Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

This will be live shortly:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

LKB

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 05, 2024, 01:27:39 PMThis will be live shortly:

I think it's fair to say that Cassie is now on board with the TNG crew.  8)

LKB

Cassie and Carly survived Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

https://youtu.be/IIHB0v2_cTk?si=-s5XxXqcHWf7zJZl

KevinP

So a Planet of the Apes ('68) reaction showed up in my timeline, and I watched it, and of course I then got a slew of other reactions, and in time, I watched them all.

As a child, these were my favourite movies. I was that exact age. But it was only when I watched them again as an adult that I reappraised them. Only the first one stood up. I mean, it had a story to tell and told it. The other movies were 'further adventures of' types of stories. They began with, 'We have these established characters; what stories can we put them in that will generate more income?' (I still find Escape to be fun, and Conquest is much better than I had previously though, especially with the restored ending.)

Regarding the original, obviously, the reactions hinge on how they react to the ending, with the best ones being completely shocked by it. But those are relatively rare. Most reactors have seen the more recent ones and aren't completely mislead. Some are 'I've never seen this movie, but I already know the twist.' A few theorise about it halfway through the movie.

But watching these videos has made the movie somewhat fresh again for me.

It begins with four astronauts, but it's really the story of one of them. Having watched it so many times over the decades, I saw the deaths (etc) of the other three as just plot points to get Taylor alone. Watching the reactors respond to the reveals of the fates of Stuart, Landon and Dodge (and Dodge's post-death fate) makes me appreciate them more, to be stranded on an 'alien' planet and your crew picked off one by one until you're ultimately all alone.

Some other moments:
Landon planting the American flag and Taylor's very strange reaction to it. In fact, some of the younger ones don't get the flag planting thing and some thought it was a memorial to Stuart.

Reactors are divided on Taylor's attitude early in the movie. He is a total jerk, which some don't like but others love it as a matter of characterisation.

When they find the first plant, many reactors comment on them digging it up and killing it.

The reveal of the Apes is quite good. We see the horses first ('Oh, they have horses!') and then the rifles ('They have guns??'), and only then do we see them.

When Taylor is shot in the throat ('neck' they always say), they often think he has died.

Not sure if I was ever cognizant of this or not, but no ape speaks during that lengthy hunt scene, and it's only after that first-time viewers would know they speak. And the first word he hear an ape say is 'Smile!'

That's the camera scene, which resonates well with today's viewers: the hunters being photographed with their dead prey. Very Instagram-y.

That scene is pretty horrific, with dead humans hung upside-down. I've really come to appreciate this as a horror movie.

Predictably, the response tends to be good to 'Take your stinkin' paws off me you damn dirty ape!' Though sometimes the reaction is 'Oh, so that's where that comes from!'

And back to the final scene. We know it's a shock ending, but they don't. What I mean is, even when they get the shock, they still don't realilse it's the ending. It's only when the credits start rolling that they realise that was the final scene. When most of us watch it, we know it's about to end. So it's really cool to see this from that perspective.

So one thing that's never commented on is the character of Lucius, Dr Zira's nephew. The fact that he represented the hippy culture of the day is just completely lost of today's viewer.

Some more laughable moments: One reaction to Landon's 'Going...going...gone' is 'Is this where that came from?' Similarly, another viewer wondered if the 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' scene originated in this movie.

DavidW

I don't know if any of this counts, but here is a detailed critique of Foundation that I enjoyed:
btw he finishes with the best adaptation of Asimov by a landslide... as... The End of Eternity as a Russian tv miniseries.  You'll find that at the end of the video.

And I also watched Lost in Adaptation on all Dune movies and the miniseries...
Original Dune:
Dune TV miniseries:
Dune Part 1:
Dune Part 2:

LKB

Karl Henning

Our man wrily watches Psycho for Mothers Day

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 13, 2024, 04:58:30 PMOur man wrily watches Psycho for Mothers Day

The old Bates and switch...

Karl Henning

Cassie watched Smokey and the Bandit. Yes, I saw it in the movie house back when, but don't need to see it ever again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 16, 2024, 05:34:55 AMCassie watched Smokey and the Bandit. Yes, I saw it in the movie house back when, but don't need to see it ever again.

I hear you and wouldn't disagree. Otoh, Burt Reynolds in his prime just might make her forget about that Cruise guy, and progress is progress.  ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on May 16, 2024, 06:09:19 AMI hear you and wouldn't disagree. Otoh, Burt Reynolds in his prime just might make her forget about that Cruise guy, and progress is progress.  ;)
And, good for Sally Field for the opportunity to shed her Flying Nun type-casting. She's also in one of my favorite Night Gallery episodes, "Whisper," which has a subtle Poe vibe. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA