Siegmund von Hausegger(1872-1948)

Started by Dundonnell, February 22, 2008, 06:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I started a thread last year on Composers in Germany 1933-45 which generated some interest. In that thread I expressed doubts regarding the possibility of hearing much music written by those composers who prospered in the 1930s in Germany. I also started a thread on Conductors as Composers.

So it is with interest that I see that CPO is about to release a CD of Siegmund von Hausegger's Nature Symphony(1912). von Hausegger is chiefly remembered(?) as the conductor of the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra(1920-38) and as something of a Bruckner expert. He conducted the first performance and made the first recording of the original version of Bruckner's Ninth Symphony(as opposed to the Loewe version with its considerable changes to the score). As far as I can see, von Hausegger was perhaps not quite as much of a fanatical supporter of the Hitler regime as his successor in Munich, Oswald Kabasta(who committed suicide after the war), but he still seems to have been somewhat other than non-political(to put it politely!)

Will be fascinating to hear the Nature Symphony in due course.

Drasko

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 22, 2008, 06:15:17 PM
von Hausegger is chiefly remembered(?) as the conductor of the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra(1920-38) and as something of a Bruckner expert. He conducted the first performance and made the first recording of the original version of Bruckner's Ninth Symphony(as opposed to the Loewe version with its considerable changes to the score).

I have that recording, very nice. Even wrote some time ago few words on it here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,29.msg7646.html#msg7646

Haven't had the idea that he also composed.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Drasko on February 25, 2008, 03:48:41 PM
I have that recording, very nice. Even wrote some time ago few words on it here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,29.msg7646.html#msg7646

Haven't had the idea that he also composed.

You did indeed, and you kindly provided a copy of the album sleeve with a picture of von Hausegger looking very professorial and a bit grim!
We don't yet know what he was like as a composer but he does appear to have been a considerable conductor.

As indeed was his successor at the Munich Philharmonic, Oswald Kabasta, who was ranked by Sir Adrian Boult in the same league as Sir Henry Wood and Willem Mengelberg. Kabasta's reputation was destroyed as a consequence of his pro-Hitler stance and he committed suicide in 1946 at the age of 47.

Dundonnell

Having now hear von Hausegger's Natur Symphonie I can heartly recommend it to those who love huge romantic Germanic extravaganzas!

A vast orchestra is employed together with chorus. Echoes of Bruckner and Mahler(of course) but with a grand funeral march and a tremendous choral finale replete with brass and organ!

von Hausegger only wrote 5 orchestral works but this one-dating from 1911-is worth hearing from a conductor who knew his Wagner and Strauss as well as Bruckner and Mahler.

Available from CPO 777-237-2.

Brian

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 22, 2008, 11:53:14 AM
Having now hear von Hausegger's Natur Symphonie I can heartly recommend it to those who love huge romantic Germanic extravaganzas!

A vast orchestra is employed together with chorus. Echoes of Bruckner and Mahler(of course) but with a grand funeral march and a tremendous choral finale replete with brass and organ!

von Hausegger only wrote 5 orchestral works but this one-dating from 1911-is worth hearing from a conductor who knew his Wagner and Strauss as well as Bruckner and Mahler.

Available from CPO 777-237-2.
I saw a review of this and am very intrigued. Would love to hear what others think.  :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Brian on March 22, 2008, 09:43:01 PM
I saw a review of this and am very intrigued. Would love to hear what others think.  :)

Sorry, just me again! You are obviously referring to David Hurwitz's review on Classics Today. Well he loved the symphony and I hope that others who read his review will give it a go!!

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=11553