Eduard Tubin (1905-82)

Started by vandermolen, March 02, 2008, 01:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

I've been listening to the Tubin/Jarvi box set and really enjoying it.  Very fine works, melodic and vigorous.  So far I've listened to 3, 8, 4, 9.  I think my favorite so far is 4 but they're all very fine.

Mirror Image

I guess I'm the only one who truly loves the 1st symphony. I've said it before, but I think the first movement alone is a miniature masterpiece. I don't have a number of preference as I don't really feel I know the symphonies well enough to give such a list. I do know the 1st and 4th made a huge impression on me, but I recall great things about the 2nd and 7th as well.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 20, 2022, 06:16:52 AM
I guess I'm the only one who truly loves the 1st symphony. I've said it before, but I think the first movement alone is a miniature masterpiece. I don't have a number of preference as I don't really feel I know the symphonies well enough to give such a list. I do know the 1st and 4th made a huge impression on me, but I recall great things about the 2nd and 7th as well.
No you're not John  ;D. No.1 is one of my favourites - it reminds me of Kaljo Raid's later 1st Symphony, which I also think very highly of.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 20, 2022, 06:16:52 AM

Noooo. I also love #1. Tubin is one of only a few symphonists whose works I enjoy in their entirety. #1 may not be toward the top of Tubin for me, but I would put it ahead of lots of other symphonies I enjoy by lots of other composers.

Now listening to the full Kratt on Alba 😁
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Kratt contains some of the best music Tubin ever wrote IMO. The ballet is not too long either, something that 'helps' the listener. Good listening!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 20, 2022, 06:57:28 AM
No you're not John  ;D. No.1 is one of my favourites - it reminds me of Kaljo Raid's later 1st Symphony, which I also think very highly of.

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 20, 2022, 10:38:27 AM
Noooo. I also love #1. Tubin is one of only a few symphonists whose works I enjoy in their entirety. #1 may not be toward the top of Tubin for me, but I would put it ahead of lots of other symphonies I enjoy by lots of other composers.

Now listening to the full Kratt on Alba 😁

Great to read, fellas. 8)

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 20, 2022, 01:51:56 PM
Kratt contains some of the best music Tubin ever wrote IMO. The ballet is not too long either, something that 'helps' the listener. Good listening!

Thank you, my friend 🙂  Until the Alva release, I had only heard the ballet suite conducted by Jarvi, but the full score is top quality.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 20, 2022, 07:11:58 PM
Thank you, my friend 🙂  Until the Alva release, I had only heard the ballet suite conducted by Jarvi, but the full score is top quality.

It certainly is and a real milestone in Estonian music too since I believe it was the first major ballet written by a composer from this country.

Symphonic Addict

Tubin's operas need to be reissued. A shame they're the only recordings in existence.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky