Favourite parts of Mahler 5?

Started by Bonehelm, February 17, 2008, 12:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MISHUGINA

There is probably no other movement that has so much duality and conflict as the 2nd movement. Yeah call me weird, but I love that movement best. That doesn't mean the rest of the movement are least interesting to heard anyways.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on February 19, 2008, 04:31:54 AM
better than when i took my dad to see it...... he's like, "i don't know...."

I had fairly good luck with my parents. They didn't complain too bitterly when I forced them to attend every Mahler concert in Cleveland and Akron during the 70s- They heard 1. 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9. Sometimes they even enjoyed it  ;D  I remember Dad got a kick out of the near-Meistersinger quotes in the Finale of the Seventh. He was grinning from ear to ear when I looked over at him. That was during my evangelical phase, when I was trying to make a Mahler convert out of everyone. I've mellowed since then, passing the torch on to you young dudes.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bonehelm

I repeatedly listened to the Scherzo, and can make no sense out of it so far. All other movements seem to enjoyable...

Have heard late Bernstein, Abbado, Karajan, Mehta and Rattle.

Dana

Quote from: Ephemerid on February 18, 2008, 08:52:46 AMThis is an unfair comment to make, but what I'd like to say is Mahler desperately needed an editor.

I disagree as well. Climaxes are only worth as much as you prepare for them - the ending of the scherzo (my favorite movement) is proof of that. The french horn writing is terrifically entertaining and diabolical in this movement. I especially enjoy the part near the end where he works the orchestra into a frothy frenzy, cuts out for the solo horn, and then brings the whole orchestra back - what a catastrophe! And then just when the symphony seems resigned to yet another failure, Mahler opts for the surprise major ending! What a rousing finale to the second part!

Dana

Incidentally, I also enjoy the Adagietto, but it depends on who does it; the performers often try to make it too "hot," per se, but I prefer it more beautiful than passionate. Maazel comes close here.