Jerome Hines

Started by Michel, April 28, 2007, 01:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russel

I was dismayed by some of the uninformed comments made about Jerome Hines earlier in this thread. Apparently, these posters  were unaware of Mr. Hines' artistic personality and had not been around the Met when Jerome Hines sang there. I heard him sing many times from the 1960's through the 1980's. I later met him when he and his wife gave opera performances and workshops for public school students. He and his wife helped many a student enjoy opera. I can attest to the fact that he was an upstanding man in all ways -- honest, personable, and dedicated.

For the record, his 1960 Giovanni was one of the best I've ever heard. I heard him sing seven Gurnemanzes, and he was, at the time (1960's) considered perhaps the finest Gurnemanz in the world. His King Philip was overpowering, in my opinion (and Mr. Hines was very tall.) Other great roles at the Met I saw: two Wotans (Rheingold and Walkure) and some of best sung and best acted Boris Godunovs ever to have been seen in New York.

But this is the beside the point. He was a marvelous man and a great artist whom I remember fondly.