Conrado Del Campo (1878-1953)

Started by arkiv, March 09, 2008, 07:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkiv

Conrado Del Campo (1878-1953)
was almost alone among Spanish composers of his time in taking his musical inspiration from Richard Wagner, Richard Strauss, and Franz Liszt instead of the French impressionists.
La Divina Comedia,' of Conrado del Campo, approximates itself to Strauss's symphonic poems on account of its strength of construction.

http://www.amazon.com/Del-Campo-Divina-Comedia-Orchestral/dp/B00005QITG

Dundonnell

I bought the linked CD sometime ago after reading a review somewhere(can't remember where).

The trouble with having too many CDs and too little time to listen to them is that I frequently forget the quality of a particular set of pieces!

I shall listen to the CD again and post my impressions.

arkiv

Dundonnell

Quote from: epicous on March 21, 2008, 09:28:42 PM
Good, wait for your comments.
;D

Sorry, only finally got round to listening to this CD again!

As you say, the first impressions are of music very much influenced by Wagner, Liszt, Strauss and the other great late Romantic composers. I understand that del Campo actually went to Bayreuth to study Wagner's music-which I cannot imagine was often played in Spain at that time.

Listening to 'La Divina Comedia' I am trying to imagine where I would place del Campo's music if I did not actually know that he was Spanish. I suppose that if I was guessing I might try d'Indy or one of the other French composers of that school. del Campo could certainly write for the orchestra-lush, voluptuous music sometimes reminiscent of Tchaikovsky, sometimes of Debussy as well. Not great music but very attractive nevertheless.

arkiv

Thanks for the impressions.
I have not gotten the CD yet. Here in the 3rd world is difficult to find this kind of records.
8)