The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 06, 2019, 07:32:35 AMThat's not how reporting works, Einstein.

Einstein: Powerful.  Avacado: Even more so. 

It's good to know that a bona fide GMG Big Brain hath decreed that Netflix and Selena Gomez are now part of the journalistic establishment.  That means it is so. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SimonNZ

Christ I hate people who can't hold their drink.

Todd

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 06, 2019, 07:47:57 AM
Christ I hate people who can't hold their drink.

Ah, yes, the whole drinking thing.  You've resorted to that before.  Typically, I'd attribute that to intellectual laziness, but I know in your case it's as good as you can do.

SimonNZ

Its that or you post like a drunk when you're sober. My version is the more charitable,

greg

Quote from: Todd on October 06, 2019, 06:20:27 AM

So, Netflix has dropped a documentary series about the lives of illegal immigrants.  Apparently, if review summaries are to be believed, it's empathetic, etc.  It also demonstrates a willful disregard for the law.  The producers had every chance to turn in illegal immigrants, people who are knowingly violating the laws of the United States, but instead, said producers opted to aid and abet criminality.  Shameful.
Maybe the sequel can be people overstaying their trips to other countries? Maybe next time I visit Japan I'll just stay there longer than legally acceptable.

And the producers will be empathetic about how I want a longer vacation, and how I'm bored of the US from living here over 30 years. And call the people in Japan who object to the documentary racists.

That'll all work fine.  :)
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Todd

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 06, 2019, 07:56:37 AM
Its that or you post like a drunk when you're sober. My version is the more charitable,

I have to say, judging by the obviously emotional, knee-jerk response and attendant shit punctuation, it is you who are drinking.  (I'm guessing you also don't know about international time zones.) 

I also have to say that your virtue signaling is one of the funniest things I encounter on the web.

greg

Simon... since you seem to be very liberal-leaning, do you buy into the idea that the US should not have closed borders? Since that idea seems to have spread a lot recently.

The justification is that it is stolen land, therefore at this point it should be open for everyone.

If you don't believe that, ignore the following. If you do...

So New Zealand is in the same situation, being stolen land and all. So that means that, since I'm visiting in a few months, I should be allowed to overstay my trip and stay indefinitely, right?

And what if there was the scenario where I wanted to stay long-term and vote? I might have political opinions different than what you would want for your country, and maybe I should be able to vote, too?...

SimonNZ

Quote from: greg on October 06, 2019, 09:22:43 AM
Simon... since you seem to be very liberal-leaning, do you buy into the idea that the US should not have closed borders? Since that idea seems to have spread a lot recently.

The justification is that it is stolen land, therefore at this point it should be open for everyone.

So New Zealand is in the same situation, being stolen land and all. So that means that, since I'm visiting in a few months, I should be allowed to overstay my trip and stay indefinitely, right?

And what if there was the scenario where I wanted to stay long-term and vote? I might have political opinions different than what you would want for your country, and maybe I should be able to vote, too?...

No. I don't "buy into" that idea, nor have I heard anyone suggest it, least of all for the reason you stated. Where are you getting that idea from?

Re NZ: its a little more complex than that. You should start by reading about the Treaty of Waitangi and the history of Maori claims against the treaty. NZ was lucky in being settled so late that the worst aspects of treatments of indigenous peoples elsewhere were learned from and avoided. And that a couple of early governors were instrumental in curbing the greed of land-grabbers and sellers, most notably Robert FitzRoy (more famous as Darwin's captain on The Beagle).

I don't know what the process is once you overstay your trip, but I'm pretty sure your kids wont be put in cages and you wont be immediately labelled a rapist gang member. If you get citizenship you'll be allowed to vote as you wish, and there's no reason to expect you'll vote as I do. Furthermore I wont be expecting you to dress as I do or to speak English around me unless we're trying to communicate with each other or share my spiritual beliefs. Fwiw my little neighbourhood has a large Indian community - including two of the four flats in my block.

JBS

It should be noted that what the American Right calls "open borders" is what most people would call humane treatment of migrants and immigration rules that keep out only actual criminals and jihadis.

It is a curious fact that some of the most zealous advocates of restrictive immigration are in fact themselves immigrants, white Christians from Europe or various portions of the British Commonwealth.  Apparently these blokes think only people like themnselves should be allowed in.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SimonNZ

White people are "ex-pats", brown people are "immigrants".

Apparently.

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 06, 2019, 06:43:38 PM
White people are "ex-pats", brown people are "immigrants".

Apparently.

If you are Breitbart, that is exactly the case.

greg

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 06, 2019, 10:38:50 AM
No. I don't "buy into" that idea, nor have I heard anyone suggest it, least of all for the reason you stated. Where are you getting that idea from?
Ah ok, no problem then. Just ignore what I wrote.

Not remembering the exact source, but have seen some articles mentioning that and also some people I know with the same attitude, like borders shouldn't exist.  ???

Re NZ: its a little more complex than that. You should start by reading about the Treaty of Waitangi and the history of Maori claims against the treaty. NZ was lucky in being settled so late that the worst aspects of treatments of indigenous peoples elsewhere were learned from and avoided. And that a couple of early governors were instrumental in curbing the greed of land-grabbers and sellers, most notably Robert FitzRoy (more famous as Darwin's captain on The Beagle).
Sure, I've not even scratched the surface of the history. I'm only aware that there were some conflicts in the past between the two groups, so for some time the Europeans were not wanted there.

I don't know what the process is once you overstay your trip, but I'm pretty sure your kids wont be put in cages and you wont be immediately labelled a rapist gang member.
No one thinks that some random person is a necessarily a rapist just because they crossed the border.

But of course there are some that are, or part of gangs, and they come here illegally. I live only about 5 hours from the border, so that type of attitude is not helpful at all. Better safe than sorry.

If I overstayed my trip, and I had kids, they would be put somewhere. And I would be put somewhere- probably somewhere not to great to stay in. And surely the situation would be worse if there were waves of hundreds, or thousands, of people doing the same thing as me at the same time. Not saying the officers at the detention centers are perfect angels that always make the best decisions. Just saying that it's a burden that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Fwiw my little neighbourhood has a large Indian community - including two of the four flats in my block.
That's cool, nowadays I would actually feel at home because of that.  ;D

Moonfish

This thread is aptly named.....

0:)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

greg

So South Park is banned in China now.

I hope Xi Jinping dies a slow, slow, painful, torturous death.

JBS

Todd

Full-on ecopropaganda on display: Oil firms to pour extra 7m barrels per day into markets, data shows

Sub-headline: Projected production surge in next 12 years to be led by Shell despite climate crisis

Other propagandistic elements include placing the article in a grouping or section called "The Polluters" and word choice like: pour, surge, flood, catastrophic, acceleration, "gold standard", "social license" (a particularly nice piece of irrelevant slop sure to be gobbled up by mush-brained lefties).  I especially like how 8% output growth over 12 years constitutes a "surge".

Evil oil companies, providing the market and consumers with the products they need to live their everyday lives.  I know, I know, if we wish - real hard - that wind and solar can produce the type of energy contemporary economic activity requires, said energy will simply materialize. 

Future litigation against private companies - which will of course shift even more market control to state run firms - will be very, very lucrative.  So many billable hours.

SimonNZ

"Major earthquakes in California cause Rams to fumble. More sports news at ten."

I'm reminded of this news presenters line from The Kentucky Fried Movie as local coverage of Typhoon Hagibis fixates on what it means for the All Blacks.

Todd

Local Democrat dipshits in action again:

Fuck up the first: Portland makes speed bump design error, costing taxpayers $75,000

Fuck up the second: Portland Developer Schnitzer says Wapato Jail will be torn down  (For non-locals, Wapato is a jail completed in 2004, at a cost of tens of millions of dollars, that was never used.  Born to wealth Jordan Schnitzer bought it with plans to house the homeless.  Thankfully, he'll get some generous write-offs, the good man.)

drogulus

Quote from: greg on October 06, 2019, 09:22:43 AM

Greg, do you have a favorite immigration restriction? Go back and look at them. Evaluate each one and please report back.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0