Keyboard Concertos from Christine Schornsheim on Capriccio

Started by stingo, April 27, 2007, 09:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingo

Just got this as part of my big jpc order, and when I opened up the discs and saw the cover of the booklet, it appears to have been signed by Ms. Schornsheim. I'm guessing this is something that's printed on the booklet, rather being an actual signature, but I thought I'd ask to be sure.

Listening to the first concerto (CPE Bach) - I love the way she plays - very clean, crisp and clear, yet with feeling.

Harry

Yes, most of the members have that recording, so we are all sure you will like it! ;D

Tell us, what is the rest of your order with JPC?

stingo

Bach: Complete Organ Works/Fagius/BIS - this is an SACD Stereo set - according to the box, they were able to fit 18 CDs onto 5 SACDs (NOT hybrids), and sell them for the price of 2.
Beethoven: Violin Sonatas/Grumiaux, Haskil/Brilliant
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas/Gulda/Brilliant
Beethoven: String Quartets/Alban Berg Quartet/EMI
Boccherini: Cello Concerti/Accademia i Filarmonici di Verona, Bronzi/Brilliant
Brahms: Complete Choral Works/Brilliant
Brahms: Complete Lieder/Fischer-Dieskau/Brilliant
Faure: Complete Songs/Ameling, Souzay, Baldwin/Brilliant
Faure: Complete Piano Music/Collard/Brilliant
Mozart: Complete Symphonies/Prague Chamber Orchestra/Mackerras/Telarc
Schubert: Impromptus & Moments Musicaux/van den Hoek/Brilliant
Schubert: Music for piano duet/Eschenbach, Frantz/Brilliant

Harry

A lot of excellent Brilliant boxes. Good choice my friend! :)

stingo

Quote from: Harry on April 27, 2007, 10:38:49 AM
A lot of excellent Brilliant boxes. Good choice my friend! :)

Thank you - jpc (as you well know) sells Brilliant sets really cheap, so I have one or two big orders from them a year.

Bunny

Sorry, this isn't on Capriccio, but it's such a wonderful cd I can't resist posting this!

If you love Christine Schornsheim, be sure to pick this up:  Mozart am Stein Vis-a-vis.  (This Stein vis-a-vis is a an instrument with a combination 3 manual harpsichord at one end, and fortepiano with moderator stop at the other end).  Aside from the brilliance of the musicians, one can only marvel at the amazing tone of this instrument.  The choice of Mozart's preludes, sonatas, variations and dances displays the special character of this instrument perfectly.  I can only hope that they will be able to record more on this instrument.

stingo

No worries - good music is always welcome! Thanks for the heads up... Hmm come to think of it I do have the remainder of an amazon GC I could use... (Already used most of it on Pierre Hantai's Bach CDs on Virgin).

Bunny

Well, you certainly have some quality listening time ahead with the Hantaï cds, even if you don't get the Mozart am Stein. :)

stingo

I know - I buy a lot of Hantai's recordings, much like Schornsheim's. Reading the notes of the Capriccio set I get the impression that Schornsheim took a master class with Staier, so it's good to see that the musicians have some kind of relationship prior to the recording.

stingo

Of course, I couldn't resist the Stein vis-a-vis, and I am glad because of it. The instrument (made by Johann Andreas Stein) is a fortepiano/harpsichord hybrid at which two musicians can sit at opposite ends and play. The sounds that Staier (fp) and Schornsheim (hpd) get from it are pretty amazing. I'm not entirely sure how it's done but there's parts where the fortepiano sounds much like a modern one, and of course the harpsichord is glittering, crispy clean and clear. I'd say the Sonata for 4 hands K 381 alone would be worth the price of the disc - but there's so much other great music making on the disc it's all good. Fans of Schornsheim (and I know there are a few on this forum) and/or Staier - as well as lovers of great music making - should put some of this music in their ears.

Don

Quote from: Harry on April 27, 2007, 09:45:36 AM
Yes, most of the members have that recording, so we are all sure you will like it! ;D

Really, most have it?  I don't have it and can't think of any disc in my collection that features Schornsheim.
Must be that I'm behind the times.

Bunny

Quote from: stingo on May 06, 2007, 09:23:36 AM
Of course, I couldn't resist the Stein vis-a-vis, and I am glad because of it. The instrument (made by Johann Andreas Stein) is a fortepiano/harpsichord hybrid at which two musicians can sit at opposite ends and play. The sounds that Staier (fp) and Schornsheim (hpd) get from it are pretty amazing. I'm not entirely sure how it's done but there's parts where the fortepiano sounds much like a modern one, and of course the harpsichord is glittering, crispy clean and clear. I'd say the Sonata for 4 hands K 381 alone would be worth the price of the disc - but there's so much other great music making on the disc it's all good. Fans of Schornsheim (and I know there are a few on this forum) and/or Staier - as well as lovers of great music making - should put some of this music in their ears.

I'm so glad that you are enjoying that recording!  I've put it on my ipod and have spent many pleasant hours listening.