Domenico Scarlatti (1685-1757)

Started by premont, September 18, 2007, 11:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: Que on September 14, 2007, 01:03:44 AM

Complete keyboard sonatas of Domenico Scarlatti by Pieter-Jan Belder (36 CD's)

Recently I acquired the first two vol.s (á 3 CDs) of Belder´s on-going Scarlatti set. This is nothing less than a relevation, because Belder´s interpretations are much more human and reflective than Scott Ross´, and Belder accordingly finds more depth in these works than Scott Ross, who in these ears often is too efficient (read: superficial). Certainly Scarlatti´s Sonatas demand brilliant keyboard technique, but Belder is completely up to Ross in this matter. So I am afraid, that the Belder box is a "must have".
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Harry

Quote from: premont on September 18, 2007, 11:58:57 AM
Recently I acquired the first two vol.s (á 3 CDs) of Belder´s on-going Scarlatti set. This is nothing less than a relevation, because Belder´s interpretations are much more human and reflective than Scott Ross´, and Belder accordingly finds more depth in these works than Scott Ross, who in these ears often is too efficient (read: superficial). Certainly Scarlatti´s Sonatas demand brilliant keyboard technique, but Belder is completely up to Ross in this matter. So I am afraid, that the Belder box is a "must have".

Finally somebody thinking this also. I have been screaming against the roofs how good this was, but nobody did give a damn. I am glad you like it Premont.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: premont on September 18, 2007, 11:58:57 AM
because Belder´s interpretations are much more human and reflective than Scott Ross

Good to know. I think i'll stick to the Ross then. I'm not sure i can handle Scarlatti in such an anachronistic (and should i say, impertinent) guise.

premont

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on September 19, 2007, 08:13:15 PM
Good to know. I think i'll stick to the Ross then. I'm not sure i can handle Scarlatti in such an anachronistic (and should i say, impertinent) guise.

Nothing but your opinion, and I am happy, that I don´t share it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Harry on September 18, 2007, 12:34:59 PM
Finally somebody thinking this also. I have been screaming against the roofs how good this was, but nobody did give a damn. I am glad you like it Premont.

And it was indeed your insistent recommandation, which prompted me to investigate Belders Scarlatti. Thanks.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

rubio

By some, these sonatas are considered among the pinnacles of classical music, and I have not heard any of this music. When it comes to Bach I (so far) prefer to hear his work on harpsichord rather than piano. I guess I will have to try both also with Scarlatti. Can you recommend some top-notch Scarlatti recital discs. Would e.g. this one be a good introduction for piano?

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

XB-70 Valkyrie

Michelangeli's are superb (available on the Membran 10 CD set). Or watch here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXHUIpNCu2k

On harpsichord, Ralph Kirkpatrick is certainly worth a listen, in part because he is considered the grandfather of modern D. Scarlatti scholarship.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Holden

Quote from: rubio on February 28, 2008, 10:17:59 PM
By some, these sonatas are considered among the pinnacles of classical music, and I have not heard any of this music. When it comes to Bach I (so far) prefer to hear his work on harpsichord rather than piano. I guess I will have to try both also with Scarlatti. Can you recommend some top-notch Scarlatti recital discs. Would e.g. this one be a good introduction for piano?

This is an absolutely great recording, Sudbin has the knack of bringing a fesh approach to what he plays. On top of that I'd highly recommend the following

Babayan from Propiano

Horowitz from Sony

Zacharias from EMI

Tomsic

..and di Bonoventura

The Babayan, Horowitz, Tomsic and Sudbin are superb. There are others who don't have complete CDs such as Haskil, Gilels and Perahia who are also worth listening to

Cheers

Holden

FideLeo

Try Scarlatti on a Cristofori fortepiano, the instrument for which many of the sonatas were probably written. 

http://www.denzilwraight.com/Zylberajch.htm
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

rubio

Thanks for many interesting recommendations! Has anybody here heard this cheap CD:

Or Marcelle Meyer:

FideLeo

Quote from: rubio on February 28, 2008, 11:17:21 PM
Thanks for many interesting recommendations! Has anybody here heard this cheap CD:

Or Marcelle Meyer:

I have both and would give my nod to Meyer for what it is (Scarlatti played
romantically on a romantic-style piano).
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

rubio

Quote from: fl.traverso on February 29, 2008, 01:42:48 AM
I have both and would give my nod to Meyer for what it is (Scarlatti played
romantically on a romantic-style piano).

Does the Meyer include the 1947 or the 1953-55 recordings of these sonatas?

dirkronk

The only option I would add to Holden's superb recommendations--and mainly for historical interest and perspective--would be the ancient Landowska.

Enjoy!

Dirk

vanessa_zang

I like Pogorelich on piano in Scarlatti, as well as Michalangeli. (And I prefer Scarlatti over Bach and piano over harpsichord.)

Don

Quote from: rubio on February 28, 2008, 10:17:59 PM

The Sudbin is a wonderful disc.  If you prefer Bach on harpsichord, you'll likely prefer Scarlatti on harpsichord.

ragman1970

ragman1970

Quote from: vanessa_zang on February 29, 2008, 05:34:22 AM
Ha! I mentioned him!

Sorry, my faultSomeone mentioned Demidenko?
Different approch as Sudbin or Pogorelich, not so colorful and warm, but great pianism. (both recording!!!)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

sidoze

Quote from: vanessa_zang on February 29, 2008, 05:03:54 AM
as well as Michalangeli.

There are some fascinating videos on Youtube of a young Michelangeli playing Scarlatti.

(And I prefer Scarlatti over Bach and piano over harpsichord.)

Have you heard Rameau on piano? It's wonderful too.