I do not appreciate my earlier query being ignored. Whoever this is is practically begging for us to thru GMG to get to Amazon yet ignores a query on this.
See my sculptures and paintings at http://charleszigmund.com and http://charleszigmund.com/sculpture

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2011, 08:15:25 AM »
Chaszz, I don't know where you made your inquiry - a private message to Rob, the forum owner/administrator would probably be best, since he (like most here) doesn't see every single post - but I did find this from him, posted last January when he implemented the feature using the ASIN numbers. The answer is yes, the Amazon links work on anything they sell.

Many of you add CD cover art from Amazon to show a particular CD. I have made this a one-click affair.

When posting a message, you will notice a new Amazon icon option - it looks like this --->   

When you click it, it adds some Bulletin Board Code called the ASIN code. Simply put Amazon's 10 digit ASIN number (and nothing else) between the tags, and your image is automatically added.

This works for any item on Amazon; CDs, books, electronics, everything

What's an ASIN number? Every Amazon item has its own unique 10 digit ASIN number - it is shown in the Product Details section of every Amazon item page. For books, this will be the ISBN-10 number.

Disclaimer: As well as displaying the CD image, it adds a small "Buy it" post-it that takes you straight to Amazon's page for that CD.  If anyone chooses to buy the item, GMG gets a small commission that helps keep this forum running.

Here is an example. I simply add the ASIN number B000099156 between the tags to get this:

Let me know if you find this helpful, or confusing.

cheers
Rob

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2011, 09:33:35 AM »
I buy from Amazon regularly, not just music but you name it, it seems sometimes almost every day some small item. Sometime ago I found a way to contact the GMG administrator to ask: if I went thru GMG to buy non-musical items, would GMG get a small cut also? I never got the courtesy of a reply. Now I have tried to find that link to contact the board admin again but can no longer locate it. Can anyone tell me the answer to my question? Perhaps there's a moderator here. If I can't get an answer, I will no longer go to the trouble of going thru GMG to get to Amazon except for CDs. Also I do not appreciate my earlier query being ignored. Whoever this is is practically begging for us to thru GMG to get to Amazon yet ignores a query on this.

Well, well. Quite the drama! 8)

Like Brewski, I haven't the foggiest idea either how or to whom you posed this question before.

I have taken the liberty to transport your post to the appropriate thread, which has a lot of relevant info. If you want to send an private message to the administrator - just click on the ID of the opening poster, the Dungeon Master himself.

Q

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2011, 03:15:37 PM »

My apologies for your query not being answered. I do try to answer questions as best I can, and as promptly as I can. Perhaps I overlooked your question, or assumed it had been answered by other members.

Yes, all items purchased from Amazon earns GMG a commission, currently 6%. Music, movies, books, electronics, clothes, and everything else, including third party sellers on Amazon. That commission comes out of the usual Amazon price, so you pay no extra. For GMG to get its cut, the buyer must get to Amazon using one of the links from GMG, either the Amazon homepage links at the bottom of every forum page, or any of the image-based product links that members create within forum posts. The only other condition is that the item must be actually purchased within 24 hours of entering Amazon using a GMG link.

Currently, the Amazon commissions earn GMG enough money to pay for about half the costs of running the forum. Subscribers pay for another 20%. Google ads pay a small percentage. I personally (and happily) pay for the remainder.

A very sincere thank you to all who support the forum, financially and otherwise.

cheers
Rob

Canberra, Australia
 Macs are better. They just are.

Offline Chaszz

• Art by Charles Zigmund
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2011, 04:23:42 AM »
I have been trying for a long time to find out whether my NON-MUSICAL purchases from Amazon help support this site. I just noticed the 'yes' answer to this here, in the first post on this thread. OK. But why were my earlier queries on this matter, one in an email submission to the administrator, and the most recent in a post on The Diner which was REMOVED without comment, both ignored (leaving me in doubt so that sometimes I went thru GMG and sometimes didn't bother)?? Also, if it was more widely known that non-musical purchases count also, by adding this fact to the many banner messages re Amazon, a lot of other members besides I might go thru GMG to Amazon for other purchases, since more and more of us are using Amazon for everything from aardvarks to zebras and in between. As a matter of fact, I rarely buy CDs at all anymore, using my large inter-library system to borrow and copy them. Other members use E-music or Spotify or Rhapsody. But I, and probably they, buy a good deal of other stuff from Amazon. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:37:09 AM by Chaszz »
See my sculptures and paintings at http://charleszigmund.com and http://charleszigmund.com/sculpture

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2011, 04:53:28 AM »
But why were my earlier queries on this matter, one in an email submission to the administrator, and the most recent in a post on The Diner which was REMOVED without comment, both ignored (leaving me in doubt so that sometimes I went thru GMG and sometimes didn't bother)??

Chaszz, can't answer your question about the e-mail to Rob (maybe he didn't get it?), but the Diner post is now in *this* thread. One of the moderators thought it would be more appropriate here.

Anyway, as you can see from the post just before yours, Rob replied, and hope this is helpful.

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2011, 02:18:34 PM »
I have been trying for a long time to find out whether my NON-MUSICAL purchases from Amazon help support this site. I just noticed the 'yes' answer to this here, in the first post on this thread. OK. But why were my earlier queries on this matter, one in an email submission to the administrator, and the most recent in a post on The Diner which was REMOVED without comment, both ignored  and copy them. Other members use E-music or Spotify or Rhapsody. But I, and probably they, buy a good deal of other stuff from Amazon.

I was the one who took the liberty of moving your post to this thread because it was on topic and, as you've noticed, contains some information relevant to your query.

I do apologize if you feel wronged by that :-\ - I've been taught to respect years of wisdom. Your support to GMG is much appreciated! :)

Q

Offline Chaszz

• Art by Charles Zigmund
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2011, 04:03:05 AM »
I was the one who took the liberty of moving your post to this thread because it was on topic and, as you've noticed, contains some information relevant to your query.

I do apologize if you feel wronged by that :-\ - I've been taught to respect years of wisdom. Your support to GMG is much appreciated! :)

Q

Thanks all for your replies. Sorry if I got a little emotional about this, but had been trying for a long time to get a reply to my question. I think you will agree there are several topics where this would conceivably fit, and I truly didn't know why my last post had been seemingly deleted. But let's all move beyond this now.

(Er, sorry, must add that the link to "*this*" thread is not working.)

I'd like to repeat here, and in that other thread when I find it, my suggestion that the fact that ANYTHING bought on Amazon can contribute to financing this admirable forum, should be made known in the Amazon banner ads here. Music (and books) are a pretty small proportion of all the goods that I, for one, buy there now, because of its convenience and exhaustive inventory of all kinds of products. Fairly amazingly, I can't remember searching for something on that site in the last two or three years that was not there, and at a competitive price.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:09:16 AM by Chaszz »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2011, 12:02:57 PM »
(Er, sorry, must add that the link to "*this*" thread is not working.)

I'd like to repeat here, and in that other thread when I find it [...]

There is no link to another thread..

By "this thread" I meant literally this thread - the thread you are reading at the moment.

Q
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:04:29 PM by ~ Que ~ »

Offline ClassicalWeekly

• Classical Weekly
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything pre-1900 (but I'm trying to expand)
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2011, 02:24:47 PM »
Hi,
Do you have a media guide or a list of advertising rates for the forum?
Thanks!
www.classicalweekly.com - Weekly Classical Music Suggestions

Get our iTunes and Classical Music eBook!

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2012, 06:22:06 AM »
Given there are more and more bargains to be had on Amazon Spain and Italy, is there any particular link to use for those two so that GMG can get its share, just like with the link used for Amazon UK ?

Is it just a matter to copy the same link text as the UK one for the other sites ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&tag=goodmusicguid-21&link_code=hom&%2Aentries%2A=0
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:47:26 AM by Papy Oli »
Olivier

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2012, 06:40:09 AM »
Given there are more and more bargains to be had on Amazon Spain and Italy, is there any particular link to use for those two so that GMG can get its sharem just like with the link used for Amazon UK ?

Not yet; but Rob might make it happen if there is enough demand.

Is it just a matter to copy the same link text as the UK one for the other sites ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&tag=goodmusicguid-21&link_code=hom&%2Aentries%2A=0

There are slight differences between the GMG links for different stores.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,18053.msg493811.html#msg493811
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Est.1965

• Veteran member
  • Havergal Brian wrote two symphonies in 1965
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2012, 03:21:48 AM »
I have subscribed again.   :o

It seems nonsensical now NOT to pay a pittance of $5 a month for the benifits and wonders I get from GMG.  It is the first tab that opens when I open the browser, it is my first point of reference for all things classical, I even use it as a wee Blog in the Diner here and there.  I have been here on and off (mostly off, I think, due to cerebal illness) since 2008, it is always a source of good information, musical experimentation, controversy,  knowledge and remote friends.  Why, if it wasn't for GMG, I would never be writing as I am now.  I am very grateful for GMG and its members, and I should stop whining about those Social Media icons  >:(  and keep reaping the benifits.

Thank you GMG.

:D
Dear Hans Rott
In the 1980s there was a creative punk group called "Big Audio Dynamite".  I have decided to apply the term to you, my man.  And I still haven't properly finished your Screenplay yet.  Too bad.  Take care anyway old chum, I'm off to listen to Brahms!
Kind regards, John

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2012, 03:45:02 AM »
"The benefits & wonders": that's GMG in a nutshell!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:27:15 AM by karlhenning »
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2013, 07:25:13 AM »
Given there are more and more bargains to be had on Amazon Spain and Italy, is there any particular link to use for those two so that GMG can get its share, just like with the link used for Amazon UK ?

Just making sure: do we have links for these stores (ES and IT) now?
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2013, 10:33:42 AM »
I will be back as a subscriber as soon as I get my Paypal account fixed.