Bill Bailey and the saz

Started by Pohjolas Daughter, March 25, 2024, 09:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Not quite certain what to call this thread.  I just watched a wonderful clip from the Graham Norton show with a new-to-me (apparently, according to Wiki a combo of an actor/comedian/musician) person named Bill Bailey playing what he said was a Turkish instrument called the saz...what an incredible sound/instrument (related to the lute family).  In the end, he ended up playing part of "Candle in the Wind"--Bernie Taupin was on the show.

Any thoughts?  Do you know recordings with this instrument?  Or more about this person?

Here's the clip that I watched (and it's pretty short): 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

I've seen most of his stand-up specials and can recommend them wholeheartedly. One of those comedians who is drawing on a high level of learning and intelligence but wears it lightly. Haven't seen him play that instrument before, so cant help with that - though he does play a range of instruments in his acts:

One of my favorites:

You might also like the show Black Books which he costarred in with Dylan Moran and Tamsin Greig:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 25, 2024, 10:16:21 AMI've seen most of his stand-up specials and can recommend them wholeheartedly. One of those comedians who is drawing on a high level of learning and intelligence but wears it lightly. Haven't seen him play that instrument before, so cant help with that - though he does play a range of instruments in his acts:

One of my favorites:

You might also like the show Black Books which he costarred in with Dylan Moran and Tamsin Greig:

Thanks for making me laugh!  Very witty!

I am also curious to learn more about that instrument as I loved the sound of it--as in this posting wasn't meant to be strictly about the comedian, etc., though I will see if I can find more of him online or via library.

Thank you so much!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Yeah, I knew Bill Bailey first as a comedian and actor, but he incorporates lots of music into his stage show due to his prodigious skill and general curiosity about the varieties of creative field. The saz is like a smaller, lighter version of the oud, which my great-grandmother taught in Istanbul.

DavidW

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on March 25, 2024, 10:27:59 AMYeah, I knew Bill Bailey first as a comedian and actor, but he incorporates lots of music into his stage show due to his prodigious skill and general curiosity about the varieties of creative field. The saz is like a smaller, lighter version of the oud, which my great-grandmother taught in Istanbul.
8)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 25, 2024, 10:26:16 AMI am also curious to learn more about that instrument as I loved the sound of it

I'll be exploring that now as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ba%C4%9Flama

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Will check into Black Boots.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Bill Bailey was also a regular on the panel show QI on the BBC.

In 2020, aged 55, he also became the oldest celebrity contestant to win Strictly Come Dancing (Dancing with the stars, in the US I think ?). He was brilliant in that too.
Olivier

Luke

He's approaching National Treasure status in the UK as pretty much everyone likes him. Personally I don't know anyone who doesn't.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 25, 2024, 10:50:49 AMThank you for that video.   :) I enjoyed it.

PD

The Wikipedia link I put below it, not connected to the video, also has a list of Notable Performers.

SimonNZ

I've been looking at various things on YT for the last hour or so and came across this excellent concert led by saz player and singer Petra Nachtmanova:

Looking further into her I see she's made a documentary on travelling and playing around Europe with the instrument called "Saz: The Key Of Trust" (you'll have to turn the closed caption on):

Pohjolas Daughter

I had fun checking out some clips of Bill Bailey last night; a very talented guy!

Will have to see whether or not my library (or extended network) has Black Boots too.
Pohjolas Daughter