Georges Enescu

Started by david johnson, February 15, 2008, 03:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2019, 08:19:46 PM
[Crickets chirping]

I wonder if Rafael saw the list above?
Good day, John, and apologies for the delayed reply (I've been rather busy and absent from the forum this last week).

I really don't have much to say about the list above, as I don't own all the CDs that appear on it. In any case, the selection of works appears (slightly) random, but is also biased towards Enescu's late(-ish) output—a good thing, as that's when the compose managed to integrate all those influences he absorbed (the Brahmsian, the Fauréan and the folk-Romanian) into an individual, highly elaborate style.

Of course seeing Oedipe listed is great, and the Foster recording is probably the best recommendation overall (even if as a performance it's superseded by the vintage Brück reading on Malibran—unfortunately with subpar sound, with cuts, and not easy to obtain).

The violin being so central to Enescu's oeuvre, seeing the complete Azoitei/Stan set on Hännsler also makes sense. My problem, though, is that I have this personal aversion to the violin/pian combination (irrational as that may sound), and really only see the Third Violin Sonata as an indisputable masterpiece on the set.

Symphony No. 3 is probably Enescu's greatest achievement in the symphonic form, but as you say, the Suite No. 3 "Villageoise" would have been a better exponent of the composer's orchestral work. I remember not being that impressed by the Concert Overture (but I haven't listened to it for ages). I don't know the Lintu cycle of the symphonies, in any case.

Another disc I don't know is the Schubert's Ensemble's traversal of both Piano Quartets. I suppose it's good to have two works for the same forces but separated by almost 30 years (very typical of Enescu) on the same disc, but I would need to revisit these works (which, again, really didn't leave such a strong impression—on the recording's I own).

I do miss some piano music, the Chamber Symphony and the Piano Quintet on the list, of course.

Regards,

Florestan

This is what I wrote a year and a half ago about the Ouverture de Concert:

Quote from: Florestan on September 07, 2017, 12:16:04 PM
QuoteEnescu – Concert Overture on Popular Romanian Themes in A Major op. 32

First listen.

The title is misleading. I was expecting a folkloric romp in the vein of the First Romanian Rhapsody and I was hugely disappointed absolutely taken by surprise. It starts indeed as in the middle of a peasantly merriment, then it turns into an ethereal, poetic, nocturnal idyll magically preluded and punctuated by nightingales and blackbirds, and then all is quiet and sleepy for a while --- and suddenly, boom and bang, lo and behold!, the history marches on and the only things it has in stock for Romanian peasants and lovers is bad omens and forebodings... and the whole thing ends unambiguously bleak.

And no wonder about it: the 1st Romanian Rhapsody is from 1901, the heydays of the Kingdom of Romania; the Concert Overture is from 1948, the first year of the Communist Republic.

A masterpiece, but one of whose full relevance is lost on non-Romanian listeners, I'm afraid.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 31, 2019, 05:29:52 AM
This is what I wrote a year and a half ago about the Ouverture de Concert:

First listen.

The title is misleading. I was expecting a folkloric romp in the vein of the First Romanian Rhapsody and I was hugely disappointed absolutely taken by surprise. It starts indeed as in the middle of a peasantly merriment, then it turns into an ethereal, poetic, nocturnal idyll magically preluded and punctuated by nightingales and blackbirds, and then all is quiet and sleepy for a while --- and suddenly, boom and bang, lo and behold!, the history marches on and the only things it has in stock for Romanian peasants and lovers is bad omens and forebodings... and the whole thing ends unambiguously bleak.

And no wonder about it: the 1st Romanian Rhapsody is from 1901, the heydays of the Kingdom of Romania; the Concert Overture is from 1948, the first year of the Communist Republic.

A masterpiece, but one of whose full relevance is lost on non-Romanian listeners, I'm afraid.
Thanks for that, Andrei. I certainly must listen to the piece again (with your insightful post in mind).

Un abrazo,

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 25, 2019, 07:38:41 PM
Complete Works for Violin and Piano (Hänssler):

Piano Quartets Nos. 1 & 2 (Chandos)

I endorse these wholeheartedly.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 31, 2019, 05:58:51 AM
Thanks for that, Andrei. I certainly must listen to the piece again (with your insightful post in mind).

Un abrazo,

You're welcome, my friend. Big hug to you too.  :-*

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on March 31, 2019, 04:53:40 AM
Good day, John, and apologies for the delayed reply (I've been rather busy and absent from the forum this last week).

I really don't have much to say about the list above, as I don't own all the CDs that appear on it. In any case, the selection of works appears (slightly) random, but is also biased towards Enescu's late(-ish) output—a good thing, as that's when the compose managed to integrate all those influences he absorbed (the Brahmsian, the Fauréan and the folk-Romanian) into an individual, highly elaborate style.

Of course seeing Oedipe listed is great, and the Foster recording is probably the best recommendation overall (even if as a performance it's superseded by the vintage Brück reading on Malibran—unfortunately with subpar sound, with cuts, and not easy to obtain).

The violin being so central to Enescu's oeuvre, seeing the complete Azoitei/Stan set on Hännsler also makes sense. My problem, though, is that I have this personal aversion to the violin/pian combination (irrational as that may sound), and really only see the Third Violin Sonata as an indisputable masterpiece on the set.

Symphony No. 3 is probably Enescu's greatest achievement in the symphonic form, but as you say, the Suite No. 3 "Villageoise" would have been a better exponent of the composer's orchestral work. I remember not being that impressed by the Concert Overture (but I haven't listened to it for ages). I don't know the Lintu cycle of the symphonies, in any case.

Another disc I don't know is the Schubert's Ensemble's traversal of both Piano Quartets. I suppose it's good to have two works for the same forces but separated by almost 30 years (very typical of Enescu) on the same disc, but I would need to revisit these works (which, again, really didn't leave such a strong impression—on the recording's I own).

I do miss some piano music, the Chamber Symphony and the Piano Quintet on the list, of course.

Regards,

I knew you'd come through eventually, Rafael. 8) Thanks for the feedback. The second Piano Quartet is fantastic. The first performance I heard of it was on the Olympia label and the sound of the instruments was so harsh and overbearing that it robbed the piece of any subtlety and nuance. I liked the piece, but I wanted a better performance in much better sound, so I picked up this recording:

I really enjoy this performance, but other than the Olympia recording, I have nothing to compare it to. I'd like to pick up those Chandos recordings with The Schubert Ensemble at some point, but there's one review on Amazon that says the sound is subpar, which I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around since this label usually has very fine (albeit reverberant) audio quality. The exclusion of the Chamber Symphony, but also any of the piano music I find truly baffling. But I understand that this list could be used as a sort of introduction to the composer, but that's about it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on March 31, 2019, 06:20:26 AM
I endorse these wholeheartedly.

I've got the violin/piano set, but I don't own any of these Enescu Chandos recordings. I might have to check them out now.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 31, 2019, 07:17:32 AMI really enjoy this performance, but other than the Olympia recording, I have nothing to compare it to. I'd like to pick up those Chandos recordings with The Schubert Ensemble at some point, but there's one review on Amazon that says the sound is subpar, which I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around since this label usually has very fine (albeit reverberant) audio quality. The exclusion of the Chamber Symphony, but also any of the piano music I find truly baffling. But I understand that this list could be used as a sort of introduction to the composer, but that's about it.

FWIW, I have both the cpo and Chandos releases and got a lot more pleasure from the cpo. The Schubet Ensemble recording seemed less focused to me, which may have been a combination of the recording and the performances themselves. Of course, you will need both. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 31, 2019, 09:29:29 AM
FWIW, I have both the cpo and Chandos releases and got a lot more pleasure from the cpo. The Schubet Ensemble recording seemed less focused to me, which may have been a combination of the recording and the performances themselves. Of course, you will need both. :)

Thanks for the feedback, Scarpia. I think I'll pass on those Chandos recordings. It's not like I'm in any need of them. I already own an incredible performance of the Quintet courtesy of Kremer et al. and the CPO recording of the Piano Quartets has been serving me well.

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Listening' thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 07, 2019, 06:37:18 AM
First-Listen Sundays -

Enescu
Impressions d'enface, Suite, Op. 28 (Orch. Theodor Grigoriu)
Sherban Lupu, violin
Sinfonia da Camera
Ian Hobson, conductor

This sounds quite nice, but I definitely prefer the violin/piano original arrangement to this orchestral arrangement. Not that it isn't well-done, but when you hear the original, it just sounds closer to Enescu's heart. So this recording entitled Impressions has turned out to be a disappointment with the exception of the Chamber Symphony, which was well-performed, but so are the other performances I have in my collection of this work.

SonicMan46

Well, nearly a year since a post to this thread!  Just pulled my CD collection of Georges Enescu for a listen - have about 16 discs or so - first up the solo piano works - back in 2008 (and later), I was more active in this discussion and had purchased the 3 discs of piano music w/ Luiza Borac, which had received great reviews (attached) - perusing Amazon, I see several 3-CD boxes of the same (if not more) music (bottom row) - would be curious as to thoughts from those familiar w/ these various offerings - I've only heard the Borac.  Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 06, 2020, 09:23:40 AM
Well, nearly a year since a post to this thread!  Just pulled my CD collection of Georges Enescu for a listen - have about 16 discs or so - first up the solo piano works - back in 2008 (and later), I was more active in this discussion and had purchased the 3 discs of piano music w/ Luiza Borac, which had received great reviews (attached) - perusing Amazon, I see several 3-CD boxes of the same (if not more) music (bottom row) - would be curious as to thoughts from those familiar w/ these various offerings - I've only heard the Borac.  Dave :)

Very cool, Dave. I only know the Borac and Stirbat recordings (even though I own all sets of Enescu's piano music). I would say that Stirbat would be an excellent choice. I alternate between Borac and Stirbat, but both are indispensable in this music.

bhodges

Browsing YouTube for the Romanian Rhapsody No. 1, and versions I hadn't heard, produced this gem from almost exactly a year ago. The conductor is Cristian Măcelaru with the WDR Sinfonieorchester, recorded in Cologne. The high energy is immensely appealing, and as evidence, all it takes is seeing the expressions of the musicians, who seem to be having a great time.

Fantastic wind work, too, starting with the clarinet that opens everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuU5sbXYAJ0

--Bruce

Florestan

Quote from: Brewski on December 15, 2020, 09:57:08 AM
Browsing YouTube for the Romanian Rhapsody No. 1, and versions I hadn't heard, produced this gem from almost exactly a year ago. The conductor is Cristian Măcelaru with the WDR Sinfonieorchester, recorded in Cologne. The high energy is immensely appealing, and as evidence, all it takes is seeing the expressions of the musicians, who seem to be having a great time.

Fantastic wind work, too, starting with the clarinet that opens everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuU5sbXYAJ0

--Bruce

The best RR1 I've ever heard and seen is this:

https://www.youtube.com/v/fwxuMDxT9Dw

A fabulous performance for all the right reasons.  ;)

david johnson

Florestan, that was  a good one.

bhodges

Quote from: Florestan on December 15, 2020, 10:07:37 AM
The best RR1 I've ever heard and seen is this:

https://www.youtube.com/v/fwxuMDxT9Dw

A fabulous performance for all the right reasons.  ;)

Thanks so much. I actually found this one (and listened to it) while searching other versions, and almost posted it instead. (Ultimately I liked the better sound quality, along with the camera shots of the musicians in the WDR version.) But no doubt about it: watching Celibidache has a magic all its own. Some of his expressions seemed to say, "Guys, I know this piece is a little cheesy, but just run with me here." And also, it's priceless as a bit of history.

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Okay, I'll ask: Why is the second of the two piano sonatas designated "Sonata #3, Op. 24 #3"?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 24, 2021, 12:45:26 PM
Okay, I'll ask: Why is the second of the two piano sonatas designated "Sonata #3, Op. 24 #3"?

Hey Karl - quoted below is a post I left back on pg. 3; his Op. 24 has just the 2 works, i.e. Piano Sonata No. 1 and No. 3 - Wiki HERE states that No. 2 does not exist, maybe incomplete and/or lost?  Dave :)

QuoteWell, I've finally completed the book on George E. - quite good; he was such a marvelous composer, but the unfortunate circumstance is that he was a superb violinist (and pianist), teacher, & conductor - just not enough time in his life to do or complete all the compositions floating around in his head - sad!  :'(

Below is a 'shortened' list that I jotted down from one of the appendices in the book; these are many of his instrumental works w/ their corresponding Opus numbers - some are missing (many of the vocal works) - check HERE for a more complete numerical listing - but the ones shown below are many that are on disc and available (I probably own at least half of these works - all wonderful!).

Finally, keep in mind that Enescu had numerous works that were not completed or partially done that were never assigned Opus numbers - these are also included in the appendix mentioned; not even sure 'how many' of these are extant and/or recorded.  :D

Cello Sonatas, Op. 26 (No. 1/2)
Chamber Symphony, Op. 33
Dixtuor, Op. 14
Impressions d'Enfance, Op. 28
Intermede Strings, Op. 12 (No. 1/2)
Octet Strings, Op. 7
Orchestral Suites, Op. 9, 20, & 27
Piano Quartets, Op. 16 & 30
Piano Quintet, Op. 29
Piano Sonatas, Op. 24 (Nos. 1 & 3)
Piano Suites (Nos. 1 & 2), Op. 3 & 10
Piano Variations, Op.5
Pieces Impromptues (Suite No. 3), Op. 18
Poeme Roumain, Op. 1
Romanian Rhapsodies, Op. 11 (Nos. 1/2)
String Quartets, Op. 22 (Nos. 1/2)
Symphonie Concertante, Op. 8
Symphonies (1-3), Op. 13, 17, & 21
Trois Melodies, Op. 19
Violin Sonatas, Op. 2, 6, & 25
Vox Maris, Op. 31

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 24, 2021, 01:05:12 PM
Hey Karl - quoted below is a post I left back on pg. 3; his Op. 24 has just the 2 works, i.e. Piano Sonata No. 1 and No. 3 - Wiki HERE states that No. 2 does not exist, maybe incomplete and/or lost?  Dave :)

Or perhaps only planned. Much appreciated, Dave!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 24, 2021, 12:45:26 PM

I read in the linear notes of some CD or another that Enescu assigned numbers to works he never wrote down, but had in his mind.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington