Josef Bohuslav Foerster(1859-1951)

Started by Dundonnell, February 19, 2008, 06:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Foerster may not be a 1st tier composer, but he certainly composed some charming pieces. The string quartets are very nice, all of them. The symphonies 1 & 2 are good enough (the best of them is the No. 4 as far as I'm concerned). Don't remember if I've ever heard the piano trios. The piano music is completely unknown to me.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Scion7

Yes, count me as a fan, also.  I personally think he is more successful with chamber and piano works, than with his symphonies.  The concertos are nice.-
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

calyptorhynchus

I acquired the symphonies box set, and I was listening to it when I had a very peculiar experience. I started with No.5 and although the MDG sound was very good no matter how loudly I turned it up I had the feeling that the music wasn't being assertive enough and seemed like it was the background to something else.
Is No.5 like this? Or are they all like this?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: Løvfald on February 15, 2020, 11:24:04 AMFoerster may not be a 1st tier composer, but he certainly composed some charming pieces. The string quartets are very nice, all of them. The symphonies 1 & 2 are good enough (the best of them is the No. 4 as far as I'm concerned). Don't remember if I've ever heard the piano trios. The piano music is completely unknown to me.
I like Cyrano de Bergerac as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

calyptorhynchus

Finished listening to the symphonies, couldn't get on with them at all. Most peculiar, most symphonic composers write connected symphonies, even if they aren't good symphonies, but Foerster's sound like a collection of sketches played one after the other. Pity, because when I listen to bits of them on Youtube, they sounded quite good. Not in full though  :-\
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on February 04, 2023, 10:55:29 PMI like Cyrano de Bergerac as well.

The recording I know appears on this fine CD (the Shakespeare Suite is charming too):

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on February 08, 2023, 11:08:39 AMMost peculiar, most symphonic composers write connected symphonies, even if they aren't good symphonies, but Foerster's sound like a collection of sketches played one after the other.

This reminds me of another [English] composer.  ;D

Noam Chomsky

calyptorhynchus

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Løvfald on February 08, 2023, 12:49:46 PMThe recording I know appears on this fine CD (the Shakespeare Suite is charming too):

I think that my LP and CD are earlier manifestations of the same recording Cesar:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky

Irons

Quote from: Løvfald on February 12, 2023, 02:05:56 PMThe composer who has 412 pages (and counting) of discussion.  ;)

That is an awful lot of pages, I must admit.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

calyptorhynchus

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on February 12, 2023, 11:29:27 PMThat is an awful lot of pages, I must admit.

For such a composer, actually yes.

Noam Chomsky