Georges Enescu

Started by david johnson, February 15, 2008, 03:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChamberNut

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on February 16, 2008, 04:56:57 PM
Personally though, i think the best introduction to Enescu is the recording of the String Octet + Piano Quintet issued by Gidon Kremer, and after that, the third Violin Sonata performed by the man himself.

Josquin,

This is the one I've been listening to yesterday and today.  I need to listen to the Octet again to get a better sense of it, but I instantly fell in love with the Piano Quintet.  Gorgeous!  :)

SonicMan46

Small order from Caiman arrived today which included the CD below:

Octuor for Strings, Op. 7 & Dixtuor for Winds, Op. 14 w/ Viotta Ensemble, who are members of the famous Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra; youthful works from Enescu, which were well received at the time -  these are wonderfully performed 'large-scale' chamber works; I particularly liked the wind piece; Ottavo did an excellent job recording this group - highly recommended -  :D

SonicMan46

Well, I've finally completed the book on George E. - quite good; he was such a marvelous composer, but the unfortunate circumstance is that he was a superb violinist (and pianist), teacher, & conductor - just not enough time in his life to do or complete all the compositions floating around in his head - sad!  :'(

Below is a 'shortened' list that I jotted down from one of the appendices in the book; these are many of his instrumental works w/ their corresponding Opus numbers - some are missing (many of the vocal works) - check HERE for a more complete numerical listing - but the ones shown below are many that are on disc and available (I probably own at least half of these works - all wonderful!).

Finally, keep in mind that Enescu had numerous works that were not completed or partially done that were never assigned Opus numbers - these are also included in the appendix mentioned; not even sure 'how many' of these are extant and/or recorded.  :D

Cello Sonatas, Op. 26 (No. 1/2)
Chamber Symphony, Op. 33
Dixtuor, Op. 14
Impressions d'Enfance, Op. 28
Intermede Strings, Op. 12 (No. 1/2)
Octet Strings, Op. 7
Orchestral Suites, Op. 9, 20, & 27
Piano Quartets, Op. 16 & 30
Piano Quintet, Op. 29
Piano Sonatas, Op. 24 (Nos. 1 & 3)
Piano Suites (Nos. 1 & 2), Op. 3 & 10
Piano Variations, Op.5
Pieces Impromptues (Suite No. 3), Op. 18
Poeme Roumain, Op. 1
Romanian Rhapsodies, Op. 11 (Nos. 1/2)
String Quartets, Op. 22 (Nos. 1/2)
Symphonie Concertante, Op. 8
Symphonies (1-3), Op. 13, 17, & 21
Trois Melodies, Op. 19
Violin Sonatas, Op. 2, 6, & 25
Vox Maris, Op. 31

SonicMan46

Sorry about these serial postings but would welcome any other contributions or comments -  :D

Last few days, I've been spending some 'listening' time w/ Luiza Borac and George's solo piano music:

Three Piano Suites, Nos. 1-3, Op. 3, 10, & 18 on the Avie label, recorded (beautifully in 2003).

Piano Sonatas & Other Works - 2CD set on same label; CLICK on the images for listings & MusicWeb reviews; she is wonderful!  :D

SonicMan46

Well, three months since the last Enescu posting (and mine @ that!) - just acquired the String Quartets on Naxos (recommended on an earlier page of this thread) - these works were composed three decades apart (i.e. completed in 1921 & 1951, respectively).

First, these are modern sounding 20th century quartets, like Bartok; second, the first quartet has denser & busier string playing w/ the instruments often challenging each other, but at other times a wonderful flood of melodic lines, many presumably w/ Romanian folk influences.  The much later second quartet seems simpler, but the melodies are still abundant. 

The performers, Quatuor Ad Libitum, know the music well; the group was formed in 1988 at the 'George Enescu Academy' in Romania.  A short but excellent review can be found at ClassicsToday w/ a 9/8 rating (sound downgraded slightly for needing to 'up' the volume - not sure valid on my system!); there are also a lot of summary ratings of this disc on the Naxos website, if interested.  :D

Guido

Quote from: lukeottevanger on February 16, 2008, 02:41:39 AM
All the above, plus all Enescu's other orchestral pieces, are available at bargain prices on Arte Nova (a set of 6 discs I've plugged many times); Arte Nova also have a couple of chamber discs (Dixtuor/Octet; Cello Sonatas). Naxos and Olympia between them have most of the other important chamber works. Then there are the violin sonatas,Impressions d'enfance and the piano works - various recordings but the hard-to-find Enescu-Lipatti is the one to have. Finally, his masterpiece is the opera Oedipe. The EMI setis what I have, and I can't imagine it bettered

I have the Cello Sonatas from Arte Nova - highly imaginative works - The first movement of the first sonata especially strikes me as having nothing else much like it in the cello repertoire.

I have also just ordered four of the Arte Nova orchestral CDs - for £8.50 on Amazon used and new! Looking forward to them. I have the Naxos recording of Oedipe (thanks to Sean!), but found it a rather dull affair when I listened to it. This was a couple of years ago, so it definitely deserves another listen (especially if it's his masterpiece).
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Mirror Image

For me, there are three recordings of Enescu that I can't live without and they are with Gennady Rozhdestvensky conducting the BBC Philharmonic on Chandos. They easily outshine the Arte Nova recordings, though the performance Mandeal conducted of Poeme Roumain was amazingly good. I wouldn't want to be without the Arte Nova recordings for the simple fact that they play some seldom heard works.

Enescu was someone that was introduced to me by Grandfather. He told me to listen to the Romanian Rhapsodies, so I did, and I was hooked. I love the folk-like idiom he composed his music in. It gave this very down-to-Earth feel. He wrote some great music no doubt about it.

Superhorn

Don't miss the superb EMI recording of Oedipe, a retelling of the Oedipus myth which is vastly different from the more familiar Stravinsky, and possibly the greatest opera you've never heard.
  It's a strange and haunting work,and absolutely mesmerizing.
  It's also his only opera, and one he worked on for many years.
  The cast includes Jose Van Dam as Oedipus, with Lawrence Foster,who has done so much to champion this composer's music.
  Despite his name,Foster is an American conductor of Romanian parentage.

J.Z. Herrenberg

During my absence here I have been listening, almost obsessively, to Mandeal's performances of Enescu's three symphonies and the Vox Maris. You are right if you think I have become a firm admirer. Enescu's First Symphony must be among the most assured essays in that form ever. The final movement of the Second is amazing - the music breaks its bounds, as if the composer was flooded by ideas and let it all rip. Very exhilarating. I bought the Arte Nova CDs of the symphonies, rhapsodies and the suites through eBay. I still have to find the time to listen to them, though. A nice assignment!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Harry

Quote from: Jezetha on December 17, 2010, 06:08:26 AM
During my absence here I have been listening, almost obsessively, to Mandeal's performances of Enescu's three symphonies and the Vox Maris. You are right if you think I have become a firm admirer. Enescu's First Symphony must be among the most assured essays in that form ever. The final movement of the Second is amazing - the music breaks its bounds, as if the composer was flooded by ideas and let it all rip. Very exhilarating. I bought the Arte Nova CDs of the symphonies, rhapsodies and the suites through eBay. I still have to find the time to listen to them, though. A nice assignment!

I agree, I just listen to the whole set on Chandos, its plain good music.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Harry on December 17, 2010, 06:50:56 AM
I agree, I just listen to the whole set on Chandos, its plain good music.

Hi, Harry! Still going strong, I see. As for Enescu - I must get my hands on that Chandos set, and also on the one by Foster on EMI. The music deserves many interpretations.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jezetha on December 17, 2010, 06:57:58 AM

Hi, Harry! Still going strong, I see. As for Enescu - I must get my hands on that Chandos set, and also on the one by Foster on EMI. The music deserves many interpretations.

Actually, it's not a set (yet). You have to buy them individually and they're quite expensive. I bought them last year.

snyprrr

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 11, 2008, 02:31:12 PM
Well, I've finally completed the book on George E. - quite good; he was such a marvelous composer, but the unfortunate circumstance is that he was a superb violinist (and pianist), teacher, & conductor - just not enough time in his life to do or complete all the compositions floating around in his head - sad!  :'(

Below is a 'shortened' list that I jotted down from one of the appendices in the book; these are many of his instrumental works w/ their corresponding Opus numbers - some are missing (many of the vocal works) - check HERE for a more complete numerical listing - but the ones shown below are many that are on disc and available (I probably own at least half of these works - all wonderful!).

Finally, keep in mind that Enescu had numerous works that were not completed or partially done that were never assigned Opus numbers - these are also included in the appendix mentioned; not even sure 'how many' of these are extant and/or recorded.  :D

Cello Sonatas, Op. 26 (No. 1/2)
Chamber Symphony, Op. 33
Dixtuor, Op. 14
Impressions d'Enfance, Op. 28
Intermede Strings, Op. 12 (No. 1/2)
Octet Strings, Op. 7
Orchestral Suites, Op. 9, 20, & 27
Piano Quartets, Op. 16 & 30
Piano Quintet, Op. 29
Piano Sonatas, Op. 24 (Nos. 1 & 3)
Piano Suites (Nos. 1 & 2), Op. 3 & 10
Piano Variations, Op.5
Pieces Impromptues (Suite No. 3), Op. 18
Poeme Roumain, Op. 1
Romanian Rhapsodies, Op. 11 (Nos. 1/2)
String Quartets, Op. 22 (Nos. 1/2)
Symphonie Concertante, Op. 8
Symphonies (1-3), Op. 13, 17, & 21
Trois Melodies, Op. 19
Violin Sonatas, Op. 2, 6, & 25
Vox Maris, Op. 31

I'm lifting up the Piano Quartet No.2, a Masterpiece in my estimation.

btw- I so thought I had the coup on this Thread,... aaargh

snyprrr

What is the Enescu Thread doing here? I'm going right now to start an Official Ensescu Thread in the Composer Section :P!!

snyprrr

There, that settles it! ;)

Now, talk amongst yourselves. 8)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Feeling OK, Snyprrr?  ;D :o

cilgwyn

(More egg on my face! Enescu should have definately been on my 'list!') I have never heard the First Symphony. Which recording should be at the top of my list? The Arte Nova cd's are very good VFM,but would I be better off shelling out a little more for,say,the Chandos cd?

J.Z. Herrenberg

I still have to listen to my Arte Nova discs I bought on eBay last year... But Andreescu is very good. I don't know the Chandos.

DavidW

I have a couple of Enescu cds to listen to... liked hearing the third symphony on the radio. :)

cilgwyn

I had the Olympia cd's. Unfortunately I sold them. More fool me! I must say,I rather fancy the Arte Nova recordings. (What a label! They've even released Gernsheim!)