Villa-Lobos Anyone?

Started by bvy, March 01, 2008, 03:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 09, 2020, 01:28:16 PM
Agree Poju! Today, I went ahead and bought the 2 below missing in my collection as MP3 DLs (320 kbps) - burned to CD-R which are printable, so now have 4 of the Duarte recordings on disc; also came w/ digital booklets - not ideal but with my 'old ears' and a modest home stereo system, sounds fine to me. :)  Dave

Cool. Yes, 320 kbps mp3's sound practically identical to the CD.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SonicMan46

Villa-Lobos & Piano Works - my current collection below which includes solo, chamber, and orchestral pieces w/ piano - reviews attached of nearly all of these recordings; an occasional thread is some of these reviews is that Heitor's piano writing may be a weaker part of his vast oeuvre - not sure that I really agree, so will be curious on the comments of others.  Also there are other pianists who have recorded the solo works - other favorites or is Rubinsky the best option for one wanting a 'substantial' collection of keyboard works?  Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 10, 2020, 11:40:13 AM
Villa-Lobos & Piano Works - my current collection below which includes solo, chamber, and orchestral pieces w/ piano - reviews attached of nearly all of these recordings; an occasional thread is some of these reviews is that Heitor's piano writing may be a weaker part of his vast oeuvre - not sure that I really agree, so will be curious on the comments of others.  Also there are other pianists who have recorded the solo works - other favorites or is Rubinsky the best option for one wanting a 'substantial' collection of keyboard works?  Dave :)

Hello again, Dave. We've got to stop meeting like this. ;) I wouldn't get rid of any of those recordings. That set of solo piano music is excellent and while not every work is a grand slam, there is still much there to be savored and enjoyed. Plus, we're unlikely to get another complete traversal of the solo piano music anytime soon. For the Violin Sonatas, that's the only decent recording of those works. It's not a perfect recording (too reverberant), but it's better than the competition. That is a fantastic recording of the Piano Trios and one of those essential V-L recordings, IMHO. The Piano Concertos set is a mixed bag, but I can tell you this: there hasn't been another cycle to challenge it, so it's valuable in that regard and the performances are quite good. The PCs aren't up to V-L's usual high standards and they can turn into note-spinning, but I think it wouldn't be a good idea to get rid of them, because there is some good music there.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 10, 2020, 01:36:12 PM
Hello again, Dave. We've got to stop meeting like this. ;) I wouldn't get rid of any of those recordings. That set of solo piano music is excellent and while not every work is a grand slam, there is still much there to be savored and enjoyed. Plus, we're unlikely to get another complete traversal of the solo piano music anytime soon. For the Violin Sonatas, that's the only decent recording of those works. It's not a perfect recording (too reverberant), but it's better than the competition. That is a fantastic recording of the Piano Trios and one of those essential V-L recordings, IMHO. The Piano Concertos set is a mixed bag, but I can tell you this: there hasn't been another cycle to challenge it, so it's valuable in that regard and the performances are quite good. The PCs aren't up to V-L's usual high standards and they can turn into note-spinning, but I think it wouldn't be a good idea to get rid of them, because there is some good music there.

Hi John - looks like we're meeting again in isolation!  :laugh:  All of those previous recordings are 'keepers' for me - I would be curious to hear another set of the Piano Concertos but not holding my breath, plus Ortiz does a good job.  So far, I've culled just one recording (Fleming in the Forest) and added two Marco Polos w/ Duarte (on MP3 DLs).  Another post or two will finish my perusal of my HVL collection w/ little change, as I expected.  Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 10, 2020, 06:37:04 PM
Hi John - looks like we're meeting again in isolation!  :laugh:  All of those previous recordings are 'keepers' for me - I would be curious to hear another set of the Piano Concertos but not holding my breath, plus Ortiz does a good job.  So far, I've culled just one recording (Fleming in the Forest) and added two Marco Polos w/ Duarte (on MP3 DLs).  Another post or two will finish my perusal of my HVL collection w/ little change, as I expected.  Dave :)

Yes, indeed, Dave. Exactly my sentiments on the Piano Concertos. They're not going to get recorded again for quite some time I'm afraid or, at least, it appears this way. Looking forward to your next post, so I can be the only member who responds to it. ;D

Biffo

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 10, 2020, 11:40:13 AM

Marc-Andre Hamelin has recorded an album of Villa- Lobos (Hyperion)

SonicMan46

Villa-Lobos & String Quartets (SQs) - one of my early introductions to this composer and still a favorite 'listen' are the SQs; indeed for myself and considering the 'larger' 20th century string quartet sets, I feel Villa-Lobos is up there w/ Bartok and Shostakovich (or at least close) - but if I had to pull out a box of quartets from the last century, Heitor's compositions would usually be my first choice, just me I guess?

Now in the last week of listening to my nearly three dozen V-L CDs, I've culled out only I, added 2 of the Duarte series as MP3 DLs, and have actually added two more, an upcoming post.  BUT - for the SQs, I own the first box shown below (6 discs) w/ the Cuarteto Latinoamericano and have just listened to 2/3 of the works last night and this morning - I see no need to replace them; if so, what is available at least on Amazon USA (did not look elsewhere so my comments may be limited).  There is another box w/ the same group (2nd pic) - recordings are said in one of the reviews attached to have been remastered, not sure, and a DVD is now included, but the offering is not cheap.  The Danubius Quartet on Marco Polo have recorded all SQs, but these seem to be OOP on Amazon but some available at PrestoMusic; MP3s of most, I believe - see comparative reviews - do not believe this group tops the one the I own.  Finally, Quatuor Bessler-Reis was supposedly making a complete set, but I see just 4 CDs on Amazon USA, i.e. 2/3 of the works - have not checked to see if other newer recordings have emerged, anyone know?

SO, even in a modest Villa-Lobos collection, the SQs should be considered a MUST (at least in my mind - and keep in mind that the composer was originally a cello player although he learn to play other instruments, including the guitar).  Dave :)

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 11, 2020, 08:27:32 AM
Quatuor Bessler-Reis was supposedly making a complete set, but I see just 4 CDs on Amazon USA, i.e. 2/3 of the works - have not checked to see if other newer recordings have emerged, anyone know?

I have the complete five-disc set.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2020, 08:44:44 AM

I have two discs of that set: the one with 1, 2 and 3 and the one with 15, 16 and 17. I had a Brazilian working pal who donated these discs to me when returning from Finland to Brazil and didn't bother to take them with him.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 11, 2020, 08:27:32 AM
Villa-Lobos & String Quartets (SQs) - one of my early introductions to this composer and still a favorite 'listen' are the SQs; indeed for myself and considering the 'larger' 20th century string quartet sets, I feel Villa-Lobos is up there w/ Bartok and Shostakovich (or at least close) - but if I had to pull out a box of quartets from the last century, Heitor's compositions would usually be my first choice, just me I guess?

Now in the last week of listening to my nearly three dozen V-L CDs, I've culled out only I, added 2 of the Duarte series as MP3 DLs, and have actually added two more, an upcoming post.  BUT - for the SQs, I own the first box shown below (6 discs) w/ the Cuarteto Latinoamericano and have just listened to 2/3 of the works last night and this morning - I see no need to replace them; if so, what is available at least on Amazon USA (did not look elsewhere so my comments may be limited).  There is another box w/ the same group (2nd pic) - recordings are said in one of the reviews attached to have been remastered, not sure, and a DVD is now included, but the offering is not cheap.  The Danubius Quartet on Marco Polo have recorded all SQs, but these seem to be OOP on Amazon but some available at PrestoMusic; MP3s of most, I believe - see comparative reviews - do not believe this group tops the one the I own.  Finally, Quatuor Bessler-Reis was supposedly making a complete set, but I see just 4 CDs on Amazon USA, i.e. 2/3 of the works - have not checked to see if other newer recordings have emerged, anyone know?

SO, even in a modest Villa-Lobos collection, the SQs should be considered a MUST (at least in my mind - and keep in mind that the composer was originally a cello player although he learn to play other instruments, including the guitar).  Dave :)

The SQs ARE an essential part of V-L's oeuvre without a doubt in my mind. I haven't heard any other performances other than the Cuarteto Latinoamericano cycle. I have been rather satisfied with their performances, so I never felt that it was necessary for me to have any others in my collection.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2020, 08:44:44 AM

That's a rather curious set. I don't think I've even seen it before.

SonicMan46

Thanks Guys!  Just added the review PDF to my post (had forgotten) -  :)

All three of those SQ groups received good recommendations, so I assume that you're happy w/ the recordings?  Dave

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 11, 2020, 09:30:00 AM
The SQs ARE an essential part of V-L's oeuvre without a doubt in my mind. I haven't heard any other performances other than the Cuarteto Latinoamericano cycle. I have been rather satisfied with their performances, so I never felt that it was necessary for me to have any others in my collection.

+1 John and after reading the reviews, considered one of the top ones.  Dave

Mirror Image

I hope MusicTurner doesn't mind me taking our conversation to the composer thread:

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 08, 2020, 12:15:03 PM
Have mostly been listening to these the last couple of days ...

My Villa-Lobos collection isn't quite comprehensive enough & I've decided to buy a some more CD stuff soon, have begun to appreciate him further.

The Jenny Abel/Szidon recording of the Villa Lobos 3 Violin Sonatas is very good musically, but has an unusually spacious sound. Very much worth hearing.
So is the Choros no.11, a big piano concertante piece lasting 60+ minutes.

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 08, 2020, 12:54:35 PM
Yes, the Abel/Szidon recording is way too reverberant. I wish a label like BIS would record these works, they're really fantastic, especially the 3rd VS. Have you bought any of the SQs or solo piano music? How about the Chôros (the BIS set of these works is an essential acquisition for any V-L fan, IMHO)? I would also see if you can't track down those older Marco Polo recordings with Roberto Duarte conducting --- all of these recordings are top-notch. The symphonies are hit/miss, but I really enjoyed the 4th, 6th and 10th but YMMV. There's one thing I can say about my time here on GMG and that is I never pass up the opportunity to talk about V-L's music.

Mirror Image

Not much activity in this thread unfortunately since my last post, but this seems to be under some people's radars at the moment:

Promo video for the box set:

https://www.youtube.com/v/OSDfzDLE9Vs

I used to prefer the performances from St. Clair of the symphonies on the CPO label until I really started listening to Karabtchevsky's cycle. The problem with the St. Clair performances now that I've had the opportunity to do an evaluation is he's too controlled in the music. The orchestra used in the St. Clair series, the Stuttgart RSO, are a fine orchestra, but they play this music a bit too precise and they don't really give into much of the wildness that this music requires. Karabtchevsky, of course, is Brazilian and has the São Paulo Symphony Orchestra at his disposal, which know this music inside out. Karabtchevsky also plays the music with the wild abandon that it needs in order for it to make the kind of impact it needs. I've said this before, but I don't feel Villa-Lobos' strongest works are his symphonies, but there is enough good music within these works to make them worthwhile. Symphony No. 10, 'Amerindia' is sprawling work, but it's so enthralling. I also felt Symphonies Nos. 4 & 6 were quite memorable. Anyway, if any of you want to get to know these works (and what fan of V-L's music wouldn't really), then you should definitely pick up the Karabtchevsky cycle on Naxos, especially now that it's been boxed up!

Florestan

I have listened to the complete Choros and I liked them all in various degrees. Best of all I liked the one named Pica-Pau (IIRC). I listened to some piano music from the Rubinsky box (both books of A prole do bebe, IIRC) and liked them. I just love his song Melodia sentimental and the Valsa da dor for piano solo. I like melodic music and my attention span starts to dwindle after 30 minutes. Where should I go next with Villa-Lobos, a composer I've been meaning to explore for years but somehow never got around it?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on November 19, 2020, 09:51:20 AM
I have listened to the complete Choros and I liked them all in various degrees. Best of all I liked the one named Pica-Pau (IIRC). I listened to some piano music from the Rubinsky box (both books of A prole do bebe, IIRC) and liked them. I just love his song Melodia sentimental and the Valsa da dor for piano solo. I like melodic music and my attention span starts to dwindle after 30 minutes. Where should I go next with Villa-Lobos, a composer I've been meaning to explore for years but somehow never got around it?

The string quartets would be a great next start. Get the Cuarteto Latinoamericano cycle on Dorian. The Bachianas Brasileiras series should be on the list, especially after you've listened to the Chôros. My favorite Villa-Lobos song would be Canção de Cristal:

https://www.youtube.com/v/kjke8RzoQg4

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on November 19, 2020, 09:51:20 AM
I'd recommend the Bachianas Brasileiras, the guitar music, and the rest of the piano music. Also the recording of chamber music by mobius.

https://www.youtube.com/v/Wv3eKacp3wk
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 19, 2020, 10:05:08 AM
The string quartets would be a great next start. Get the Cuarteto Latinoamericano cycle on Dorian.

Thank you very much, John. I think I'll start with what I have, though:

QuoteMy favorite Villa-Lobos song would be Canção de Cristal:

https://www.youtube.com/v/kjke8RzoQg4

A splendid song indeed. Loved it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I enjoyed this disc immensely:

the Guitar Concerto being my favorite.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on November 19, 2020, 10:15:03 AM
Thank you very much, John. I think I'll start with what I have, though:

A splendid song indeed. Loved it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I enjoyed this disc immensely:

the Guitar Concerto being my favorite.

You're welcome, Andrei. Yes, that newer V-L disc is great! I should revisit it actually now that you mentioned it. Another suggestion would be to check out the Piano Trios, which I became familiar with about two or three years ago thanks to this marvelous recording:

Let me say that V-L's oeuvre is quite vast, so one of the best things you can do is to just dive in. :)