The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 17, 2019, 09:52:31 AM
I guess the question now is what form the reconstruction will take. The spire was a 19th century replacement for the original, which had fallen more than a hundred years before. It seems that replicating a 19th century addition would be a peculiar thing to do. They might try to re-imagine the original spire, or they might replace it with something representing a 21st century aesthetic. That might be more in line with the spirit of the Cathedrals, which were constantly being repaired and added to with new architectural elements during their long lifetimes. And the roof. A wood and lead replica, or maybe a Plexiglas affair like the pyramid they built at the Louvre.  :)

I suspect the ceiling vaults will be a major issue. Several vaults fell, but probably others (maybe all of them) are structurally compromised and in danger of collapsing. Maybe they all will require major repair or replacement.

Makes me think of the World Trade Center. They decided to make the original site a memorial and build a big building next to it. That would not be my choice. I would have rebuilt it the original World Trade Center exactly as it was, as if it never happened. The top floor might have been a prison block for Al Qaeda, where they would have to daily look down on a thriving New York City. :)
I would be surprised if they went with something like plexiglass roof, instead of making a replica of the old one. Lead is banned by EU directives.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: North Star on April 17, 2019, 11:14:13 AM
I would be surprised if they went with something like plexiglass roof, instead of making a replica of the old one. Lead is banned by EU directives.

I was being facetious about the Plexiglas roof, although the French are the French, and are the sort of people who might give themselves the right to do such a thing. I'd like it.

North Star

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 17, 2019, 11:23:01 AM
I was being facetious about the Plexiglas roof, although the French are the French, and are the sort of people who might give themselves the right to do such a thing. I'd like it.
It would certainly help with keeping carbon emissions down if they didn't need any candles there.  :laugh:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

greg

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 17, 2019, 09:52:31 AM
The top floor might have been a prison block for Al Qaeda, where they would have to daily look down on a thriving New York City. :)
Oh, and they can spend their time hanging upside down over a clear plastic floor and have a fan blowing so that it feels like they are falling all day long.  :P
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Florestan

Hundreds of Christians slaughtered in Sri Lanka church bombings. As unimportant as it gets, it seems...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/21/world/asia/sri-lanka-explosion.html
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

amw

I don't usually pray but I've been doing that today. Coming so soon after another mass slaughter at a place of worship here in NZ, it's horrible this keeps happening to people who dare to do nothing but practice and celebrate a faith the majority doesn't share. Carrying out an act like this is the ultimate chillul haShem and the amount of hatred someone has to be filled with to disregard that is mind-boggling.

Anyway blessings to the martyrs & their families and I hope more than anything this doesn't get used to reignite the incredibly awful 25+ year sectarian war that ended less than a decade ago and has killed hundreds of thousands.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on April 21, 2019, 07:51:29 AM
Hundreds of Christians slaughtered in Sri Lanka church bombings. As unimportant as it gets, it seems...

What's that supposed to mean?

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Ken B on April 23, 2019, 07:40:14 AM
Indeed. Odd.  Here it is plain text

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2019/04/22/maajid-nawaz-sees-a-change-in-world-leaders-tweets-about-the-christchurch-and-sri-lanka-terrorist-attacks/

I got bored half-way through that link. I'm supposed to think that referring to the Sri Lanka victims as "Easter Worshipers" rather than "Christians" is a ploy to avoid accusing Islamic terrorists? Nonsense. It was Easter, if it had been a generic Sunday service it would have been more natural to say "Christians." Equivalent outrage and sympathy was expressed for the Sri Lanka and Christchurch attacks.

What is more fatiguing to me is when people have to get our their outrage-meters and make some sort of a sectarian accusation that people are not getting appropriately outraged about one incident vs another.

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 23, 2019, 07:50:53 AM
I got bored half-way through that link. I'm supposed to think that referring to the Sri Lanka victims as "Easter Worshipers" rather than "Christians" is a ploy to avoid accusing Islamic terrorists? Nonsense. It was Easter, if it had been a generic Sunday service it would have been more natural to say "Christians." Equivalent outrage and sympathy was expressed for the Sri Lanka and Christchurch attacks.

What is more fatiguing to me is when people have to get our their outrage-meters and make some sort of a sectarian accusation that people are not getting appropriately outraged about one incident vs another.
Actually the argument is that it's a ploy to avoid calling them Christians. Boredom is not a rebuttal, but trust me I understand being bored with people who cannot be bothered to frame an actual argument. *yawn*

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Ken B on April 23, 2019, 08:04:39 AM
Actually the argument is that it's a ploy to avoid calling them Christians. Boredom is not a rebuttal, but trust me I understand being bored with people who cannot be bothered to frame an actual argument. *yawn*

Yes, I got that, I did not find the rhetorical distinctions that the claim was based on to be significant.

amw

I mean there's several levels here:
- 310 people being killed for their religious beliefs in a third world country is less of a news item than an old cathedral burning down with no casualties in a first world country, because too many people only care about what's happening in their own back yards. (There was another ethnically & religiously motivated attack last month in Mali that killed 160 which also went mostly unnoticed in media.)
- Politicians don't want to name the victims as Christians, possibly out of fear that this will encourage more "alt-right" people to carry out retaliatory attacks like the one in New Zealand. (But this reasoning doesn't make much sense either given that the most right-wing American Christians tend to be virulently anti-Catholic, and just ends up downplaying the religious motivations of the murderers.)
- The alleged culprits are from an organisation that—like all other wahhabi-influenced Sunni Muslim paramilitary organisations—most likely receives funding from a US & European ally, Saudi Arabia, which US & European leaders don't want to alienate, so very little action can be expected in response.

I interpreted a lot of the frustration as stemming from the first point, because the tone-deaf American responses had not yet happened at the time & there was also not yet any claim of responsibility or knowledge of the perpetrators.

Ken B

Amw makes some good points, but I think the Mali example rather boosts Florestan's underlying complaint about double standards.

Personally I think it a good thing on balance that elected leaders stand up and lie about religions and call them peaceful, but it's important that we don't believe actually believe them.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: amw on April 23, 2019, 08:56:05 AM
I mean there's several levels here:
- 310 people being killed for their religious beliefs in a third world country is less of a news item than an old cathedral burning down with no casualties in a first world country, because too many people only care about what's happening in their own back yards. (There was another ethnically & religiously motivated attack last month in Mali that killed 160 which also went mostly unnoticed in media.)
- Politicians don't want to name the victims as Christians, possibly out of fear that this will encourage more "alt-right" people to carry out retaliatory attacks like the one in New Zealand. (But this reasoning doesn't make much sense either given that the most right-wing American Christians tend to be virulently anti-Catholic, and just ends up downplaying the religious motivations of the murderers.)
- The alleged culprits are from an organisation that—like all other wahhabi-influenced Sunni Muslim paramilitary organisations—most likely receives funding from a US & European ally, Saudi Arabia, which US & European leaders don't want to alienate, so very little action can be expected in response.

I interpreted a lot of the frustration as stemming from the first point, because the tone-deaf American responses had not yet happened at the time & there was also not yet any claim of responsibility or knowledge of the perpetrators.

About 300,000 people die every day on earth. It is the nature of terrorism to cause a relatively tiny number of people to die in spectacular manner and command attention.

I don't find it inappropriate that the destruction of a thousand year old structure that represents the pinnacle of achievement of a culture would attract as much attention as the number of deaths on one day being increased by 0.1%. The significance of the terrorist attack is not the loss of life, but the potential for civilization instability.

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 23, 2019, 09:10:36 AM
About 300,000 people die every day on earth. It is the nature of terrorism to cause a relatively tiny number of people to die in spectacular manner and command attention.

I don't find it inappropriate that the destruction of a thousand year old structure that represents the pinnacle of achievement of a culture would attract as much attention as the number of deaths on one day being increased by 0.1%. The significance of the terrorist attack is not the loss of life, but the potential for civilization instability.
We agree this time, especially the last sentence.

Ken B

The push to rehire Jussie Smollett. https://deadline.com/2019/04/empire-cast-crew-letter-jussie-smolett-return-fox-disney-1202601208/

The point is not that he is innocent, the point is that it's ok anyway. Privileges are established by asserting them.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Ken B on April 24, 2019, 12:12:52 PM
The push to rehire Jussie Smollett. https://deadline.com/2019/04/empire-cast-crew-letter-jussie-smolett-return-fox-disney-1202601208/

The point is not that he is innocent, the point is that it's ok anyway. Privileges are established by asserting them.

I'll keep my outrage powder dry in the event he actually gets rehired. You'll have to keep me up to date, I don't even know what show he was on.

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 24, 2019, 01:55:24 PM
I'll keep my outrage powder dry in the event he actually gets rehired. You'll have to keep me up to date, I don't even know what show he was on.
Some people confuse sardonic observation with outrage. But your position is that it's only an outrage when the bigwigs at Fox bless him?