Eötvös on his Balcon

Started by uffeviking, March 08, 2008, 10:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uffeviking

What a production this Le Balcon performed at the Palais de l'Archevêché with the composer conducting and fantastic soloists providing the singing! Stanislas Nordey directed the action taking place in a bordello owned by Irma, and visited by an array of characters, like a Bishop, a Judge, a General, an Executioner and the Chief of Police. All are being serviced by Irma's employee Carmen, sung by Morenike Fadayomi, who also plays the role of The Woman servicing the Bishop. It sounds a bit confusing, yet is not really once I got the hang of it. There is also a pimp working for Irma, who is also her lover, but he gets disposed of early on when he gets hit by a stray bullet coming from a revolt going on outside of the bordello. - Told you it's a bit confusing! -

My main enjoyment came from listening to Eötvös's music and the incredibly expressive singing and acting by Hilary Summers, Irma, also called La Reine. My French is definitely on the weak side - the performance is in French - but the acting of the entire cast is enough to let me follow what is going on - sort of! Certain singers call this or that musician up to the stage to perform, all taken in stride as if it's the normal way to please the Musician's Union. The orchestra is a rather small chamber ensemble being called upon by Eötvös to sing, hum or whistle with the percussionist emerging as the star performer in the pit.

Le Balcon is based on a novel by the French bizarre writer Jean Genet. Eötvös wrote the opera consisting of ten scenes for the Aix-en-Provence Festival and the world premiere was in July of 2002. An opera film has also been made of the work which won the Golden Prague television festival prize in 2003.

The video recording of the performance is excellent because the cameras focus many times on Eötvös, showing his intense concentration on singers and musicians alike. I might have to watch it again to solve any remaining puzzles, but with Eötvös' music it will be pure pleasure.  :)

springrite

I do not have any Eotovos works, but I did order ATLANTAS, which will be delivered to me in early May. Does anyone know that work? What is it like?

uffeviking

Not aside at all! Thank you for the link.  :-*

Those actors: Shelley Winters, Leonard Nimoy, Peter Falk! And Robert Craft conducting Stravinsky's music! So it's a play, 1963 black and white, but I entertain serious thoughts about getting it! It's in English, which might help me to get along better with the French version of this DVD which I got mainly for the music of Eötvös! The fascinating connections revealing itself at a classical music forum!  8)

bhodges

Lis, thank you so much for this information.  Eötvös aside for a moment, I'm a fan of Hilary Summers, having heard her in Boulez's Le Marteau recently and last summer in George Benjamin's eerie Into the Little Hill.  She is striking, not only vocally but physically--she's quite tall (and towered over Boulez).

--Bruce

uffeviking

Hilary Summers is indeed outstanding physically as well as artistically. Comparing her against her fellow performers I would say she is at least 6', closer to 6'2", beautiful figure, lovely expressive face and her French sounds like that of a native, at least to my ears it does.

A friend told me the movie is disappointing; too late, I already ordered it. I think hearing and seeing Kraft conduct yet another Stravinsky might me worth the price for the DVD!  ;)