The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

So..."Make Canada Great Again" is code for "keep Canada white"?

Ken B

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 01, 2019, 08:20:55 PM
So..."Make Canada Great Again" is code for "keep Canada white"?

https://www.salimmansur.ca/

He look white to you?

UPDATE. I have decided your comment is both ignorant and bigoted. This after your quasi apologia of thuggery on my streets. So I am putting you on my ignore list.

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on October 01, 2019, 07:56:58 PM
I read the PPC platform earlier tonight.  To me it sounds like a straight adaptation into Canadian of Trump's program.

Not quite. Trump's program is "Trump can fix it". I don't think the PPL leader is quite that megalomaniacal.

I assume you mean mostly immigration policy. Canada already has a much more restrictive and selective immigration policy than the US. It is based on points. It's actually more like Trump is adopting Canadian policy ...

JBS

Quote from: Ken B on October 01, 2019, 08:29:25 PM

He look white to you?

His party thinks there are too many people like him in Canada.

Quote from: Ken B on October 01, 2019, 08:33:45 PM
Not quite. Trump's program is "Trump can fix it". I don't think the PPL leader is quite that megalomaniacal.

I assume you mean mostly immigration policy. Canada already has a much more restrictive and selective immigration policy than the US. It is based on points. It's actually more like Trump is adopting Canadian policy ...

The PPC seems to think it's not restrictive and selective enough.

The website says that  where no policy position is given, it can be assumed the party position is whatever position Maxime held during his time with the Conservatives. Not megalomania, but the Maxime-centric attitude does emulate the GOP with Trump.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on October 01, 2019, 08:40:01 PM
His party thinks there are too many people like him in Canada.

The PPC seems to think it's not restrictive and selective enough.

The website says that  where no policy position is given, it can be assumed the party position is whatever position Maxime held during his time with the Conservatives. Not megalomania, but the Maxime-centric attitude does emulate the GOP with Trump.

Sigh.
First Mansur is a smart man. I think him a better judge of his own party than you. It's insulting to tell him you know better, Pujo.

As for the other point. So far the party has one member, him.

As far as I can tell the focus of his revolt was official multiculturalism. There are for example courts in Canada using sharia under the policy. That is why Mansur has attracted seculsr Muslim support.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Ken B on October 01, 2019, 08:29:25 PM

He look white to you?

UPDATE. I have decided your comment is both ignorant and bigoted. This after your quasi apologia of thuggery on my streets. So I am putting you on my ignore list.

I think that's an extreme and unnecessary reaction. I thought we were disagreeing respectfully and without raised voices, and I was pleased our differing politics didn't stop more agreeable exchanges elsewhere.

I am ignorant of most of Canadian politics, am more than happy - indeed hope - to be set straight, and will give a heartfelt mea culpa if I'm way off base.But MAGA caps and appeals to Trumpism raise my suspicions.

I was offering no apology for Antifa, was speculating of the type of organisation they could have been but for some reason are not. I think their danger is largely a right-wing media construction, that's my opinion you're welcome to disagree with, but again thats not an apology for any wrongdoing they may be involved in.

pjme

???..... Is this still ....The unimportant news thread....?

so:

https://www.youtube.com/v/bmjNIq49398

drogulus

Earth to be reduced to burned out cinder

Sanders: "Charred remnants of the wealthy will pay higher taxes"

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

JBS

Quote from: Ken B on October 01, 2019, 09:00:04 PM
Sigh.
First Mansur is a smart man. I think him a better judge of his own party than you. It's insulting to tell him you know better, Pujo.

As for the other point. So far the party has one member, him.

As far as I can tell the focus of his revolt was official multiculturalism. There are for example courts in Canada using sharia under the policy. That is why Mansur has attracted seculsr Muslim support.

I was stating the PPC's policy proposals. They want an immigration system that is more restrictive than it is now.  They also want to discourage Muslims from living in Canada.  I was stating facts, not judging the party or Mr. Mansur.  If he thinks there are too many Muslims in Canada, and too many immigrants in general, then it's perfectly logical for him to be a PPC member.

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on October 02, 2019, 06:09:06 PM
I was stating the PPC's policy proposals. They want an immigration system that is more restrictive than it is now.  They also want to discourage Muslims from living in Canada.  I was stating facts, not judging the party or Mr. Mansur.  If he thinks there are too many Muslims in Canada, and too many immigrants in general, then it's perfectly logical for him to be a PPC member.
Actually while they want to reduce refugees in total one of the few groups they call out for giving a higher priority are persecuted Muslims, especially gay ones.

https://www.peoplespartyofcanada.ca/refugees_ending_open_borders_policies_and_prioritizing_persecuted_groups

You are not stating facts. You are stating opinion and conjecture as if it were fact. And you should know the difference.

Everyone who disagrees with your politics is racist?

Ken B

How will I vote? For the candidate most likely to defeat the incumbent Liberal member. She is a cabinet minister (and was opposed to abortion rights, though she agreed to support the party pro choice position; she has no stated position on blackface).  It seems that is the Conservative candidate, accordingly to the results of the 2015 election, but I will vote for the NDP candidate if he appears to be closer in the polls. There is a PPC and a Green and a Rhino as well. The Animal party has no candidate.

JBS

Quote from: Ken B on October 02, 2019, 06:25:36 PM
Actually while they want to reduce refugees in total one of the few groups they call out for giving a higher priority are persecuted Muslims, especially gay ones.

https://www.peoplespartyofcanada.ca/refugees_ending_open_borders_policies_and_prioritizing_persecuted_groups

You are not stating facts. You are stating opinion and conjecture as if it were fact. And you should know the difference.

Everyone who disagrees with your politics is racist?

Actually, they want to accept people who are persecuted by Muslims. Western oriented Muslims happening  to be one of them.
I was summarizing the PPC platform. The more I read it, the more it sounds to me like a Trump staffer wrote it.  It certainly calls for a restrictive immigration system, and implies that there are too many Muslim immigrants, so I think it's fair to say I was stating facts.

drogulus

Platform says:

The Liberal government is deliberately attempting to erase our borders. Over the past three years, it has done nothing to stop the flow of tens of thousands of asylum seekers illegally crossing our borders. Accepting all these refugees will cost Canadian taxpayers billions of dollars.

Moreover, in 2018, Canada welcomed more resettled refugees than any other Western country; more than the United States, a country with ten times our population, and as many as all of the European Union.

Apparently some Canadians feel like some Americans do, that more people costs more money on a net per capita basis. You can "run out of dollars" there, too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on October 02, 2019, 07:02:59 PM
Actually, they want to accept people who are persecuted by Muslims. Western oriented Muslims happening  to be one of them.
I was summarizing the PPC platform. The more I read it, the more it sounds to me like a Trump staffer wrote it.  It certainly calls for a restrictive immigration system, and implies that there are too many Muslim immigrants, so I think it's fair to say I was stating facts.

No. For just one egregious You implied Mansur thinks there are too many Muslims living in Canada. But just because I want to buy less Beethoven this year does not mean I think I have to much Beethoven or want to expel any.

Let me play the game. I will "simply state a fact". You single out one candidate to question his intelligence and his motives and *surprise* he has dark skin.

(NB I do not really think you are being bigoted against dark skin, I am illustrating why your claim is a crock)

JBS

Quote from: Ken B on October 03, 2019, 05:44:53 AM
No. For just one egregious You implied Mansur thinks there are too many Muslims living in Canada. But just because I want to buy less Beethoven this year does not mean I think I have to much Beethoven or want to expel any.

Let me play the game. I will "simply state a fact". You single out one candidate to question his intelligence and his motives and *surprise* he has dark skin.

(NB I do not really think you are being bigoted against dark skin, I am illustrating why your claim is a crock)

Mr Mansur is a candidate for a party whose platform is explicitly anti-immigrant and implicitly anti-Moslem.  One usually expects a candidate  to agree with the public positions of his party. Hence it is fair and logical to think that Mr Mansur is anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim.  It is fair and logical to think that every PPC candidate is anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim, unless they have explicitly disassociated themselves from that part of the PPC platform. 

You after all offered Mr. Mansur as an example of a Muslim who supports PPC.  But being a Muslim does not mean a person does not think there are too many of his fellow Muslims in Canada.

Todd

Purely local, but a lesson in what happens when Democrats rule in a single party state:

Real ID: What's the hold-up in Oregon?

If you want to fly in 2020, get a passport now and avoid DMV lines during Real ID rollout, state says

I mean, state leaders have only known about the coming changes for fourteen years.  Of course, Oregon, led by Dems and nothing but Dems, rolled out a multi-hundred-million dollar website for Obamacare that was able to enroll zero (0) people, and spent tens of millions of dollars planning a bridge, only to see the plans nixed by the Coast Guard and Army Corp of Engineers because the Democrat Big Brains forgot to consult those two entities to get their requirements.  At least we have choo-choos that have less than 50% the originally forecast utilization rates.

My tax dollars hard at work.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Todd on October 05, 2019, 09:00:50 AM
Purely local, but a lesson in what happens when Democrats rule in a single party state:

Real ID: What's the hold-up in Oregon?

If you want to fly in 2020, get a passport now and avoid DMV lines during Real ID rollout, state says

I mean, state leaders have only known about the coming changes for fourteen years.  Of course, Oregon, led by Dems and nothing but Dems, rolled out a multi-hundred-million dollar website for Obamacare that was able to enroll zero (0) people, and spent tens of millions of dollars planning a bridge, only to see the plans nixed by the Coast Guard and Army Corp of Engineers because the Democrat Big Brains forgot to consult those two entities to get their requirements.  At least we have choo-choos that have less than 50% the originally forecast utilization rates.

My tax dollars hard at work.

I live in a state whose government is completely dominated by the GOP. The DMV lines have been a thing to avoid whenever possible for years, even without Real ID deadlines.  I renewed my passport while Democrats were in control of the Department of State, and it was a breeze.

Todd

Quote from: JBS on October 05, 2019, 06:45:14 PMThe DMV lines have been a thing to avoid whenever possible for years, even without Real ID deadlines.

That's true everywhere, all the time.  But because of the special incompetence and stupidity of Dems, in Oregon, people will have less than three months to get a Real ID if they want to fly.  Again, Democrat leaders in the state have known about the requirement for fourteen years.

Todd

So, Netflix has dropped a documentary series about the lives of illegal immigrants.  Apparently, if review summaries are to be believed, it's empathetic, etc.  It also demonstrates a willful disregard for the law.  The producers had every chance to turn in illegal immigrants, people who are knowingly violating the laws of the United States, but instead, said producers opted to aid and abet criminality.  Shameful.

SimonNZ

That's not how reporting works, Einstein. And without breaking a sweat I'm sure I could link to dozens of investigative pieces about the lives of undocumented immigrants...that didn't, it hardly needs adding, end with them being turned in. And I hope you're enjoying that avocado while you type that hate,

and now here's some actual unimportant news:

Helena Bonham Carter sought Princess Margaret's blessing through psychic

"Some actors avoid excessive research, but for Helena Bonham Carter to play Princess Margaret in The Crown meant reading all the biographies, talking to friends, ladies-in-waiting and relatives, and consulting an astrologer, a graphologist and a psychic.

The last meeting meant she could talk to the princess herself, the actor told Cheltenham literature festival.

"She said, apparently, she was glad it was me. My main thing when you play someone who is real, you kind of want their blessing because you have a responsibility.

"So I asked her: 'Are you OK with me playing you?' and she said: 'You're better than the other actress' ... that they were thinking of. They will not admit who it was. It was me and somebody else.

"That made me think maybe she is here, because that is a classic Margaret thing to say. She was really good at complimenting you and putting you down at the same time.

"Then she said: 'But you're going to have to brush up and be more groomed and neater.' Then she said: 'Get the smoking right. I smoked in a very particular way. Remember that – this is a big note – the cigarette holder was as much a weapon for expression as it was for smoking.'"