Villa-Lobos Anyone?

Started by bvy, March 01, 2008, 03:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Is there seriously no Villa-Lobos thread until now???

Cello Concertos, anyone?

SonicMan46

Plenty of Villa-Lobos fans here - we must have had our minds elsewhere - e.g. Haydn's SQs;) :D

Check out this link in the old forum HERE - plenty of recommendations made at that time; not sure 'what' I've added to those listings since then - not home to look!   :)

DarkAngel

Quote from: SonicMan on November 02, 2009, 12:18:05 PM
Plenty of Villa-Lobos fans here - we must have had our minds elsewhere - e.g. Haydn's SQs -  ;) :D

Check out this link in the old forum HERE - plenty of recommendations made at that time; not sure 'what' I've added to those listings since then - not home to look!   :)

Sonic
I will spend more time digesting my recent Villa-Lobos expansion and most likely get the 7CD complete symphony boxset mentioned a couple posts prior........then if all goes well I have my eye on this 7CD BIS label boxset:

Have you tried any of those solo piano work CDs on Naxos label?

listener

Re the EMI set with Villa-Lobos conducting. 
CHECK DISC 6 FIRST!     I finally got a 4th set that had the right one.    V-L did not write  "Rustle of Spring" and other pop favorites that occupied disc 6 in 3 sets.   
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

SonicMan46

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 02, 2009, 04:19:00 PM
Sonic
I will spend more time digesting my recent Villa-Lobos expansion and most likely get the 7CD complete symphony boxset mentioned a couple posts prior........then if all goes well I have my eye on this 7CD BIS label boxset:

Have you tried any of those solo piano work CDs on Naxos label?

Hello DA - currently, I own nearly 2 dozen CDs of Villa-Lobos recordings, so just much to be recommended, and I may have just scratched the surface of this prolific composer!  ;D

I guess that my 'starter suggestions' would be multi-CD sets: String Quartets (6-discs) & Bachianas Brasileiras (3-CDs):

Concerning Piano Works, the 2-CD set of Piano Concertos (pic above) w/ Christina Ortiz is recommended; in addition I have the 3 discs below on Naxos w/ Sonia Rubinsky; however, this collection does not completely exhaust my other works by this composer, but a good start!  Dave  :D

Guido

Quote from: snyprrr on November 02, 2009, 11:40:20 AM
Is there seriously no Villa-Lobos thread until now???

Cello Concertos, anyone?

The two cello concertos and the Fantasia for cello and orchestra (effectively another one) are all attractive works, very atmospheric, but all are ultimately unmemorable and too meandering to hold lasting appeal or a place in the repertoire. The first concerto is rather grand in its romantic gestures. Not first rate Villa Lobos. If you want Villa Lobos with cello works stick with Bachianas Brasilieras nos.1 and 5 and the absolutely gorgeous arrangements of the Bach 48 for 8 and 9 cellos.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

snyprrr

Quote from: Guido on November 03, 2009, 02:53:00 AM
ultimately unmemorable and too meandering to hold lasting appeal or a place in the repertoire.

mmm,...V-L not the only composer of his generation to suffer from this malady...

Villa-Lobos String Quartets

Which brings me to the SQs. A long time ago I got the Bessler-Ries Quartet playing 4/5/6, and that has been a fav ever since. No.5 is in my top 10, around Janacek and Bartok No.3.

Bessler-Ries recorded the beginning and end of the V-L SQs for Chant du Monde, and then completed the middle for Kaurup in Brazil (with a different group headed by the cellist Ries), making this the only true Brazilian cycle. I don't remember the Quarteto Latinoamerica's performances, though I can't imagine much difference between the two sets. I am perfectly happy with this one, and I can imagine that in terms of sheer finesse, the Bessler-Ries might take the palm here. Their recordings are pretty special, to my ears. There is also a cycle by the Danubius Qrt. on Marco Polo that got great reviews in the old Penguin.

The SQs are pretty homogenous as a set (as opposed to, say, Milhaud's 18). Especially towards the end, V-L, though never "boring", can be spectacularly unmemorable.

The first B-R disc, 1/2/3, chart V-L's progress from suite (No.1), to fully fledged Brazilian masterpiece (No.3). No.3, in particular, sounds like the perfect Brazilian impressionism, very languid and exotic and lush. Beautiful!

SQs 12-17 chart V-L's post-war progression into Haydnesque serialism (Haydn being V-L's inspiration), which I find a perfect application of Schoenbergian style (yea, with a whooole lot more charm, trust me!). No.16 has V-L's most desolately haunting slow mvmt. All, though pretty interchangeably unmemorable, have a spunky spikiness that is very winning.

The middle quartets, 7-11, finally appeared on Kaurup after many years of leaving the cycle incomplete. I had been waiting to hear how V-L bridged the earlier SQ's Brazilian folksiness with the latter SQ's neo-classic serialismo. No.7 stands as the monster of the bunch, a 45min. Blochian/Bachian exercise in composition. It's ok, but I do like Bloch's No.1 better.

No.8, along with Milhaud's No.5, is a great exercise in Schoenberian style, V-L's first, and has some great, great late '30s ideas. This one gets my vote for best Schoenberg! V-L NEVER lets the fun out of the bag, as others did with their take on Schoenebrg.

9-10 I found the weakest of the bunch (along with maybe 1-2, and some of the later ones (no, this cycle is for pretty much enjoyment only, not some great thesis,... V-L LOVED writing SQs, period)). However, No.11 stands as the last great "Brazilian" SQ. It has the best parts of 3/5/6 rolled into a great tropical canvas of transportative ideas.

In all, one of the highlights, and most often listened to, cyles of 20th century SQs in the library. Consistency and accessability and fun are V-L's hallmarks in these SQs, not to mention one of the greatest nationalistic music styles ever. No.5 is a certified masterpiece in my book, and the general quality here is extremely high. Even the ones I don't like all that much are cool to listen to.

I'll be honest though. V-L can be a black hole of obsessive collecting, so I choose to keep my distance! The wind disc on Hyperion is a must, and the Sextetto Mistico is on my list. Many of the other high points have been listed. Yes, V-L was certainly a true musician!

btw- his progressive style in the '40s and '50s made him a leader of the post neo-classical "universal" style that was emerging in the '50s. Malipiero, Bloch, and many other composers started on a similar strain in the '50s, and, I think that V-L epitomizes the universal charm that this style was meant to have. I call it the "UN" style, haha, and, political considerations aside, it WAS a new world back then. Anyhow, viva la Villa!

Whew! :P

Brahmsian

I've become curious about Villa-Lobos' string quartets.  Did not realize he wrote 17 of them  :o, the same number as another composer who had a knack of writing a good SQ here and there.  ;)

How many 'complete editions' are there of the string quartets?  I noticed Dave just posted a set up above.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brahmsian on November 26, 2009, 09:11:37 AM
I've become curious about Villa-Lobos' string quartets.  Did not realize he wrote 17 of them  :o, the same number as another composer who had a knack of writing a good SQ here and there.  ;)

How many 'complete editions' are there of the string quartets?  I noticed Dave just posted a set up above.

Ray - I'm not sure - the same group also appears under the Dorian label; but I suspect that you can count the number of 'complete' sets  on one hand (and one w/ probably w/ a few missing fingers!  ;D).

I was able to pick up the Brilliant box on BRO for around $25 (if I recall) - just a fabulous bargain - these performances are superb, and I find VL's SQ writing some of the most enjoyable in the 20th century (and I do have a couple sets each of Bartok & Shosty) - Dave  :)

snyprrr

1) Quartet Bessler-Ries 1-6. 12-17 Chant du Monde, and Amazonia Quartet 7-11 Kaurup

2) Quarteto Latinoamerico 1-17 Dorian/Brilliant

3) Danubius Quartet 1-17 Marco Polo

71 dB

Quote from: Brahmsian on November 26, 2009, 09:11:37 AM
Did not realize he wrote 17 of them... 

That's not much for such a prolific composer as Villa-Lobos.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Villa-Lobos is one of my favorite composers. Many people seem to just listen to his "Bachianas Brasileiras" and don't get past these compositions, which is truly a shame, because I don't think the "Bachianas" are anywhere near his best works. Since I'm talking about the "Bachianas," the only ones that really resonated with me were Nos. 2 and 3. I find his best music is when he looks more to his own country for inspiration. Works like "Genesis," "Erosao," "Amazonas," "Uirapuru," "Ruda," "Danca dos mosquitos," and "Danca frenetica" are perfect examples of his magnificent composing. Villa-Lobos does an ingenius job at luring the listener in with a seductive melody, but once those primal Brazilian rhythms come in he throws the listener right into the middle of a forbidden jungle where you're left to fend for yourself.

I ususally refer listeners to his "Choros" compositional series first. This is Villa-Lobos in prime form. From the "Choros," I would suggest listeners get into the symphonic poems, ballets, and then work your way through the symphonies, string quartets, and piano music. He's really a fine composer and more people would probably like him, but I think people are pretty closed-minded when it comes to Latin American composers in general. Why this is? I have no idea, but I can only hope that these composers get more concert performances in the years to come.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan on November 02, 2009, 06:10:44 PM
Hello DA - currently, I own nearly 2 dozen CDs of Villa-Lobos recordings, so just much to be recommended, and I may have just scratched the surface of this prolific composer!  ;D

I own around 50 Villa-Lobos recordings, but I'm also counting discs in the various box sets. I'm pretty much done collecting Villa-Lobos. There's supposed to be a new recording coming out on BIS with John Neschling and the Sao Paulo Symphony Orch. next week (June 29). The composition they perform is the wonderful "Forest of the Amazon." As much as I love the classic Alfred Heller recording with Renee Fleming and the Moscow Radio Symphony, I have been really wanting to hear another interpretation of this work. Any thoughts on this work?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Guido on November 03, 2009, 02:53:00 AM
The two cello concertos and the Fantasia for cello and orchestra (effectively another one) are all attractive works, very atmospheric, but all are ultimately unmemorable and too meandering to hold lasting appeal or a place in the repertoire. The first concerto is rather grand in its romantic gestures. Not first rate Villa Lobos. If you want Villa Lobos with cello works stick with Bachianas Brasilieras nos.1 and 5 and the absolutely gorgeous arrangements of the Bach 48 for 8 and 9 cellos.

I find his cello works, which includes "Bachianas Nos. 1 and 5," both "Cello Concertos," and "Fantasia for Cello and Orchestra" to be some of his weakest compositions, which is interesting because he played the cello quite well I heard.

listener

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 22, 2010, 08:29:19 PM
wonderful "Forest of the Amazon." As much as I love the classic Alfred Heller recording with Renee Fleming and the Moscow Radio Symphony, I have been really wanting to hear another interpretation of this work. Any thoughts on this work?
I've got somewhere the vinyl, and recently saw the CD - Bidu Sayao, conducted by Stokowsky on the United Artists label.   If it's still at my local b&m, do you want the web address?
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Mirror Image

Quote from: listener on June 22, 2010, 08:56:57 PM
I've got somewhere the vinyl, and recently saw the CD - Bidu Sayao, conducted by Stokowsky on the United Artists label.   If it's still at my local b&m, do you want the web address?

Thanks listener, but I'm not a big fan of Stokowski's recordings --- most of which boasts terrible mono. I guess I should have said I'm waiting to hear another modern interpretation of this work that's in stereo. :)

Scarpia

I'm embarrassed to admit that out of a collection of several thousand CDs, I do not (to my knowledge) have a single piece by Villa Lobos represented in my collection.   ???

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scarpia on June 22, 2010, 09:04:21 PM
I'm embarrassed to admit that out of a collection of several thousand CDs, I do not (to my knowledge) have a single piece by Villa Lobos represented in my collection.   ???

This is not so surprising, because most people let Latin American composers slip through the cracks and Villa-Lobos is no exception. :D

If you would like any recommendations, then please don't hesitate to ask. I will be glad to help you.

Scarpia

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 22, 2010, 09:05:23 PM
This is not so surprising, because most people let Latin American composers slip through the cracks and Villa-Lobos is no exception. :D

If you would like any recommendations, then please don't hesitate to ask. I will be glad to help you.

To be honest, I am repelled by the "Spanish" music of Ravel, and this has left me unenthusiastic for actual Latin music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scarpia on June 22, 2010, 09:13:22 PM
To be honest, I am repelled by the "Spanish" music of Ravel, and this has left me unenthusiastic for actual Latin music.

What music have you heard from actual Latin American composers? There's a huge difference between Spanish and Latin American composers. There's also a huge difference between Ravel's view of Spain and actual Spanish music.