Domenico Scarlatti (1685-1757)

Started by prémont, September 18, 2007, 11:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: jwinter on November 20, 2008, 10:35:06 AM
I've enjoyed Scarlatti on piano for quite a while -- I have Horowitz, Tipo, Pletnev, and the first 9 volumes of Naxos' set with various pianists -- and would now like to pick up one of the complete sets on harpsichord for contrast.

So -- Scott Ross, Belder on Brilliant, or someone else?  Has anyone heard both of these sets and can compare?

I find Ross exhibits greater fantasy and variety of texture than Belder who is rather cautious.  Haven't heard the Lester recordings.

For those who are not interested in a giant box of Scarlatti, I recommend the BIS disc from Sudbin and Hantai's recordings on Mirare.

jwinter

Quote from: Bulldog on November 20, 2008, 12:27:10 PM
I find Ross exhibits greater fantasy and variety of texture than Belder who is rather cautious.  Haven't heard the Lester recordings.

For those who are not interested in a giant box of Scarlatti, I recommend the BIS disc from Sudbin and Hantai's recordings on Mirare.

Thanks  :)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

karlhenning

I thank you, too, Don.  There won't be a giant Scarlatti box in my near future  :)

mn dave

Quote from: karlhenning on November 21, 2008, 10:22:09 AM
I thank you, too, Don.  There won't be a giant Scarlatti box in my near future  :)

Unless we change his name to Scarlattiev.

karlhenning

Domenico is from my grandma's home town.

Opus106

Has anyone heard the two CDs from Alain Planes? He does not use a harpsichord, but a form of a early piano the sound of which I like.
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/3121906
Regards,
Navneeth

Bulldog

Quote from: karlhenning on November 21, 2008, 10:22:09 AM

I've never acquired a giant box of any composer's music - that's overload for me.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on November 20, 2008, 12:27:10 PM

Don - thanks for support of the Hantai on harpsichord - has been on my 'want list' for an introduction to Scarlatti on this instrument, and also a recently praised Fanfare recommendation!   Dave  :D

prémont

Quote from: opus67 on November 21, 2008, 10:48:05 AM
Has anyone heard the two CDs from Alain Planes? He does not use a harpsichord, but a form of a early piano the sound of which I like.
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/3121906

I think he offers great musicianship, but there is of course a certain lack of that kind of elegance, which only can be realized on a harpsichord.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Opus106

Quote from: premont on November 21, 2008, 11:36:54 PM
I think he offers great musicianship, but there is of course a certain lack of that kind of elegance, which only can be realized on a harpsichord.

So, those sonatas were not written for an early piano, then?
Regards,
Navneeth

prémont

Quote from: opus67 on November 21, 2008, 11:48:29 PM
So, those sonatas were not written for an early piano, then?

Well, maybe as a secondary option, and if you, like me, like the sound of the pianoforte, you may be very satisfied with Planes.

But all, I can say, is, that I find, they are better realized on a harpsichord.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Kullervo

I'm interested in hearing Scarlatti's harpsichord pieces, but not willing to pay upwards of $100 for a complete set (even if it were a third that price I wouldn't want it). With a first recording I am really only interested in how it sounds and how well it is recorded (this seems especially important with the harpsichord). Any comments on these single-disc sets? Have I overlooked anyone?

Bulldog

Pierre Hantai's recordings on Mirare are a must-have, but you might find the premium price a bit much.

prémont

Quote from: Bulldog on December 15, 2008, 06:07:27 AM
Pierre Hantai's recordings on Mirare are a must-have, but you might find the premium price a bit much.

Agreed. And so is his single Scarlatti CD for Astreé.

Scott Ross is robust and energetic, certainly a must.

The recordings of the more reflective Pieter-Jan Belder (Brilliant) can be acquired in cheap 3CD boxes.

The single CDs by Gustav Leonhardt and Trevor Pinnock are worth considering.

I am less sure about Dantone and Baiano (seem to me more like acquired preferences).

I have never heard the Kipnis, Newman nor the Tilney.
Would expect Newman to be rather superficial and self-indulgent, and Tilney to be more introvert, concentrating on beautiful sound.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Harry

Quote from: premont on December 15, 2008, 07:03:27 AM
Agreed. And so is his single Scarlatti CD for Op 111.

The recordings of the more reflective Pieter-Jan Belder (Brilliant) can be acquired in cheap 3CD boxe

Bundled together in one box, since September, and in my eyes the best buy. Scott Ross is simply to nervous for me.

prémont

Quote from: Harry on December 15, 2008, 07:10:54 AM
Bundled together in one box, since September, and in my eyes the best buy. Scott Ross is simply to nervous for me.

But Corey wrote, that he did not want a complete set, not even for $100/3, so my intention was to tell him, that he do not need to purchase the entire Belder set.

Scott Ross has got his virtues, but I prefer to listen to him in small doses.

And my best recommendation would be identical with yours:  Go and get the complete Belder box.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Kullervo

Quote from: premont on December 15, 2008, 10:35:45 AM
But Corey wrote, that he did not want a complete set, not even for $100/3, so my intention was to tell him, that he do not need to purchase the entire Belder set.

Scott Ross has got his virtues, but I prefer to listen to him in small doses.

And my best recommendation would be identical with yours:  Go and get the complete Belder box.

I might, if I like them enough — I just don't want to be stuck with a box set that I never listen to, or (as is very often the case for me in baroque music) may like only in small doses.

I think I will go with the Ross set for now.

Bunny

Quote from: Corey on December 15, 2008, 05:56:16 AM
I'm interested in hearing Scarlatti's harpsichord pieces, but not willing to pay upwards of $100 for a complete set (even if it were a third that price I wouldn't want it). With a first recording I am really only interested in how it sounds and how well it is recorded (this seems especially important with the harpsichord). Any comments on these single-disc sets? Have I overlooked anyone?

The Kipnis is okay.  Certainly not my favorite for anything anymore because of the instrument which is an old Landowska style iron harpsichord.  Part of the pleasure of the harpsichord is in the instrument so if you are playing something that sounds as if it came from outer space rather than the 17th or 18th centuries, it becomes a very different experience.

The Ross is excellent, although the sound is a bit dated (early digital days).  I'm less familiar with the Tilney and Newman recordings.  I haven't gotten the Dantone recording yet, but I am interested in that as I do like his WTC.  If you are only going to get a few single cds of Scarlatti, then I think the newer Hantaï recordings would be the way to go.  Unfortunately, they are pricey. :(

SonicMan46

Don & Others - despite my large CD collection I have a limited collection of Scarlatti's Sonatas only on piano - I've been buying & enjoying 'harpsichord recordings' recently of Handel, Couperin, et al, so would like to explore Domenico's works, but there are SO MANY - now, I'm not one to desire 'multiple' interpretations (one or two excellent ones would be fine) - I own some Hantai in Couperin's works which I love, so is this performer one of the best top choices in Scarlatti?  Thanks all - Dave  :D

Daverz

There's a cheap Hantai Scarlatti CD at BRO.  Don't know how it compares to the Mirare, which, wonder of wonders, I found at Borders.

One of my favorite Scarlatti recitals on CD was by Maggie Cole.  And I love Sgrizzi's Scarlatti on an old Nonesuch Lp (issued on an Accord CD that I don't find as enjoyable to listen to), though that is played on a monster harpsichord, I believe.