Villa-Lobos Anyone?

Started by bvy, March 01, 2008, 03:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

A quick heads-up...the April 2020 issue of BBC Music Magazine has an all-HVL covermount CD, including Uirapuru, The Sewing Women, Two Legends of Nheengatu, Choros 8 & 10, and Symphony No. 9.

I don't know how long it's out for, maybe a couple more weeks.

http://www.classical-music.com/issue/april-2020

MadvillainQuas

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 31, 2020, 01:09:33 PM
I'm going to put a good word in for the symphonies. They're not particularly groundbreaking, but I thoroughly enjoy them when I listen to them. My favourites are Nos. 2 & 4.

I know for certain that I can vouch for his Symphony No. 10. Some truly awe-inspiring moments combining the best of Brazilian folk-inspired harmonies, alongside some beautiful choir-work. It might be a little out-there, in terms of its subject material, but I find it to feature a lot of the 'vigour' that I love from his key-works, such as the Bachianas Brasileiras no. 3 & 9. Breath-taking in places.

Henk

Villa-Lobos is wonderful imo. The music has some vulnerability about it and is grand at the same time. Been listening to the Neschling box and I leave it near my cd-player for the time being to give it more spins I suppose.
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 04, 2020, 06:40:58 AM
A quick heads-up...the April 2020 issue of BBC Music Magazine has an all-HVL covermount CD, including Uirapuru, The Sewing Women, Two Legends of Nheengatu, Choros 8 & 10, and Symphony No. 9.

I don't know how long it's out for, maybe a couple more weeks.

http://www.classical-music.com/issue/april-2020
Sounds great but as WH Smith is shut, as far as I'm aware, I don't know how I can get a copy.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Quote from: vandermolen on April 22, 2020, 05:13:47 AM
Sounds great but as WH Smith is shut, as far as I'm aware, I don't know how I can get a copy.

It's irrelevant as the V-L is no longer the current issue: Some stores are closed, but those with post offices in them and hospital branches remain open.

Quote from: whsmith.co.ukGiven the evolving situation, we have taken the decision to keep our stores open in the specific communities which most need our services at this time. We are currently operating from 140 hospital stores, in order to continue to serve NHS staff with food and drinks, and 204 High Street stores which host a Post Office in order to provide vital banking and postal services to these communities. All other WHSmith stores are now temporarily closed.

Maestro267

Ordered volumes 2 and 3 of the BIS Choros series. For those keeping score at home, that's everything except Nos. 5, 7 & 11, which I picked up last autumn.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 22, 2020, 09:59:40 AM
Ordered volumes 2 and 3 of the BIS Choros series. For those keeping score at home, that's everything except Nos. 5, 7 & 11, which I picked up last autumn.

I wasn't keeping score, but that's great. Villa-Lobos is one of my favorites. The Chôros are magnificent works.

Maestro267

Well, the discs have arrived, but unfortunately one of them (Vol. 3) is going right back, with scratches on the disc affecting play. What's weird is that the disc feels smooth when I run my fingernail over it. I've had discs with worse scratching on them play perfectly well. At least I have volume 2 though.

SonicMan46

My Villa-Lobos collection is up for review - own nearly three dozen discs (several boxes) - expect to add or replace some recordings, but thought that Heitor's own thread will generate a better reaction - first discs up are some from the Duarte Marco Polo (MP) series - just own the first two below and streamed the 3rd one of the Suites which I really enjoyed!  Last two shown of some chamber works.

My first question concerns the Duarte recordings on MP (surprised Naxos has not boxed these up?) - which are favs and any 'real' competition?  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Looking at the Marco Polo Catalog on the Naxos Website, appears that Duarte made 5 recordings, so my main decision is whether I need 2 of the 3 others (already have a good Symphony set)?

Quote*Discovery of Brazil Suites Nos. 1-4 Slovak RSO (Bratislava) / Roberto Duarte
*Gênesis • Erosão • Amazonas Dawn in a Tropical Forest Czecho-Slovak RSO, Bratislava Roberto Duarte
*Pequena Suíte - Bachianas brasilerias Nos. 2, 5 and 6 Assobio a jato • Capriccio • Prelúdio • Elégie
   (Emmanuel Pahud, Flute, Friedrich Edelmann, Bassoon, Rebecca Rust, Cello / David Apter, Piano)
*Rudepoema • Danças características africanas Danca frenética • Danca dos mosquitos Slovak RSO /   
    Roberto Duarte
*Symphony No. 6 Rudá "Dio d'amore", Symphonic Poem & Ballet Slovak RSO, Bratislava / Roberto Duarte

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 09, 2020, 08:30:25 AM
My Villa-Lobos collection is up for review - own nearly three dozen discs (several boxes) - expect to add or replace some recordings, but thought that Heitor's own thread will generate a better reaction - first discs up are some from the Duarte Marco Polo (MP) series - just own the first two below and streamed the 3rd one of the Suites which I really enjoyed!  Last two shown of some chamber works.

My first question concerns the Duarte recordings on MP (surprised Naxos has not boxed these up?) - which are favs and any 'real' competition?  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Looking at the Marco Polo Catalog on the Naxos Website, appears that Duarte made 5 recordings, so my main decision is whether I need 2 of the 3 others (already have a good Symphony set)?

Where do I even begin with this post?!?!? :) I think all of the Robert Duarte recordings on Marco Polo are absolutely essential to a V-L collection, especially the recordings with The Discovery Of Brazil Suites and Gênesis (plus Erosão, Amazonas and Dawn in a Tropic Forest). I don't know those recordings on Helios (Hyperion) or on that Adda label. I do know those works, however, but in different recordings. If you've decided on culling your V-L collection perhaps you can provide us with a full list of what's in your current collection?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2020, 09:22:56 AM
Where do I even begin with this post?!?!? :) I think all of the Robert Duarte recordings on Marco Polo are absolutely essential to a V-L collection, especially the recordings with The Discovery Of Brazil Suites and Gênesis (plus Erosão, Amazonas and Dawn in a Tropic Forest). I don't know those recordings on Helios (Hyperion) or on that Adda label. I do know those works, however, but in different recordings. If you've decided on culling your V-L collection perhaps you can provide us with a full list of what's in your current collection?

Hi John - thanks for replying - I plan to post on most of what I own, so don't need to make a long list of everything; also, I will likely not get rid of much at all, but might replace several recordings (depending of what 'new' is available) and/or add a few, e.g. as stated before I listened to two of the Duarte Marco Polo discs on Spotify this morning which are not in my collection - PrestoMusic has these as MP3 DLs (320 kbps) which includes the digital booklets.

Now, selectively listening to the recordings below - have two versions of the Floresta do Amazonas and prefer the newer one w/ Neschling, but want to do some A-B comparisons to see if I can cull out the older Fleming recording.  The Choros & Bachianas Brasileiras BIS box w/ Neschling is a favorite and will remain on the shelf -  :laugh:  For those reading these posts and just getting into this composer, reviews of all these recordings are attached!  Dave

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 09, 2020, 10:01:47 AM
Hi John - thanks for replying - I plan to post on most of what I own, so don't need to make a long list of everything; also, I will likely not get rid of much at all, but might replace several recordings (depending of what 'new' is available) and/or add a few, e.g. as stated before I listened to two of the Duarte Marco Polo discs on Spotify this morning which are not in my collection - PrestoMusic has these as MP3 DLs (320 Mbps) which includes the digital booklets.

Now, selectively listening to the recordings below - have two versions of the Floresta do Amazonas and prefer the newer one w/ Neschling, but want to do some A-B comparisons to see if I can cull out the older Fleming recording.  The Choros & Bachianas Brasileiras BIS box w/ Neschling is a favorite and will remain on the shelf -  :laugh:  For those reading these posts and just getting into this composer, reviews of all these recordings are attached!  Dave

Alright, thanks, Dave. I would definitely get rid of that Floresta do Amazonas recording with Fleming as it's inferior to the Neschling in more ways than one. The reason I have a rather harsh opinion of the Fleming/Heller recording is because of the use of an electronic instrument to emulate the sound of an instrument they couldn't get their hands on. I forget what the booklet notes detailed about this at the moment but I recall the Neschling recording eliminated this problem and got their hands on this instrument, which, now that I think about it, might be a violinophone, but don't quote me on that. ;) Anyway, if you own the older CPO set of symphonies, I would consider supplementing them with Karabtchevsky on Naxos. I prefer his recordings now and consider that St. Clair/Stuttgart set 'too clean' and much too polished for this music which needs some roughness and raw edges. But Karabtchevsky also recorded some works released on some of these symphony recordings that you just can't find like Mandu-Çarará for example. Just throwing this out there as I remember talking about my preference for the CPO set many years ago. Opinions are like time itself --- they change. I hope this helps in some small way.

71 dB

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 09, 2020, 08:30:25 AM

This needs a re-release. It is seriously OOP. The asked prices are ridiculous.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2020, 10:14:53 AM
Alright, thanks, Dave. I would definitely get rid of that Floresta do Amazonas recording with Fleming as it's inferior to the Neschling in more ways than one. The reason I have a rather harsh opinion of the Fleming/Heller recording is because of the use of an electronic instrument to emulate the sound of an instrument they couldn't get their hands on. I forget what the booklet notes detailed about this at the moment but I recall the Neschling recording eliminated this problem and got their hands on this instrument, which, now that I think about it, might be a violinophone, but don't quote me on that. ;) Anyway, if you own the older CPO set of symphonies, I would consider supplementing them with Karabtchevsky on Naxos. I prefer his recordings now and consider that St. Clair/Stuttgart set 'too clean' and much too polished for this music which needs some roughness and raw edges. But Karabtchevsky also recorded some works released on some of these symphony recordings that you just can't find like Mandu-Çarará for example. Just throwing this out there as I remember talking about my preference for the CPO set many years ago. Opinions are like time itself --- they change. I hope this helps in some small way.

Thanks again John for your comments - I do have the St. Clair CPO box (7-discs - you may have helped me decide back in 2013 which is the year of my Amazon purchase, just $44 then), and today was looking at the newer releases w/ Karabtchevsky and the São Paulo Orchestra - on PrestoClassical, I'm seeing 4 releases so far at $8.75 per physical CD there - assume Naxos is planning for a complete set?  So, the question is 'buy now' or 'wait for a box'?

Finally, I did decide to dump the Fleming recording of Floresta do Amazonas - really enjoy the much later BIS CD (SACD also) - Dave :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: 71 dB on June 09, 2020, 12:28:06 PM
This needs a re-release. It is seriously OOP. The asked prices are ridiculous.

Agree Poju! Today, I went ahead and bought the 2 below missing in my collection as MP3 DLs (320 kbps) - burned to CD-R which are printable, so now have 4 of the Duarte recordings on disc; also came w/ digital booklets - not ideal but with my 'old ears' and a modest home stereo system, sounds fine to me. :)  Dave

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 09, 2020, 12:59:32 PM
Thanks again John for your comments - I do have the St. Clair CPO box (7-discs - you may have helped me decide back in 2013 which is the year of my Amazon purchase, just $44 then), and today was looking at the newer releases w/ Karabtchevsky and the São Paulo Orchestra - on PrestoClassical, I'm seeing 4 releases so far at $8.75 per physical CD there - assume Naxos is planning for a complete set?  So, the question is 'buy now' or 'wait for a box'?

Finally, I did decide to dump the Fleming recording of Floresta do Amazonas - really enjoy the much later BIS CD (SACD also) - Dave :)

You're welcome, Dave. 8) I'm not sure what to tell you about the possibility of a V-L symphony set from Naxos. That's a guessing game. I would say, however, that if you feel content with St. Clair, then my recommendation for the Karabtchevsky shouldn't be seen as an urgent request. But, if you enjoy these symphonies, I would seriously consider getting those Naxos recordings. There are actually six recordings in this Karabtchevsky series on Naxos.

P.S. Good to see you dump the Fleming/Heller recording. ;) I would do the same, but I'm one of those listeners who likes to hold onto things, especially when its concerning one of my favorite composers.

SonicMan46

Villa-Lobos & Guitar - at the moment, I own the top 3 recordings shown below - duplicate solo works w/ Anders Miolin (in the BIS box of Choros et al) and Fabio Zanon; plus, the Guitar Concerto w/ Eduardo Fernandez in an old Double Decca.  I'm happy w/ these recordings, but was looking on Amazon today and found some interesting 'new' offerings, i.e. the lower two; one w/ the Guitar Concerto, plus some other interesting works, including harmonica!  Also, a small Naxos box of guitar w/ an Italian instrumentalist - any comments?  Thanks - Dave :)

Papy Oli

Hi Dave,
I only have one CD with his complete music for solo guitar by Norbert Kraft on Naxos but it is absolutely gorgeous.
Olivier

SonicMan46

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 09, 2020, 02:08:56 PM
Hi Dave,
I only have one CD with his complete music for solo guitar by Norbert Kraft on Naxos but it is absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks Papy - Kraft has a LOT of recordings on Spotify, including the Villa-Lobos - I'll take a listen - :)  Dave

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 09, 2020, 02:04:05 PM
Villa-Lobos & Guitar - at the moment, I own the top 3 recordings shown below - duplicate solo works w/ Anders Miolin (in the BIS box of Choros et al) and Fabio Zanon; plus, the Guitar Concerto w/ Eduardo Fernandez in an old Double Decca.  I'm happy w/ these recordings, but was looking on Amazon today and found some interesting 'new' offerings, i.e. the lower two; one w/ the Guitar Concerto, plus some other interesting works, including harmonica!  Also, a small Naxos box of guitar w/ an Italian instrumentalist - any comments?  Thanks - Dave :)

Hello again, Dave. ;) It appears we're the only V-L fans here. ;) I would NOT hesitate to add that Naxos box set Complete Guitar Manuscripts to your collection. Look carefully at the contents of that set as it's not just solo guitar music as it contains a number of works for guitar and orchestra/voice and chamber ensemble settings. The set also contains the not oft-recorded orchestral work O papagaio do moleque, which is outstanding. Check out this set's contents here:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8188059--villa-lobos-complete-guitar-manuscripts

That recording with the Guitar Concerto, Harmonia Concerto, etc. is also top-notch. Definitely worth your consideration. Another V-L recording I recommend with great enthusiasm is this one on Naxos with the Mobius Ensemble: