Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 31, 2024, 07:44:06 PM
Clever!  Happy April Fool's Day!  ;D

As an aside, I thought that whoever came up with today's Connections game (in the NYT) was trying to do a clever prank as I couldn't see three of the images!  Made trying to solve the game even trickier.  Perhaps it was just at my end as when I went to check out hints to solve it, I could see all of the images (Note:  they normally use words as the clues not pictures).

Pohjolas Daughter

brewski

Quote from: LKB on April 01, 2024, 12:03:47 AMCall me twisted, but I laughed... HARD.  >:D

Same.  ;D

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Karl Henning

To Be or to be
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

LKB

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 07, 2024, 01:50:16 PM

If I had come up with that, I'd probably feel smug about it for the rest of the year.  :laugh:

Pohjolas Daughter

Watching some of the pictures that they are showing of the ongoing eclipse (on t.v.), a picture of the sun made me think that it looks like someone had taken a bite out of a Nilla Wafer cookie.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

mahler10th

A friend called me last year and said "I've found some pictures you'll like!"  They were in a dingy workplace, being thrown out.  So he got me them on the spot for £25.00 which I immediately refunded to him.  He brought the pictures over.  These are original lithographic prints from around 1910 in what appears to be old frames.  Beethoven has no glass, I've still to sort that.  They were sold by an International boookseller in Glasgow around 1910 too.
But more interestingly, for folk in the USA, these pictures were once on display in Dumbarton Oaks in Washington, because there's an ownership imprint on them at the back.  The frames I don't think are original, but they're still old too.  The backpieces to all of these pictures are a real mess, wire hanging, rotted wood, etc - the frames are newer, but not by much.  Torggler was an artist famous back in the day for his portraits of composers, and to have original prints from over 100 years ago - well worth the £25!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: mahler10th on April 10, 2024, 01:17:04 AMA friend called me last year and said "I've found some pictures you'll like!"  They were in a dingy workplace, being thrown out.  So he got me them on the spot for £25.00 which I immediately refunded to him.  He brought the pictures over.  These are original lithographic prints from around 1910 in what appears to be old frames.  Beethoven has no glass, I've still to sort that.  They were sold by an International boookseller in Glasgow around 1910 too.
But more interestingly, for folk in the USA, these pictures were once on display in Dumbarton Oaks in Washington, because there's an ownership imprint on them at the back.  The frames I don't think are original, but they're still old too.  The backpieces to all of these pictures are a real mess, wire hanging, rotted wood, etc - the frames are newer, but not by much.  Torggler was an artist famous back in the day for his portraits of composers, and to have original prints from over 100 years ago - well worth the £25!
Cool!  8) You're a lucky man!  And what a great friend!  :) Lithographs are great.  I have a few of them myself--though not of composers.  Enjoy!

Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

Quote from: mahler10th on April 10, 2024, 01:17:04 AMA friend called me last year and said "I've found some pictures you'll like!"  They were in a dingy workplace, being thrown out.  So he got me them on the spot for £25.00 which I immediately refunded to him.  He brought the pictures over.  These are original lithographic prints from around 1910 in what appears to be old frames.  Beethoven has no glass, I've still to sort that.  They were sold by an International boookseller in Glasgow around 1910 too.
This is a bit off-topic, but the portrait of LvB reminds me of Maximilian Schell, who collaborated with Bernstein for a documentary series concerning the composer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernstein/Beethoven

Anyway, grats on your acquiring them.  8)

VonStupp

This is a score cover of some music I listened to earlier, and I found it rather eye catching.

I can't determine if this rendering of Theodore Roosevelt bears a positive or negative connotation (or something akin to humour or caricature).
VS

UncleTeddy.jpg
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on April 12, 2024, 03:37:47 PMThis is a score cover of some music I listened to earlier, and I found it rather eye catching.

I can't determine if this rendering of Theodore Roosevelt bears a positive or negative connotation (or something akin to humour or caricature).
VS

I found out a little bit of information about the work (see link below).  Apparently, the composer had initially called it "Uncle Tom".  No idea as to why he had renamed it to "Uncle Teddy" when it was published.  https://www.rundel.de/en/article/uncle_teddy/MVSR2323

PD
Pohjolas Daughter