What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

The Lumin T3 is up and running, the power supply is done by a better and more balanced device, the Nuc is 8th Gen Quad core intel, I 5 processor.
No Windows on it, its just a vehicle for Roon.
Audioquest CAT 5e Ethernet communication cable RJ45-G.
Audioquest XLR plugs "Water".
Every man who thinks he is something is nothing.
The man who is something is whoever thinks he is nothing.
Carmina Proverbialia 22.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 02, 2023, 07:28:08 AMCongratulations! I have followed with interest via eBay Alfred's musings. I recall that he is running out of Ortofon tonearms to work his magic. Get in before ship has sailed, you have, well done!
Are these particularly "vintage" tone arms or new ones that they're having a hard time getting all of the parts for Irons?

PD

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 03, 2023, 02:40:50 PMAre these particularly "vintage" tone arms or new ones that they're having a hard time getting all of the parts for Irons?

PD

Yes PD they are vintage. I believe it to be the actual arms he has difficulty in locating. More then a refurbishment. If I'm not mistaken he replaces the arm tube, converting a 9" to a 12" tonearm. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 04, 2023, 01:52:10 AMYes PD they are vintage. I believe it to be the actual arms he has difficulty in locating. More then a refurbishment. If I'm not mistaken he replaces the arm tube, converting a 9" to a 12" tonearm. 
Wow, that sounds like quite a big change that he is making to them!

PD

Harry

Also bought a Atoll Audio streamer ST 300 signature for my secondary system. Its Roon ready, and fits perfectly with the other Atoll components in this set.

TECHNICAL DATA

Power supply: 30 + 10 + 10 VA
Total of capacitors: 69 000 µF
Output stages: 4 discrete non-feedback stages.
Dynamic: 132 dB
Signal/Noise ratio: 132 dB
Output impedance: 5,6 Ω
Output level: 2,0 Vrms
Distortion at 1 kHz: 0,0004 %
Bandwidth: 5 Hz – 20 kHz
Rising time: 1,5 µs
Digital/analogue converter: 2×Burr-Brown 24 bits/192 kHz
Dimensions: 440×284×95 mm
Weight: 7 Kg

Every man who thinks he is something is nothing.
The man who is something is whoever thinks he is nothing.
Carmina Proverbialia 22.

Valentino

Alfred Bokrand sources vintage Ortofon AS-212 tonearms from (mainly) Telefunken S 500 and S 600 turntables. Those arms were OEM for Telefunken with a longer mast and more widely spaced horizontal bearings than the ordinary AS-212.
He replaces the horizontal and vertical bearings.
He makes a new arm tube, vertical bearing housing, end stub and counterweigts, and adds a new Ortofon/SME/JIS connector, internal Cardas cables and MDIN connector, a new tonearm lift (Jelco) with a copy of the beautiful original Ortofon lever.
He offers his tonearms as Straight (J-bend, AS-) or Banana (like those EMTs of yore, AB-), with P2S of 309 (12"), 230 (10") and 211 (9") mm. He's analogandmore4you on Ebay.

Open in a new window for true size.

Mine is an AS-230 ("Straight" 230 mm P2S). In the interim I'm using an SME-adapter from E-bay. I'll get a new arm board for Bokrand's own arm mount, which like the rest of his work also is a beautiful piece of craftmanship.
(That's the famous drunken coda of Solti's Rheingold It's the brand new remaster and it sounds magnificent.)
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes

Daverz

Quote from: Fëanor on February 02, 2023, 06:59:33 AMUsually purpose-built devices run a version of Linux.  For one thing it's free.

The Raspberry Pi is a popular streamer device and it uses Linux.  I had one up and running with my NAS upstream and feeding my Topping DAC;  it worked fine with Volumio but I preferred my Windows 10 mini-PC as a streamer.

I like to recommend the Raspberry Pi 4 for a streaming device, but they are as rare as hen's teeth these days.  They keep promising that production will return to previous levels, but so far the online shops still don't have them in stock.

drogulus

I ordered a DSD DAC/Amp for my PC, the FiiO JadeAudio KA3.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 Waterfox/56.6.2022.04