Author Topic: Joachim Raff  (Read 11126 times)

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
Re: Joachim Raff
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2021, 11:19:06 AM »
Well, not sure that I'd give Raff's near entire oeuvre 'the shaft' -  ???  :laugh:  Lately I've been concentrating more on his orchestral works and solo piano pieces, so after a year or so put on the chamber works below; enjoyable performances and compositions - as good as other more renowned 19th century 'romantic composers' (thinking Mendelssohn & Schumann mainly), well probably not but maybe a closer race than thought?  At any rate, I have no problem liking these chamber works; plus, nor do a lot of reviewers - see attachment, if interested.  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: My word, the thread went to the 3rd page!  :laugh:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:26:42 AM by SonicMan46 »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2021, 05:10:37 AM »
Well, not sure that I'd give Raff's near entire oeuvre 'the shaft' -  ???  :laugh:  Lately I've been concentrating more on his orchestral works and solo piano pieces, so after a year or so put on the chamber works below; enjoyable performances and compositions - as good as other more renowned 19th century 'romantic composers' (thinking Mendelssohn & Schumann mainly), well probably not but maybe a closer race than thought?  At any rate, I have no problem liking these chamber works; plus, nor do a lot of reviewers - see attachment, if interested.  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: My word, the thread went to the 3rd page!  :laugh:

I've only heard a couple of his other symphonies, which I found pleasant enough but not in the same league as 'Lenore' of which I have multiple recordings.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2021, 12:18:45 PM »
Hurwitz recommended the woodwind (2 flutes, oboes, clarinets, bassoons, horns) sinfonietta op.188 in one of his talks about such pieces. There seems to be only one recording?, Basel/Joho as a filler of the older Tudor recording of the Symphony #11 "Winter" (Venzago). It's a very nice piece, if one likes that kind of stuff and there is obviously far less 19th century competition here than for symphonies.
I have not heard all of his symphonies, of the ones I have heard, I probably like 3 "Forest" and 5 "Lenore" the best, but I am overall not too impressed by Raff. The more recent Tudor series conducted by Stadlmair is considerably better in both sound and playing than the older Tudor series, but both include different fillers with the sinfonietta missing in the Stadlmair series.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2021, 05:26:00 PM »
After recently "clicking" with some of the music of Richard Wetz, I'm trying to see if any of the other "unsung" late Romantic German composers are worth exploring. Raff is another obvious example, but I haven't heard a single work of his. Anything worth recommending?
The best/most representative work I've heard by Raff is the 1881 version of the Piano Sonata Op. 14. Usual caveat that you have to like this sort of thing.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IIB74BL2Wg4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IIB74BL2Wg4</a>

Offline foxandpeng

• Currently Listening to:
    Mostly post-1900. Brits. Northern Europeans. Others.
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2021, 02:10:05 AM »
I haven't listened to anything by Raff for a while - not because of a lack of appreciation, but because exploring other, more recent works have been my focus. I very much enjoy the easy lyricism that he brings to the table, and spent ages in the early days of CD-Rs transferring symphonies by himself and Anton Rubinstein, track by track from their Marco Polo originals into versions I could listen to myself. Neither Raff nor Rubinstein will ever top a GMG Favourites poll, but both have attractive music that can be played both as background music and as focused listening, when desired. For me, as long as you set your expectations in the right place, you won't complain about their quality as a single malt when what you have poured is a decent blended whisky.

I really quite like symphonies 5, 4, 3 and most of all, 6.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:13:14 AM by foxandpeng »
“A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy