The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

I wonder if they used a fake image because they couldn't find a picture of his robot? The one they supply looks identical to the robot from the Short Circuit film:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=%22short+circuit%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lethevich

Quote from: knight on March 30, 2008, 08:28:09 AM
A friend of ours who has a daughter at university in Devon told us that the daughter has a new boyfriend. He is the leader of a group of about 60 people who dress up as elves and fairies and spend weekends living out fantasy scenarios, camping.....and so on. Sometimes for the entire weekend they stay in character, otherwise they, remaining in costume, revert to being themselves for a BBQ.

Initially I thought she said 'Furry' rather than 'Fairy' as I know that in the US they have conventions of people dressed as creatures. But this Fairy one was news to me. Seemingly 60 or so is a smallish troop, some have 200 in them. These larger ones tend to go in for mock fighting. There are also some who dress as Vikings and enact 'mock rape and pillage'.

OMG LARPERS? A rare breed indeed :)

knight66

Lethe, I see....it would appear the publication has been less than fully honest with us. Outraged of Stroud will have to wing a letter of complaint. Presumably the real one is the size of a petrol tanker with the concometent capacity to soak.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

BachQ

Quote from: knight on March 30, 2008, 08:28:09 AM
There are also some who dress as Vikings and enact 'mock rape and pillage'.

How do I join this organization?  I want to sign up ...........

drogulus

Quote from: knight on March 25, 2008, 01:31:38 PM
I know....both our counteries are quietly eroding freedoms. Soon it is to be fingerprinting everyone at the new part of Heathrow Airport; this, so people can circulate round the shops and not be able to swop tickets with one another to board the wrong plane to blow it up.....what are the photos in passports for I wonder?

Mike

Are we supposed to blame ourselves for restricting freedoms because people want to blow up planes? Isn't this typical liberal narcissism, making everything in the galaxy our fault?

We're such baad people for wanting to protect ourselves.

As for that shit who was stopped at the border, think about this: Isn't it more or less part of the drill that you do things that make you unwelcome and then say you've been abused? And as far as taking 8 hours to make a decision, they were probably trying to think of a way to let him in so we wouldn't have this kind of story. But that's OK, you're thinking just what you're supposed to think. Oppression at the border: we aren't letting people in, what's wrong with us?  ::)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Lethevich

Quote from: knight on March 30, 2008, 08:32:18 AM
Lethe, I see....it would appear the publication has been less than fully honest with us. Outraged of Stroud will have to wing a letter of complaint. Presumably the real one is the size of a petrol tanker with the concometent capacity to soak.

I feel like my trust has been betrayed... I will never believe another news story again :'(

knight66

Quote from: Lethe on March 30, 2008, 08:30:34 AM
OMG LARPERS? A rare breed indeed :)

Thank you for that link.....I would not aim to offend anyone here who is into it, but it does seem a bit barking. But if they enjoy it...well.

Mike

knight66

Quote from: drogulus on March 30, 2008, 08:34:55 AM
    Are we supposed to blame ourselves for restricting freedoms because people want to blow up planes? Isn't this typical liberal narcissism, making everything in the galaxy our fault?

We're such baad people for wanting to protect ourselves.

As for that shit who was stopped at the border, think about this: Isn't it more or less part of the drill that you do things that make you unwelcome and then say you've been abused? And as far as taking 8 hours to make a decision, they were probably trying to think of a way to let him in so we wouldn't have this kind of story. But that's OK, you're thinking just what you're supposed to think. Oppression at the border: we aren't letting people in, what's wrong with us?  ::)

If by any chance you are addressing me and imagine you can intuit my attitudes as being those you have outlined; then as so often, you are right off beam.

I am not about to go into this with you. But basically there is plenty of evidence that the petty restrictions being placed on us and that consume time, often have no proven effect of preventing any outrage. So take your comments and place them carefully in that dark place you ought to place your insulting and highly personalised comments on religion.

This is basically supposed to be a fun thread, not an opportunity to insult posters and wrestle them into the ground.

Mike

knight66

Quote from: Dm on March 30, 2008, 08:32:42 AM
How do I join this organization?  I want to sign up ...........

Care to disclose which end of the pillaging you want to join? If only you lived near to Devon!

Mike

BachQ

Quote from: knight on March 30, 2008, 08:45:48 AM
Care to disclose which end of the pillaging you want to join? If only you lived near to Devon!

Mike

I'll begin with the raping team ....... and see how that works out .........

knight66

Quote from: Dm on March 30, 2008, 08:55:28 AM
I'll begin with the raping team ....... and see how that works out .........

I would have thought that ultimately, it would prove to be something of a frustration...and just as well.

Mike

Benny

Quote from: Lethe on March 30, 2008, 08:28:36 AM
I wonder if they used a fake image because they couldn't find a picture of his robot? The one they supply looks identical to the robot from the Short Circuit film:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=%22short+circuit%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Could be a fake photo. It's clearly tied to the Atlanta story on this web site:
http://www.capitolvalley.net/cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi?tag=Japan&IncludeBlogs=1
"The need to be right is the sign of a vulgar mind."
(Albert Camus)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Benny on March 30, 2008, 09:23:06 AM
Could be a fake photo. It's clearly tied to the Atlanta story on this web site:
http://www.capitolvalley.net/cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi?tag=Japan&IncludeBlogs=1

The story states that the robot is made essentially from a Louisiana Cajun Cooker, of which this is a typical example:

So, there is no doubt at all that this media monster has attempted to deceive the unwary. Bloody newspapers! >:(

8)

----------------
Now playing:
LvB Trios #3 & Geister - Staier / Sepec / Queyras - LvB Op 1 #3 Trio in c for Fortepiano & Strings 4th mvmt - Prestissimo
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Lethevich

I'm shocked and apalled... somebody must be held to account for this abuse of media ethics...

knight66

I do hope this bruhaha will not overshadow my unimportant fairy shoes story!

Mike

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Lethe on March 30, 2008, 09:37:17 AM
I'm shocked and apalled... somebody must be held to account for this abuse of media ethics...

Dear Editor,
I am writing to say that I am shocked and appalled at the callus abuse of the public trust presented in your edition of Sunday last. The use of a photo obviously taken from an Internet archive of an Hollywood robot, and placing it in your story about the Atlanta robot where it is obviously intended to portray said Atlanta robot is a clearly fraudulent attempt to deceive the public. I shall see to it that it is YOUR effigy that is hung on Guy Fawkes Day in our village, you Media Satan!

Brig. General (ret.) Chauncey Harold Farquhart (Mrs.)

8)

----------------
Now playing: LvB Trios #3 & Geister - Staier / Sepec / Queyras - LvB Op 70 #1 Trio in D for Fortepiano & Strings 2nd mvmt - Largo assai ed espressivo -

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

BachQ

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 30, 2008, 09:33:37 AM
The story states that the robot is made essentially from a Louisiana Cajun Cooker, of which this is a typical example:

Interesting.  It just so happens that all of my prototype robots are also based on the Louisiana Cajun Cooker .......

Such a coincidence.......

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Dm on March 30, 2008, 10:05:45 AM
Interesting.  It just so happens that all of my prototype robots are also based on the Louisiana Cajun Cooker .......

Such a coincidence.......

Yeah, but do you have paulb with a water pistol inside yours? If so, you can make the World Review and Picayune too. :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Beethoven: Violin and Piano Sonatas - Andreas Staier, Daniel Sepec - Sonate No. 7 Op. 30 No. 2 en ut mineur: II. Adagio cantabile

knight66

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 30, 2008, 09:54:42 AM

Brig. General (ret.) Chauncey Harold Farquhart (Mrs.)[/i]

There is indeed some rough business transacted at the old baptismal font. Only today, my neice had her daughter named 'Tiana'.
Neither one thing nor the other; it sounds to me like the try-out name for a new alcho-pop, perhaps based on Tia Maria.

The baby's name is pronounced Teeeana, with two very flat 'a's.

Mike

BachQ

Child Genius at Oxford Becomes Prostitute
Monday , March 31, 2008

A child prodigy with a talent in mathematics that won her a spot at Oxford at the age of 13 somehow found her way into prostitution.  Sufiah Yusof, who calls herself Shilpa Lee, advertises her body on an Internet sex site, charging 130 pounds an hour or $258.  Yusof and two siblings won university places in their teens but she ran away at age 15 with claims of pressure from her parents.  "It is all desperately heartbreaking," a friend of Yusof said. "With her amazing brain she should be able to make money any way she wants. But instead, her life spiraled completely out of control."  Yusof describes herself as a "sexy, smart student" who prefers "older gentlemen" and offers services every day from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Yusof claims her father was "controlling and bullying," which led her to ending the relationship with her family.