Twilight Zone Season 5 Rod Serling scripts

Started by Karl Henning, March 13, 2024, 06:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one from among these is your favorite?

"In Praise of Pip"
1 (25%)
"Uncle Simon"
0 (0%)
"A Kind of Stopwatch"
1 (25%)
"The 7th Is Made up of Phantoms"
0 (0%)
"The Old Man in the Cave"
0 (0%)
"A Short Drink From a Certain Fountain"
0 (0%)
"The Masks"
1 (25%)
"The Last Night of a Jockey "
0 (0%)
"Sounds and Silences"
0 (0%)
"The Fear"
0 (0%)
"The Brain Center at Whipple's"
0 (0%)
"The Long Morrow"
0 (0%)
"I Am the Night​—Color Me Black"
0 (0%)
"Probe 7​—Over and Out"
1 (25%)
"The Jeopardy Room"
0 (0%)
"Mr Garrity and the Graves"
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closes: May 12, 2024, 06:50:51 AM

Karl Henning

I've not voted yet. Not easy, I don't think: there are a number of shows which might rank in the series' Top Ten overall.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 13, 2024, 06:50:51 AMa number of shows which might rank in the series' Top Ten overall.
Top 25, certainly. I'm going to watch some more before weighing in on my selection. As I leafed through that chapter of the Zicree book to harvest these titles, I was tickled/relieved to confirm that the episodes I recalled as being the very weakest were none of Serling's writing. That said, there are certainly some scripts here which are not the author's best. Which of these do I hold in least regard? Probably "Uncle Simon." I nearly said a toss-up between that and "The Brain Center at Whipple's," but then I reflected that some elements in the latter feel almost like a study for the later "They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar" on Night Gallery.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ando

Yeah, I'd have to watch a few more before making mine as well, Karl. But thanks for reminding me to take advantage of my ad-riddled Paramount+ "premium" sub.  8)

Cato

Quote from: ando on March 13, 2024, 02:18:07 PMYeah, I'd have to watch a few more before making mine as well, Karl. But thanks for reminding me to take advantage of my ad-riddled Paramount+ "premium" sub.  8)

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 13, 2024, 01:11:17 PMTop 25, certainly. I'm going to watch some more before weighing in on my selection. As I leafed through that chapter of the Zicree book to harvest these titles, I was tickled/relieved to confirm that the episodes I recalled as being the very weakest were none of Serling's writing. That said, there are certainly some scripts here which are not the author's best. Which of these do I hold in least regard? Probably "Uncle Simon." I nearly said a toss-up between that and "The Brain Center at Whipple's," but then I reflected that some elements in the latter feel almost like a study for the later "They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar" on Night Gallery.

All from Season 5!

I remember Season 1 the best.

I will also need to review some of these.  ;)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

LKB

Voted, and thanks Karl. A very attractive poll.  ;)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Cato

I chose Probe 7, although it was difficult to choose!

Richard Basehart's portrayal of the marooned astronaut was a big factor, along with the melancholy aspect that, even if he had received the transmission from Earth,  what would he return to anyway?

The story seemed to be a variation on the episode from Season 1 (The Lonely) with Jack Warden and Jean Marsh, where a man imprisoned (unjustly?) on an asteroid is given a female robot for companionship.

That episode is - I think - better than this variation, although Probe 7 is more hopeful.

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on March 13, 2024, 04:23:29 PMVoted, and thanks Karl. A very attractive poll.  ;)

Quote from: Cato on March 14, 2024, 06:24:35 AMI chose Probe 7, although it was difficult to choose!

Richard Basehart's portrayal of the marooned astronaut was a big factor, along with the melancholy aspect that, even if he had received the transmission from Earth,  what would he return to anyway?

The story seemed to be a variation on the episode from Season 1 (The Lonely) with Jack Warden and Jean Marsh, where a man imprisoned (unjustly?) on an asteroid is given a female robot for companionship.

That episode is - I think - better than this variation, although Probe 7 is more hopeful.

Thanks for taking part, gents! I nearly voted (as @LKB has) for "In Praise of Pip," because (a) it certainly is excellent and (b) it is the episode I had just watched and which inspired the notion of the poll. I forbore simply because I did want to review some more episodes before casting my ballot. That's not to say that I don't already have a short list going into this, but I'm working to keep my powder dry.
Nice observations on "Probe 7," @Cato 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 14, 2024, 07:35:05 AMThanks for taking part, gents! I nearly voted (as @LKB has) for "In Praise of Pip," because (a) it certainly is excellent and (b) it is the episode I had just watched and which inspired the notion of the poll. I forbore simply because I did want to review some more episodes before casting my ballot. That's not to say that I don't already have a short list going into this, but I'm working to keep my powder dry.

Nice observations on "Probe 7," @Cato

Yes, that was one of my top choices also!

Concerning the Season I Episode, The Lonely, I should have mentioned that it has an ancestor in E.T.A. Hoffmann's highly disturbing story The Sandman.

Mandryka

We had this in the UK but I missed it -- all of them, not just season 5. I just watched In Praise of Pip. Tremendous -- they don't make 'em like that no more.

I love the hall of mirrors (Twin Peaks style); and the diegesis, the narrator voice in the film.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

T. D.

Nice poll. I'm not voting because I don't recall some of the named episodes and don't have time to track them down. Pip is the one on the ballot I recall most vividly, excellent choice.

Interesting that two of the all-time most famous TZ episodes were in Season 5 but not on the ballot:
1) An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, which I would have shortlisted (when I was in middle school, the episode was even specially screened in a class);
2) Nightmare at 20,000 Feet with William Shatner on the plane and the weird animal on the wing, which I do not think deserved consideration.

I rather liked the final Season 5 episode about the swimming pool, The Bewitchin' Pool. Would probably have voted for it.

[Added] Voted for Stopwatch. Will also put in a word for the unlisted Number 12 Looks Just Like You.

Karl Henning

Quote from: T. D. on March 15, 2024, 04:33:29 AMInteresting that two of the all-time most famous TZ episodes were in Season 5 but not on the ballot
I restricted the poll to Serling scripts. Nightmare is one of a number of brilliant Richard Matheson scripts! And Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge is sui generis, a French film of which Serling paid for the rights, an Ambrose Bierce story which fits Twilight Zone like a glove.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

T. D.

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 15, 2024, 11:05:36 AMI restricted the poll to Serling scripts. Nightmare is one of a number of brilliant Richard Matheson scripts! And Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge is sui generis, a French film of which Serling paid for the rights, an Ambrose Bierce story which fits Twilight Zone like a glove.

Thanks! I arrived late and missed the background.

Occurrence... is indeed sui generis! By far the most cinematically impressive thing ever on the TZ (IMO).

Mandryka

Owl is quite a thing. I thought the way they used music was magic. And the way the voices of the soldiers slowed down, after the hanging - like the dwarf in Twin Peaks!

But sorry @Karl Henning - this is off topic I guess.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mandryka on March 16, 2024, 07:21:48 AMOwl is quite a thing. I thought the way they used music was magic. And the way the voices of the soldiers slowed down, after the hanging - like the dwarf in Twin Peaks!

But sorry @Karl Henning - this is off topic I guess.
No, that folds in fine.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mandryka

Quote from: T. D. on March 15, 2024, 04:33:29 AM2) Nightmare at 20,000 Feet with William Shatner on the plane and the weird animal on the wing, which I do not think deserved consideration.

No. It's just funny in a bad way. The monster's wearing a onesie and looks kind of cuddly. And the way Shatner's wife look at him when he tells her there's someone on the wing is hilarious.

Quote from: T. D. on March 15, 2024, 04:33:29 AM[Added] Voted for Stopwatch.

I hope Patrick McNulty never starts to post on this forum. On second thoughts . . . maybe he has.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mandryka on March 17, 2024, 03:46:29 AMNo. It's jut funny in a bad way. The monster's wearing a onesie and looks kind of cuddly. And the way Shatner's wife look at him when he tells her there's someone on the wing is hilarious.

I hope Patrick McNulty never starts to post on this forum. On second thoughts . . . maybe he has.
You think about that!

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mandryka

Karl Henning

Quote from: T. D. on March 15, 2024, 04:33:29 AMI rather liked the final Season 5 episode about the swimming pool, The Bewitchin' Pool. Would probably have voted for it.
Sort of a sombre twin to Peter Pan
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

T. D.

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 18, 2024, 11:51:45 AMSort of a sombre twin to Peter Pan

I have to admit that although I've watched many TZ reruns, my most vivid and magical memories are from "live" childhood viewings of the original broadcasts.

I noticed that The Bewitchin' Pool rates very poorly on imdb, and some Youtube pundits rank it among the worst Twilight Zone episodes. So it's possible that my high ranking is an outlier and would not hold up if I viewed the episode today.  :blank: But I thought it was the greatest back in 1964 and won't surrender the memory I still treasure...which might speak to the nature of my childhood.  ;D