10000"s of Composers, Discuss

Started by paulb, February 16, 2008, 02:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulb

Here's a  list of most the world's major composers.
Discuss.
Idea drawn from Uffevikings latest composer find, instead of having 10000 separate topics maybe we could just start with the first name in the A's , and go dwon the list til we get to the zzzzzz's ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composers

lots of navigational links to choose from

some guy

Well, Paul, without getting into what "major" means, this is NOT a list of most of the world's major composers. This is a list of many composers. A list of the composers that Wikipedia contributors have contributed.

There are tons of "minor" composers on this list. There are one or two "major" composers not on the list.

As for your imperative, "Discuss," are you a bad teacher or just flashing back to school days and your own bad teachers??????

Lethevich

Quote from: some guy on February 16, 2008, 07:16:20 AM
Well, Paul, without getting into what "major" means, this is NOT a list of most of the world's major composers. This is a list of many composers. A list of the composers that Wikipedia contributors have contributed.

There are tons of "minor" composers on this list. There are one or two "major" composers not on the list.

Yeah, for sure. It's a constant problem with WP to prevent nobodies from adding themselves as self-promotion (or self-gratification), but inevitably on lists like this, where the definition of "great" cannot be pinned down, it will attract lots of pointless entries.

Please do add any major ommissions that you notice, though.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

SonicMan46

Just took a quick perusual - listening to Karl Ditters von Dittersdorf this AM - he's not on the list - a lot of dates obviously missing, many for more of the 'major league' composers, and 'why' is Mel Torme is this list?  ::)

Lethevich

Quote from: SonicMan on February 16, 2008, 07:56:02 AM
Just took a quick perusual - listening to Karl Ditters von Dittersdorf this AM - he's not on the list - a lot of dates obviously missing, many for more of the 'major league' composers, and 'why' is Mel Torme is this list?  ::)

Perhaps I'm being dumb, but he's on this one...

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lethe on February 16, 2008, 07:59:23 AM
Perhaps I'm being dumb, but he's on this one...

Sorry, followed Paul's link & choose the top option for 'List of Composers by Name' - not there, so likely related to 'which' Wiki pages & lists are selected?  :)

Lethevich

Quote from: SonicMan on February 16, 2008, 08:04:44 AM
Sorry, followed Paul's link & choose the top option for 'List of Composers by Name' - not there, so likely related to 'which' Wiki pages & lists are selected?  :)

Ah. The giant meta list... insanity lays that way ;D IIRC it's been deleted numerous times for being a Really Bad Idea and unmanagable as hell. The ones sub-divided into themes (nationality, period) are much more useful :)

BachQ

I'm quite upset. 

Within the list of "Indonesian Composers," there is a sublist of "Sundanese Composers", but within that sublist there is no working link to Dody Satya Ekagustdiman.

Very disappointing.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Paulb, it's time to shut down Wikipedia: Allan Pettersson is not on the list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_composers_by_name

paulb

Quote from: Wurstwasser on February 18, 2008, 09:45:23 AM
Paulb, it's time to shut down Wikipedia: Allan Pettersson is not on the list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_composers_by_name

He is there, you have to navigate a  bit.

I did notice in a  encylopedia of all clasica composers at Tulane/s Ml, pre K, that in the 1000's of P's , Pettersson was NOT listed.
"The unknown composer".

btw the 12th, you need to hear it with your soul, otherwise it totally escapes the immediate hearing senses.
Go back to it in 2 yrs from now, then let me know If I "ought to clam down" in my opinon. :)

pjme

Quote from: Dm on February 16, 2008, 08:46:19 AM
I'm quite upset. 

Within the list of "Indonesian Composers," there is a sublist of "Sundanese Composers", but within that sublist there is no working link to Dody Satya Ekagustdiman.

Very disappointing.

Yeah, but fortunately Steffen Schleiermacher has recorded some Ekagustdiman!....
Why do we love the music we love? Why do we hate / do not understand so - and - so? Why aren't we more curious?
any thoughts?

BachQ

Quote from: pjme on February 18, 2008, 10:27:54 AM

Yeah, but fortunately Steffen Schleiermacher has recorded some Ekagustdiman!....
Why do we love the music we love? Why do we hate / do not understand so - and - so? Why aren't we more curious?
any thoughts?

Interesting point.

Music which we supposedly "hate" may, in fact, be music which we simply do not "understand" .......

greg

Quote from: Dm on February 18, 2008, 01:14:15 PM
Interesting point.

Music which we supposedly "hate" may, in fact, be music which we simply do not "understand" .......

makes perfect sense, "hate" could be a synonym for not being able to understand something...... It would be simpler if everyone said "I don't understand", then.......

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Dm on February 18, 2008, 01:14:15 PM
Interesting point.

Or it may simply be crap.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

BachQ

Quote from: Sforzando on February 18, 2008, 02:24:27 PM
Or it may simply be crap.

Unfortunately, in order to formulate an "informed" opinion of a piece of crap, you first need to listen to it and "understand" it ........  :P

greg

Quote from: Dm on February 18, 2008, 04:20:29 PM
Unfortunately, in order to formulate an "informed" opinion of a piece of crap, you first need to listen to it and "understand" it ........  :P
well, there's an understanding in terms of musical understanding, compared to emotional understanding. It's easy to learn country strumming patterns on guitar and understand them musically but impossible to understand them emotionally.

some guy

Quote from: Dm on February 18, 2008, 04:20:29 PM

Wow. But in order to refer to it as "a piece of crap," you have to have already formulated something, or at least pretended to do so. Then you'll pretend to go on from there to "discover" that, voilà, it's crap!

How very nice and convincing circular logic is....

Ten thumbs

I note there are significant composers not on the list who are in Wikipedia but not in the English version. Perhaps all the different language versions ought to be coordinated.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

BachQ

Quote from: some guy on February 18, 2008, 10:11:40 PM
Wow. But in order to refer to it as "a piece of crap," you have to have already formulated something, or at least pretended to do so. Then you'll pretend to go on from there to "discover" that, voilà, it's crap!

How very nice and convincing circular logic is....

Well, I was assuming that the composition was packaged by others as being a piece of crap, and that the listener sported an open mind, and harbored no prejudices prior to listening ........ Such that he would view the composition as a "candidate" for crappiness ........ a label he could either confirm or deny after listening .........