Japanese Composers

Started by vandermolen, February 23, 2008, 12:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: sanantonio on August 08, 2013, 10:28:26 AM
I haven't heard many of those recordings, and do not have a favorite, but was agreeing with the sentiment that the kind of criticism you cited was unfair.

:)

Oh, I was just wondering if you had heard any of those recordings. :) Please do investigate them if you get a chance!

dyn

Hosokawa is a compelling composer, but for me his works are uneven in terms of inspiration and originality. There is a lot (as there inevitably is in the works of composers who studied in Germany during a certain period) that sounds like second- or third-pressing Lachenmann—not surprising, even Lachenmann himself sometimes sounds like that—and does not stick long in the memory. However there are also many more engaging works; i particularly find myself returning to his music for shō (japanese mouth organ) and other traditional instruments with regularity.

Both approaches (either assimilating into mainstream musical culture or becoming a "cultural tourism guide") used by "outsiders" to break into the Western classical tradition*—overwhelmingly dominated by white Judeo-Christian European males—have been harshly criticised. Hosokawa's music occasionally escapes or transcends these pitfalls, but for another Japanese composer whose music avoids either easy categorisation or Orientalisation i will unreservedly recommend the music of Jo Kondo, who is well served by ALM Records (also on NML and elsewhere) and whose music is beautiful without being "easy" or "accessible"** (example)

* classical music privilege drinking game: drink every time you see phrases like "a synthesis of Western classical music and the traditions of the composer's native ______" in reviews, CD liner notes, etc when referring to composers born outside America/Europe

** adj., a buzzword whose approximate meaning is "something we think will allow the president of IMG Artists to buy another Lamborghini"

vandermolen

Nice to see some interest here. The Hayasaka Piano Concerto on Naxos was one of my best discoveries in recent years. I have probably played that CD more than any other Naxos CD in my over-sized collection. Moroi's Third Symphony was the other fine discovery - a moving, powerful and eloquent work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 09, 2013, 01:09:05 PM
Nice to see some interest here. The Hayasaka Piano Concerto on Naxos was one of my best discoveries in recent years. I have probably played that CD more than any other Naxos CD in my over-sized collection. Moroi's Third Symphony was the other fine discovery - a moving, powerful and eloquent work.

I agree; those are two very fine works :) Do you know the Akutagawa disc, Jeffrey? His Trinita sinfonica is an exciting, immensely appealing work. The other works on the disc are a bit more "difficult", but no less powerful.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on August 09, 2013, 01:18:33 PM
I agree; those are two very fine works :) Do you know the Akutagawa disc, Jeffrey? His Trinita sinfonica is an exciting, immensely appealing work. The other works on the disc are a bit more "difficult", but no less powerful.

I probably do have it somewhere in my collection Kyle. I'll look it out when I return to the UK next week.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Johnll

Quote from: vandermolen on August 09, 2013, 01:09:05 PM
One of the great reason to look into GMG is that someone (thank you Vandermolen) will guide you to music like this.

vandermolen

Quote from: Johnll on August 10, 2013, 03:44:01 PM
One of the great reason to look into GMG is that someone (thank you Vandermolen) will guide you to music like this.

Thank you John. Also, both these CDs are on Naxos, so that they can be picked up inexpensively.

Tapkaara

Glad to see this thread has gotten bumped!

The Naxos Akutagawa disc seems to be (practically) universally praised. This makes me feel good because it's proof that music by Japanese composers...at least one...has the type of appeal that can make so many people feel lucky to have found it. Actually, there are many Japanese composers, I feel, that have similar appeal and they are there, "hiding" in plain sight. Not because the composers want to remain hidden...but rather...because the music world at large, for whatever bizarre reason, has elected to ignore them.

One would think Takemitsu is the ONLY composer Japan ever produced. Yes, he has by far the most international renown, but I think it could be argued whether or not he's the best Japan has to offer. I suppose he was an avant-gardist when the avant-garde was, for all intents and purposes, the only acceptable music idiom of its day. That was helpful. The praise he got from Stravinsky was helpful too. Also, the championing he received from Seiji Ozawa, himself the best known Japanese conductor or his day, couldn't have hurt.

And thus arises an issue I take with Maestro Ozawa. Seiji-san had a very unique and powerful platform from which to support the other composers from his native Japan but totally neglected (as far as I know) everyone of them aside from Takemitsu. I think this is a gross infraction against the Japanese music world during Ozawa's high-profile years. True, Ozawa thought that Takemitsu was the BEST Japanese composer...which is fine...but surely there must have been others that were worthy of being heard aside from Takemitsu, even if they weren't quite as good in his estimation.

Ozawa could have done so much to further the cause of Japanese music in general but elected not to in complete deference to Takemitsu. This is shameful at best and seditious at worst! (OK, maybe that last bit is exaggerated!)

Having said all of that, massive kudos to Naxos for their efforts in the Japanese Classics series. Yeah, looks like it's run out of steam, but here's to hoping things pick up again at some point.

kyjo

I agree with every word in your post, Tapkaara :) I recall the Ifukube work that is your username is a really fun and exciting piece; I'll have to revisit it. Have you heard any of Shin-Ichiro Ikebe's music, by any chance? I've been looking into getting some recordings of his symphonies and other orchestral works on the Camerata label, but I'm not sure what to expect.

Tapkaara

Quote from: kyjo on August 12, 2013, 05:40:42 PM
I agree with every word in your post, Tapkaara :) I recall the Ifukube work that is your username is a really fun and exciting piece; I'll have to revisit it. Have you heard any of Shin-Ichiro Ikebe's music, by any chance? I've been looking into getting some recordings of his symphonies and other orchestral works on the Camerata label, but I'm not sure what to expect.

Indeed! My name is taken from Ifukube's one and only symphony, Sinfonia Tapkaara.

Ikebe? No, I do not know that name. I know the Camerata label well, though. What do you know about him?

kyjo

Quote from: Tapkaara on August 12, 2013, 07:46:03 PM
Indeed! My name is taken from Ifukube's one and only symphony, Sinfonia Tapkaara.

Ikebe? No, I do not know that name. I know the Camerata label well, though. What do you know about him?

I don't know much about Ikebe, but I just saw some Camerata discs of his orchestral music on Amazon and my interest was piqued. His Symphonies 3 and 5 are on YouTube, so I think I'll give them a listen before emptying my wallet on those Camerata CDs. Here's his Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin-ichiro_Ikebe

Tapkaara

Quote from: kyjo on August 12, 2013, 08:12:23 PM
I don't know much about Ikebe, but I just saw some Camerata discs of his orchestral music on Amazon and my interest was piqued. His Symphonies 3 and 5 are on YouTube, so I think I'll give them a listen before emptying my wallet on those Camerata CDs. Here's his Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin-ichiro_Ikebe

Thanks! I shall check him out on YouTube and Wikipedia.

cjvinthechair

Lovely to see this discussion - Japanese composers hugely under-rated in the west, to my mind.

Can I point anyone remotely interested to the Channel of Shishamo66161 on YT. Listening now to a single upload, best part of 2hrs. long, of Akutagawa's orchestral works. One of many great uploads here !
Clive.

Tapkaara

I guess I have heard Ikebe's music, albeit unknowingly.

I have heard his music in the context of a few Kurosawa films, namely, Kagemusha and Madadayo. I will admit, though, I do not remember any of the themes or anything from these films, but that is not because they were not good...it's simply that I saw these films a long time ago and, well, my memory fails me!

I need to look him up on YouTube now.

Tapkaara

I much prefered the Shinohara piece to the Hosokawa. Hosokawa I knew of previously, Shinohara I did not. I am now curious to learn more about Shinohara.

Looks like he was born in 1931 and he's still alive. His music sounds like it could have come from a later generation. Fascinating.

pjme

I just discovered that Toshiro Mayuzumi' "Nirvana symphony" can now be seen (complete) on YT. ! Maurice Béjart used ( parts?) of it in his ballet "Kabuki".

http://youtube.com/v/IUnAHyZD_d4

Mesmerizing!

P.

lescamil

Akira Miyoshi's works for me are a real revelation, especially these early works from the early 1960s. Sure, they are rooted in expressionism, but there is a real vitality that is present here, and it is a real pleasure to listen to. Listen for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9go1D6E9MQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQUnlSjSvW0
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

pjme

Miyoshi's music is indeed very vital . I love the Concerto for orchestra - in less than 10 minutes it just ...explodes ! Would love to see & hear  it live. It used to available on CBS LP's ( ca 1970-1975?)

Another favorite (once available on the Camerata label) : Teruyuki Noda's Pianoconcerto.

http://youtube.com/v/dmMhbH2JHEE

P.

Tapkaara

It's always fun when "lost" music emerges from the mists of obscurity.

In 1950, Ifukube wrote a ballet called Fire of Prometheus. Since at least 1955, the orchestral score was thought lost though a reduction for two pianos was extant.

Well, fairly recently, portions of the original orchestral score were rediscovered along with some scratchy recordings (maybe a rehearsal) of the original orchestral score. So, with the two-piano version, recordings and the tidbits of the orchestral score, a Japanese composer, Shigeyuki Imai, was able to reconstruct the entire score.

The score was performed for the first time (probably not since 1955) on May 31 of this past year and, just last week, NHK radio broadcast the performance. One portion of the score has appeared on YouTube...and here it is! The Joy for Fire segment from Ifukube's Fire of Prometheus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjfCcW6UFv8